Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times

Advertisements

POLITICO 44: The Obama Presidency. Minute by Minute
“I couldn’t be Judd Gregg and serve in the Cabinet. I should have faced up to the reality of that earlier.”

Gregg said the Census was not a major factor in his decision – that the bigger factors were his background as a fiscal conservative and independence. He said he made the White House aware of his concerns as he wrestled with the decisions over the last week. “It’s been very difficult,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think he caved to Boehner and his ilk. Gregg dared to break off from his peer group. Either that or he planned on doing this all along.
He's a loyal Confederate and knows that his team wont take him back for accepting his role. Ray LaHood, another Republican who accepted the position as Sec. of Transportation, was going to retire from politics anyway and likely does not give a damn what any Republicans are thinking of him. Not so much with Gregg. He wanted back on the bus. Good riddance, and a poor choice from Team Obama, who have made a few so far.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM

“Senator Gregg reached out to the President and offered his name for Secretary of Commerce. He was very clear throughout the interviewing process that despite past disagreements about policies, he would support, embrace, and move forward with the President’s agenda,” White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in a statement.

“Once it became clear after his nomination that Senator Gregg was not going to be supporting some of President Obama’s key economic priorities, it became necessary for Senator Gregg and the Obama administration to part ways

Old 02-12-2009, 04:16 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,124,736 times
At least he (Gregg) was man enough to admit that he made a mistake in accepting the post in the first place, and for that I give the man credit.....If he could not be 100% for the POTUS then he shouldn't be there...Simple as that.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:19 PM

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports - Judd Gregg withdraws as nominee for Commerce Secretary, says he won't run in 2010 - Thursday, Feb. 12, 2009
Judd Gregg withdraws as nominee for Commerce Secretary, says he won't run in 2010
In a conference call with reporters on Thursday to discuss his withdrawal from the Commerce Secretary nomination, Gregg also said he did not intend to run for reelection in 2010.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:23 PM

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports - Judd Gregg withdraws as nominee for Commerce Secretary, says he won't run in 2010 - Thursday, Feb. 12, 2009
The former staffer, Kevin Koonce, has been identified in court papers only as “Staffer F” in the sprawling corruption probe stemming from disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

Gregg said at the time that he had been told he was neither a subject nor target of the investigation, and would cooperate fully.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,261,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think he caved to Boehner and his ilk. Gregg dared to break off from his peer group. Either that or he planned on doing this all along.
I think you may have a point. Perhaps, it was planned by repubs as a way to embarass Obama.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He's a loyal Confederate and knows that his team wont take him back for accepting his role. Ray LaHood, another Republican who accepted the position as Sec. of Transportation, was going to retire from politics anyway and likely does not give a damn what any Republicans are thinking of him. Not so much with Gregg. He wanted back on the bus. Good riddance, and a poor choice from Team Obama, who have made a few so far.
Lahood represents the district in rural central Illinois where Caterpillar is headquartered. The construction projects in the stimulus package would benefit Caterpilllar. Obama also won big time in central Illinois (that's right, it's not just Chicago that voted for Obama; the guns-and-religion region of Illinois also voted for him). Lahood really had no GOP backlash to worry about.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Malfeasance? Were you living in another country the past 8 years? Malfeasance is back home in Texas (Oops, that one is the Moron, I meant to say Malfeasance is in Wyoming)
Typical. You Dems. simply can't own a screw-up of your own, can you?

It's become abundantly clear that no one here knows much about Judd Gregg. He fancies himself a quite independent conservative and has even refused appointments to GOP Party leadership. It seems y'all can't come to grips with people who don't operate as party tools.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm familiar with Gregg because he was previously my congressman, I've heard him speak many times and I've met him.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 02-12-2009 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,261,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
“I couldn’t be Judd Gregg and serve in the Cabinet. I should have faced up to the reality of that earlier.”

Gregg said the Census was not a major factor in his decision – that the bigger factors were his background as a fiscal conservative and independence. He said he made the White House aware of his concerns as he wrestled with the decisions over the last week. “It’s been very difficult,” he said.
I wonder if this is a bigger issue than Gregg will acknowledge. Also, the rearing of Jack Abramoff's ugly head is interesting.
Clip:
Mr. Gregg said that the Census had been “only a slight issue” in his decision to withdraw. Nevertheless, the Census has been a big issue between Republicans and Democrats for years, and Mr. Gregg has been involved in the dispute. A decade ago, he resisted efforts by President Bill Clinton to increase financing for the 2000 Census.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us...gewanted=print
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections