Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Shouldn't Barrack Obamas' inaugeration day be designated a national holiday? He is already a hero in my eyes. Look around and see how he has inspired us all and brought this country to its' feet again. Michelle is proud of america for the first time, and so are we. Jesse Jackson is crying tears of joy, and so are we. Ben and Jerry now have 'Yes Pecan' ice cream to comemorate our new leader.....that's good enough for me.
Let our voices be heard!!!

JANUARY 21ST. OBAMA DAY!!!!
Shouldn't we at least wait until he's in office first? What if he doesn't do a very good job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 AM

302 posts, read 580,450 times
If Obama is hailed as a hero for simply being black have we not failed Martin Luther King? His "dream" will have to wait a little longer I suppose.

Quote:
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Let's just see what he does then we'll talk about a holiday.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I said my opinion was open to criticism. Not insult. I am NOT and ignorant person and will not be called such without rebutal. It is easy to context someones writing the way one wants, reading what one wishes to see into a statement and using that as a platform to attack. That is "ignorant" in and of itself. As to Obamas 'heroism", sorry , I'm not convinced, but that just boils down to a personal definition of a hero. I think I already said that though.. I do find merit in your thoughts of a shift in role models. I certainly feel that Obama is more worthy of the admiration of young people than some of the glitzy bling kings and queens holding down a posh place in Beverly Hills. Nevertheless, his election ,and the resultant ruckus, does not elevate him so far above and beyond to get me all stirred up. 40 years from segregation? So what. Are we supposed to be so inspired JUST because he's black? I don't care what color he is. Matters as much as a fart in a high wind to me but it seems to be the single factor that a lot of folks are considering to be the hallmark of his achieving the office. At the end of the day it's just another presidential election to me. And Obama is no more historic, yet, than any other president has been. No, I still don't "get it". Nor am I ever likely to. I certainly don't feel the need to rush out and get my Obama collector plate, nor am I going to be glued to the tube tomorrow watching in awe as he takes the oath of office. I have a job to do, the guys not feeding my family nor is he likely to. Nor does he care about my problems any more han I care what color he is. He bleeds red and hits the can in the morning just like I do. But I'm thinking that, unlike me, he hasn't seen his own blood making a living like I do on a daily basis. he's got "people" for that LMAO. Just another smooth talkin' politician.
I'm sorry to say this again but your statements are ignorant point blank. You must be very young or ignorant. To say that Obama's election is not more historic than others is ignorant. To say he hasn't worked feeding his family( because he hasn't seen his blood) is ignorant. Those aren't your opinions, those are ignorant statements. Ignorant meaning "unknowing". To say "so what" regarding segregation is more than ignorant. It almost sounds as if you're jealous of Obama. To attempt to dismiss this day as any other day is ignorant..Sorry but it is what it is. 2 million people don't show up to support somebody on a "regular day". Also, people are inspired becasue he is inspirational. I attended the inauguration today and their was nothing average about today. People feel united in rebuilding this country with this man. I can understand why that's so hard to fathom after 8 years of desperation under Bush/Cheney. I was cynical as well but like 2 million of my new friends I'm once again optomistic about the future of this country.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I don't understand the mentality that says it's not a big deal to have the first President with ancestral roots in Africa. To say it's not a big deal is to ignore the many years of discrimination against groups of people due to their skin color and ethnic background. This country was founded on many things - one of them being black slavery.

Even if you're a conservative, surely you must understand the symbolism of this. I would think that conservatives would understand it even more than liberals, since it's usually conservatives who get excited about symbolic issues such as the American Flag, displaying the Ten Commandments, "traditional" marriage, etc.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Commentary: Obama's just the kind of hero we need now - CNN.com

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Shouldn't Barrack Obamas' inaugeration day be designated a national holiday? He is already a hero in my eyes. Look around and see how he has inspired us all and brought this country to its' feet again. Michelle is proud of america for the first time, and so are we. Jesse Jackson is crying tears of joy, and so are we. Ben and Jerry now have 'Yes Pecan' ice cream to comemorate our new leader.....that's good enough for me.
Let our voices be heard!!!

JANUARY 21ST. OBAMA DAY!!!!
My goodness, he is just a man. You really need to lower your expectations before you crash and burn. He is not MLK, Ghandi, and he is definitely not God incarnate (Jesus) so give him a break. I would hate to be in Obama's shoes, you people are setting your sights entirely too high. No man can solve the world's problems, especially in light of the Congress he has, the corruption of Washington DC, and especially Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Give it a rest and let the man stand a chance.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Just a few more days and my life will change drastically.
My Mother-in-Law said she is going to kill herself when Obama becomes President.

As soon as the swearing in is over, I'm going over to her place. If she's dead I'm going to get her radio. It's a nice battery operated one that cost her a couple hundred bucks.

She never listens to any station other than the one that that Nazi drug addict comes on. I'm going to disinfect it and see if I can get NPR.
I feel sorry for your spouse. I hope they know how you feel about you mother-in-law.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'm sorry to say this again but your statements are ignorant point blank. You must be very young or ignorant. To say that Obama's election is not more historic than others is ignorant. To say he hasn't worked feeding his family( because he hasn't seen his blood) is ignorant. Those aren't your opinions, those are ignorant statements. Ignorant meaning "unknowing". To say "so what" regarding segregation is more than ignorant. It almost sounds as if you're jealous of Obama. To attempt to dismiss this day as any other day is ignorant..Sorry but it is what it is. 2 million people don't show up to support somebody on a "regular day". Also, people are inspired becasue he is inspirational. I attended the inauguration today and their was nothing average about today. People feel united in rebuilding this country with this man. I can understand why that's so hard to fathom after 8 years of desperation under Bush/Cheney. I was cynical as well but like 2 million of my new friends I'm once again optomistic about the future of this country.
Your judgementalism is ignorant, your dismissal of differing views and opinions is ignorant, your assumptions are ignorant, your jump to name calling is ignorant. I can dismiss this day in any way I choose, and what anyone may think of that I may dismiss as well. To label me as ignorant simply because my views differ from your own smacks of narcisistic elitism. I can't care HOW many people showed up to gape in awe today. I wasn't one of them. That does not make me ignorant. Worship the guy all you will, thats fine. just don't expect everyone to do the same. Sheesh, he's as human as the rest of us. Why should I HAVE to feel the need to be blinded by the light just because you do? OK he's taken the office and I am less than impressed. Regardless of the feeling of unity that some feel surrounds Obama I feel that ultimately he will be the cause of more division in this country than we have seen to date. I'm not the only person that feels this way either. There are also millions of people that feel quite uninspired by the new President. We just don't get to have big parties on taxpayer money and national TV. Oh, and believe me this, I wish I WAS young. I'm not and I'm feeling older by the minute.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
The pictures are all over the internet. Not hard t find. Head on off to lala land today and have a great time looking fora toilet. Could be Obamas first crisis. Liberals first whine fest. I can't find a place to peeeee
Just like I thought, no pictures, just mispelled nonsense and lies....You should tune into MSNBC at 10pm and watch the inaugural balls. Good fun. It's strange having intelligence back in the White House. Your posts remind me of what flew out of Washington today.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Your judgementalism is ignorant, your dismissal of differing views and opinions is ignorant, your assumptions are ignorant, your jump to name calling is ignorant. I can dismiss this day in any way I choose, and what anyone may think of that I may dismiss as well. To label me as ignorant simply because my views differ from your own smacks of narcisistic elitism. I can't care HOW many people showed up to gape in awe today. I wasn't one of them. That does not make me ignorant. Worship the guy all you will, thats fine. just don't expect everyone to do the same. Sheesh, he's as human as the rest of us. Why should I HAVE to feel the need to be blinded by the light just because you do? OK he's taken the office and I am less than impressed. Regardless of the feeling of unity that some feel surrounds Obama I feel that ultimately he will be the cause of more division in this country than we have seen to date. I'm not the only person that feels this way either. There are also millions of people that feel quite uninspired by the new President. We just don't get to have big parties on taxpayer money and national TV. Oh, and believe me this, I wish I WAS young. I'm not and I'm feeling older by the minute.
You make statements like the above based on what? You concede a feeling of unity but believe it to be something else? You're less impressed since he's taken office. He's been in office 6 hours.

LOL..Your assumptions are ignorant..Sorry, they just aren't based on anything. Also, the tax revenue generated by the inaugration will offset the costs because it takes lots of planes, trains, automobiles, hotels, food, gas etc. to unite 2 million people(more people to ever attend an event on the Capitol). You haters are the ones making these grandios predictions and using words/terms like "awe", "worship" and "see the light", not me. Those are your words. They are weak ignorant attempts to disparage. I know he's only a man but he's the first man in a long time that has done what he's done in creating so much optomism in such a wide array of people.

You can dismiss something and I can call it ignorant. If that upsets you, oh well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections