Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM

695 posts, read 1,378,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think it is even older, if I recall correctly there was not a lot of love on the right for Carter either, and many on the left abhored Nixon. LBJ was certainly not immune.
I think you're right, although LBJ was before my time.

What I recall of Carter's Presidency was more of a sadness and frustration. Kind of a, "Come on! Go get 'em man!" attitude.

But it pales in comparison to the vitriol of the last 8 years. THAT has been unprecedented.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:32 PM

271 posts, read 583,437 times
Nope, but that wont stop them, complain about racism=free handouts,welfare,etc etc...

Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,842,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post

I've got a friend named Elaine. She is black, and same age as me .....Elaine would NEVER have gotten by with a FRACTION of the crap she pulled, had she not bee black. She would STILL be in the state penitentiary if she had not so successfully used "the race card."

Two points I'd like to make concerning your story-

#1- There are white people who live their lives the same way. They accept no responsibility for their actions and try to blame everyone else for the wrongs in their life. Black folks do not own the market on denying their own fault for their lot in life.

#2- You really should make some better friends. Thieves and drug dealers, no matter what color they are are just trash.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM

162 posts, read 229,941 times
Blacks will always complain. As I once heard ''the black man has been in the pocket of the white man for over a hundred years and it'll never stop.''

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Two points I'd like to make concerning your story-

#1- There are white people who live their lives the same way. They accept no responsibility for their actions and try to blame everyone else for the wrongs in their life. Black folks do not own the market on denying their own fault for their lot in life.

#2- You really should make some better friends. Thieves and drug dealers, no matter what color they are are just trash.
Once again, I'll remind you that this thread is about BLACKS. Get it?

Also, in my line of work, I don't always pick my friends - though I can honestly say that I like Elaine a great deal. But she is VERY exasperating.

And third, my example was in response to a black person who claims he had "absolutely no idea" what this race card stuff is all about. I think you would know that if you'd read the post.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,929,740 times
YES, racism will always be around, as long as humans are around.

Check this place out if you really want to see something crazy.

http://www.erectuswalksamongst.us/

You should see the things that many post about Hispanics.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,083,710 times
Quote:
I think you're right, although LBJ was before my time.

Now there's a shock, you proclaim to speak about the racial discrimination yet you personal knowledge of American history doesn't even extend the short distance to one of its most despicable eras.

It has been said that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now there's a shock, you proclaim to speak about the racial discrimination yet you personal knowledge of American history doesn't even extend the short distance to one of its most despicable eras.

It has been said that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
...and a lot of stupid is a dangerous thing too.

I was talking SPECIFICALLY about the vitriol aimed at sitting Presidents. And I was saying that I did not personally witness it with LBJ because that was before my time. Actually, I was alive at that time but, being in elementary school, I wasn't paying much attention to things being said about LBJ.

READ before you post crap like this. You're only embarrassing yourself!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
That has nothing to do with the fact that they could get jobs like any other college person. It has nothing to do with race. What you stated is just using the victim card again and nothing else. I am of Mexican descent and I made it and worked my way through college. There is no reason that any black, white, or any other race or ethnicity could not do the same thing. The problem right now is that the economy sucks. I know plenty whites that are having to drop out of college because they can no longer afford it, all because of the economy.
I don't care if you are Mexican or Martian. I know for a fact that there are many hiring managers who simply will not hire blacks. That is a fact. You can call it a victim card all you want. I worked my way through college too. What do you want, a cookie? But don't look at yourself and think that blatant discrimination such as what I mentioned does not exist.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,417,488 times
Quote:
Refer to the title of this thread.

"Now with Obama soon to be in office, can BLACKS complain about racism?"

Maybe you missed that part.
I'm sure she is referring to the title of the thread. Why are blacks being singled out simply because we finally have a black POTUS?

I believe Pirate Girl's point is that white people have had 43 POTUS' and many of them are still on welfare and living in poverty 200 years later. Why would anyone think that one black POTUS will or even should equal massive changes in the lives of all black people as opposed to all Americans?

At the end of the day, not only is this post offensive, but also blatantly ignorant and racist.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-01-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections