Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times

Advertisements

I hate obama for who he is. a democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
He's a black man. First black President of the United States.

But, as we can see on this thread, his election has not eliminated racism from this society. It's actually brought it out in the open more, thanks to those who are hating on Obama because of who he is. If Obama were so white, why have the racists come out of the woodwork in response to his election?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
he's not half white, he's actually 100% white. the only black influence in his life left him when he was a child. he became black when it was in his political interest. I bet if he had a white wife he would be white, and thus explains his marriage.

You should really consider reading his book- he speaks of his struggles with race identification from the time he was about 9 years old and he read an article about a black man who tried to bleach himself.

I'm not black, so I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been for him to figure out where he fit and why there were such issues with his skin color.

Obama overcame so much just by dealing constructively with his biracial heritage.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
So you're admitting that Obama chose to be referred to has half black because racism still exists?

Does that mean that he knew if he spoke of being half white, he wouldn't have had any chance of being elected?

That makes it sound like it's the blacks who are racists.
Again, read his book. He did not choose to identify himself in any specific way- he just found a place where he fit and that was in the black community after he returned to America after his time in Indonesia.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

no thanks. if I read an autobiography, it's going to be about someone interesting, not a typical politician. barack found it hard to fit in on the beaches of hawaii? yeah, that must have been rough on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
You should really consider reading his book- he speaks of his struggles with race identification from the time he was about 9 years old and he read an article about a black man who tried to bleach himself.

I'm not black, so I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been for him to figure out where he fit and why there were such issues with his skin color.

Obama overcame so much just by dealing constructively with his biracial heritage.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
if he had a white wife, he would have been shunned by the black community. that is why he married his wife. it's called politics. they both stood to gain. the clintons did the same thing.
So you claim he married his wife because of his political aspirations?

You really do have issues with black people, don't you? Why is it out of the realm of possibility to you that he met an intelligent, attractive woman with ambitions similar to his own, fell in love, and got married?

Black people have the same hopes, dreams and desires as everyone else. The only difference between black, white, red, brown or yellow people is the outside- on the inside, we are all the same. Some good, some bad. Some intelligent, some ignorant.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I hate obama for who he is. a democrat.

So you hate him? Now your narrowminded posts make sense. Thank you for finally being honest.

Would you hate him if he were the same Obama in white skin with blonde hair and blue eyes? A lovely blonde wife?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
no thanks. if I read an autobiography, it's going to be about someone interesting, not a typical politician. barack found it hard to fit in on the beaches of hawaii? yeah, that must have been rough on him.

You mean you'll only read books about white people, right?

And you obviously have never attempted to learn anything about racism other than mastering the practice.

Living on an island with beaches, volcanoes and palm trees does not negate racism. The borders of Hawaii are open to everyone, including racists.

And consider he was a biracial child in the 70s- he was born before blacks had the right to vote. The wounds on both sides were still fresh. People were still being prosecuted for entering into biracial marriages.

You should read some history books and sit down and speak with a black baby boomer. You could really learn alot.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
I believe that, in general, black people have greater educational opportunities available to us than we did in the past. As I have previously stated, there are greater numbers of black people attending colleges/universities than at any other time in history. I believe that those of us who are in a position to take advantage of these opportunities, are doing so. However, I also recognize that there are certain segments of the black community whose circumstances don't allow them to attend college.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
The links Ovcatto provided give absolutely no evidence whatever of whites getting preferential treatment. None. They say that HBCUs have been aggressively recruiting non-black students, offering scholarships, etc. That's far from "preferential treatment."

And for the record, I have absolutely no problems whatever with HBCUs. My point is that blacks DO have innumerable opportunities to get a GREAT education. Would you deny that?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM

my issue is with politicians. I could care less of color, which is why I also brought up the clinton sham marriage, so that you race baiting libs couldn't pigeonhole me no matter how hard you tried. his marriage is one of convenience. the fact that you call michelle obama attractive is disturbing. I rank that right up there with those people who called palin "every man's dream."

Quote:
So you claim he married his wife because of his political aspirations?

You really do have issues with black people, don't you? Why is it out of the realm of possibility to you that he met an intelligent, attractive woman with ambitions similar to his own, fell in love, and got married?

Black people have the same hopes, dreams and desires as everyone else. The only difference between black, white, red, brown or yellow people is the outside- on the inside, we are all the same. Some good, some bad. Some intelligent, some ignorant.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM

I don't like blonds. yes, I hate politicians, both black, white, democrat, and republican. nice try with the race baiting. you aren't at all typical.

Quote:
So you hate him? Now your narrowminded posts make sense. Thank you for finally being honest.

Would you hate him if he were the same Obama in white skin with blonde hair and blue eyes? A lovely blonde wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections