Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times

Advertisements

Actually, I am completely right. If HBCUs are (1) willing to accept whites and (2) giving them preferential treatment during the admission process, they clearly are not engaging in institutionalized racism (a systemic or pervasive form of racism). Are you implying that these schools should close their doors because whites don't want to go there?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
You're partially right.

Yes, ANYBODY can attend these colleges - which is great. But there are extremely few non-blacks who attend them.

The POINT is that there are WONDERFUL educational opportunities available to blacks. Why aren't more blacks taking advantage of them? It CANNOT be "institutional racism" in HBCUs.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Actually, I am completely right. If HBCUs are (1) willing to accept whites and (2) giving them preferential treatment during the admission process, they clearly are not engaging in institutionalized racism (a systemic or pervasive form of racism). Are you implying that these schools should close their doors because whites don't want to go there?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Did I imply that?

I will say it AGAIN - and I'm going to ask you the same question again.

- It's GREAT that blacks have all these opportunities for a good education. - Why are there so few who are taking advantage of them?

One of my wife's co-workers has a daughter who is headed to Grambling next year. That's GREAT! So why are there so many blacks who are sitting around talking about how it can't be done?

...and for the record, you're going to have to provide PROOF of this "preferential treatment" white kids are getting at these HBCUs.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
So why are there so many blacks who are sitting around talking about how it can't be done?

And I will ask again, who are these alleged "blacks" who are making these statements?

[/quote]...and for the record, you're going to have to provide PROOF of this "preferential treatment" white kids are getting at these HBCUs.[/quote]

Black On Campus » Blog Archive » White at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)

HBCU (http://www.nyfiskalumni.com/HBCU.htm - broken link)

Why don't more whites choose to go to HBCUs? :: WRAL.com

Diversity Changes the Face of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) | Find Diversity Jobs | Workplace Diversity News, Articles, Blogs and more (http://www.diversityjobs.com/diversity-changes-historically-black-colleges-and-universities - broken link)

Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
My post was in response to your comment about the relatively few whites who were choosing HBCUs. My impression was that you had an issue w/HBCUs - if that is not correct, I apologize.

Additionally, I can't agree with your premise that there are so many black people complaining about what can't be done. There are increasing numbers of blacks who are attaining higher education and breaking barriers in our choosen professions. The black people who aren't attending college probably have similar reasons as their white counterparts (affordability, academic ability, etc).

As for preferential admission standards for whites at HBCUs, Ovcatto has provided a few links. You can feel free to look for additional info on your own.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Did I imply that?

I will say it AGAIN - and I'm going to ask you the same question again.

- It's GREAT that blacks have all these opportunities for a good education. - Why are there so few who are taking advantage of them?

One of my wife's co-workers has a daughter who is headed to Grambling next year. That's GREAT! So why are there so many blacks who are sitting around talking about how it can't be done?

...and for the record, you're going to have to provide PROOF of this "preferential treatment" white kids are getting at these HBCUs.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Blacks should not complain

They've made it to the highest position in the United States Government

They've seem MLK's dream come true

Affirmative Action needs to go away

NAACP needs to go away

and Oh BTW, the biggest racists I have ever met were black...
you need to go away w/this nonsense....report this post -- wiseguy...

Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM

It's interesting that not one single one of those sites provides ANY evidence for whites being given "preferential treatment" at these HBCUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And I will ask again, who are these alleged "blacks" who are making these statements?

...and for the record, you're going to have to provide PROOF of this "preferential treatment" white kids are getting at these HBCUs.[/quote]

Black On Campus » Blog Archive » White at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)

HBCU (http://www.nyfiskalumni.com/HBCU.htm - broken link)

Why don't more whites choose to go to HBCUs? :: WRAL.com

Diversity Changes the Face of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) | Find Diversity Jobs | Workplace Diversity News, Articles, Blogs and more (http://www.diversityjobs.com/diversity-changes-historically-black-colleges-and-universities - broken link)[/quote]

Old 12-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
My post was in response to your comment about the relatively few whites who were choosing HBCUs. My impression was that you had an issue w/HBCUs - if that is not correct, I apologize.

Additionally, I can't agree with your premise that there are so many black people complaining about what can't be done. There are increasing numbers of blacks who are attaining higher education and breaking barriers in our choosen professions. The black people who aren't attending college probably have similar reasons as their white counterparts (affordability, academic ability, etc).

As for preferential admission standards for whites at HBCUs, Ovcatto has provided a few links. You can feel free to look for additional info on your own.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
The links Ovcatto provided give absolutely no evidence whatever of whites getting preferential treatment. None. They say that HBCUs have been aggressively recruiting non-black students, offering scholarships, etc. That's far from "preferential treatment."

And for the record, I have absolutely no problems whatever with HBCUs. My point is that blacks DO have innumerable opportunities to get a GREAT education. Would you deny that?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
There isn't anything wrong with racism as long as it is not used against them.. i.e. jobs, pay, housing, etc. etc. For instance, you can dislike people with brown hair... should you change because society deems we are all equal... but even if we all are equal, don't you have the right to dislike a person?... equality doesn't mean you have to force yourself to like someone... it just means, being treated equally in the job market, pay schedule, etc. Racism today is alot different than racism of the old times... people today that are racist against blacks are more hateful of blacks that think the world owes them something, dress like a thug and acts like a retard, etc. etc. The more professional a black person acts, then you see that racism disappear... its all about how you present yourself... you want to be treated differently, then start dressing and talking appropriately without the attitude...

Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,180 times
Quote:
You're right.

The bottom line is that everybody likes to have an excuse when things don't go their way.

Sometimes it's legit, and other times it's not. But to automatically blame everything on racism is a crock. I am VERY much a minority in my neighborhood, and the part of the city in which I live. And honestly, I cannot recall one single problem where racism was the core. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
You are right. Racism isn't always the reason. But often it is. The "crock" is the supposition that because Obama was elected president, racism is dead.

These cries for the end of affirmative action and the disbanding of the NAACP in the immediate aftermath of the election are a transparent attempt to diminish what some feel is only a victory for African Americans as opposed to a victory for all Americans. It's backlash.

Oh yes, on the other hand, there are those who claim that Obama is not really black anyway, but is a "Mulatto." Another attempt to take away from the significance of Obama's historic acheivement. It's pathetic, really. Apparently, we still have a ways to go before we can safely say racism is uncommon in the US.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,665,275 times
Racism will always exist!!!

END OF STORY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections