Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 AM

11,349 posts, read 16,711,567 times

Advertisements

Racism will always be there, no matter what color a person is, but at what time in history do we say Afirm Action is no longer needed?

Say in 300 years, could you imagine telling someone in 2308 that this was started in the 1970's and still needed?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I'm seeing, reading, and hearing more racism than I did before he was elected.

Take a look at some of the threads here- people have referred to Obama as "boy" and have been very clear that they don't want a Black President.

Much of the vitriol, including the challenge of his birth, is rooted deeply in racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
One only has to looks at some of the posts on this forum to realise there is still a long way to go before racism becomes a thing of the past...

Racism is about ignorance ,fear, prejudice and distrust and those things take a long time to change. Not that racism only goes one way, as of course racism is prevalent in ALL societies and all races towards the "other". Once again those are ingrained attitudes and trying to eradicate them is not that simple.
I agree that the ridiculous accusations about Sen. Obama (his citizenship, fidelity to the US, the 'he will "ban" guns' rhetoric, etc.) are deeply rooted in racism. And out of that basis of racism have come - and will continue to come - some quite insidious PR attacks.

Aside from "can blacks complain about racism" [what a bizarre title], I know that racism exists and that, as stated, it will take generations to eradicate.

Is it not amazing that not so long ago we (as a nation) had government sanctioned enslavement of human beings based upon their race? What an incredible notion...

I am heartened by the fact that Senator Obama was elected as our President. That alone gives me temperate hope for our country.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Did you ever think that none with the qualifications needed applied? They don't have to hire someone that isn't qualified just to get more blacks to make people like you happy. I know all too often that companies hire unqualified people because of race and ethnicity to keep up with the ignorant and wrong quotas that they have to go by, but it is wrong.
Actually, our manufacturing probably covers any quotas that would be required. In management, however there are no black people either.

I have personally recommended two very strong candidates who were black in recent years. And although their resumes were strong and they had tremendous experience in our field, they never made it past the first interview. In one instance, a person with a BS in Business was overlooked in favor of a non degreed candidate- and "technically" we do not hire persons in the sales force who are not degreed.

I also know of another black individual who went through the application process- and the hiring manager planned to offer him the job. However, three weeks into the interview process, the position was "frozen" for 90 days and could not be filled.

I just don't understand how a company can be so blatantly racist in this regard, yet do so well in other areas of inclusion.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Actually, our manufacturing probably covers any quotas that would be required. In management, however there are no black people either.

I have personally recommended two very strong candidates who were black in recent years. And although their resumes were strong and they had tremendous experience in our field, they never made it past the first interview. In one instance, a person with a BS in Business was overlooked in favor of a non degreed candidate- and "technically" we do not hire persons in the sales force who are not degreed.

I also know of another black individual who went through the application process- and the hiring manager planned to offer him the job. However, three weeks into the interview process, the position was "frozen" for 90 days and could not be filled.

I just don't understand how a company can be so blatantly racist in this regard, yet do so well in other areas of inclusion.
Has it ever occurred to you that there might be perfectly legitimate reasons?

I'm perfectly well aware of the fact that there are stupid racists everywhere. But some people are determined to make any and everything into a racial issue, when sometimes that's just not it at all.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
With Affirmative Action and the numerous laws to protect civil liberties, racism has evolved into personal perception.
In the past, blatant examples like seperate doors, water fountains, unfair hiring pratices, etc. were very easy to discern, now the definition of racism seems much more open to interpretation.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
With Affirmative Action and the numerous laws to protect civil liberties, racism has evolved into personal perception.
In the past, blatant examples like seperate doors, water fountains, unfair hiring pratices, etc. were very easy to discern, now the definition of racism seems much more open to interpretation.
You're right.

The bottom line is that everybody likes to have an excuse when things don't go their way.

Sometimes it's legit, and other times it's not. But to automatically blame everything on racism is a crock. I am VERY much a minority in my neighborhood, and the part of the city in which I live. And honestly, I cannot recall one single problem where racism was the core. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 AM

216 posts, read 290,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
One black man achieving success in politics doesn't mean anything. Why would anyone but a complete moron think otherwise?

Oprah becoming the richest entertainer didn't mean that racism was over. Jackie Robinson making it to the big leagues didn't mean racism was over. Why the h*ll would Obama's success mean that racism was over?
Nicely stated, thank you!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
An older thread on the same topic - Something to read....

The theme of the linked article in that OP is the same - that now black people can no longer claim they've been racially discriminated against because the President is black

"This is nothing but a license - a hog-call 'if you will' - for the white racist group to uncork their true feelings, to brush aside the institutionalized disadvantages that much of the black group still suffers under, as an excuse for trying to maintain their (narrowing) lead in the economic class war, by hook or by crook.

"And you know they're going to SCREAM at the INJUSTICE when mostly-black schools become well funded because traditionally black areas become entrepreneurial and invite wealthy corporations in to develop and hire, when their bosses are black, when the valedictorian of their kid's graduating class is black."

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 AM

216 posts, read 290,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You're confusing two different issues. You are right that every race has racism. Or nearly so. But that's not the problem in America.

The real problem in America is that one form of racism has been internalized and built into the fabric of our institutions. White racism is an integral part of our society, and it creates large barriers for minorities which means that they have much more trouble achieving the levels of success than they would if they were white. "Black racism" doesn't hold a candle to "white racism" in that regard. And because it's such a long-lasting and pervasive imbalance, it needs to be addressed and corrected.

Again, one black man achieving success does not mean that all those institutional barriers are gone.
So true and for me a place to start would be the legal system. Making right the wrongs for many minorities who have been given longer prison time compared to whites for the same or similar crimes.

It's just foolish for anyone to think that racism ended with the election of Obama. Maybe Obama presidency will serve to help build better race relations in America. This will not be a easy task because everytime I come onto this site, someone is criticizing Obama for something and he hasn't officially taken office yet.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:03 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Did I say that?
I was just restating my basic position. You were implying that racism was a pervasive problem only because there are racists of every race. Would you address my main criticism of your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections