Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
Did anyone catch Wallace on faux news last night call Jindal an immigrant.

That was precious.

I'm no fan of Jindal and I thought his speech was weak, but hey, lay of his race/ethnicity. As a country we should be just as proud if an Indian person gets in office as we were for a black man. It shows our diversity.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 02-25-2009 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: reference to deleted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,721,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Uh, see, THAT is what SCIENCE is all about

Don't fully understand something?

FIND OUT ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

Sheesh, repubs and science! Ooops! I put them in the same sentence!!!
What are your "scientific" credentials? My post, that you have so readily taken out of context, was directed at no one else but ParkTwain. My point was he carelessly agrees to throw away money at something he DOES NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND. What are YOU going to learn from this 140 million dollars worth of monitoring?????? Do you think the "scientists" are going to come to your home, thank you for your support and then present detailed reports? Unless you live in a volcanic region then none of this applies to you.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Those sneaky Dems.... Kind of like Bush not budgeting the 2 wars at all. You know, no accountability?

Wouldn't have been five wars, including the two we are now fighting, had Carter installed a new government in Iran like his national security advisor was practically begging him to do in 1979. Had Clinton not allowed the CIA to fall into an ineffective state with zero operatives in Afghanistan due to inadequate budgets, a 25% attrition rate and no leadership from the White House even after five successfully attacks on US interests by al Qaeda during the Clinton Presidency, the failed 9/11 plot would be a footnote in history along with the other two failed al Qaeda plots during the Clinton years.

You can go back to mindlessly blaming everything on GWB now.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Understanding volcanos isn't just an activity reserved for the "locals".

1. There is more than one U.S. state with dormant or active volcanos.
2. The scientific knowledge obtained from one volcano can be used to understand other volcanos.
3. The USGS is consulted by nations all over the world.
4. The USGS sends its scientific personnel all over the world to study volcanos found elsewhere.
5. The USGS is sometimes sent to other nations to study volcanos whose eruptions might threaten territory and resources in which the U.S. has a "strategic interest" or in which U.S. multinational corporations have a "significant" economic interest.

Am I getting through to you yet!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,212,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'll save everyone a bit of money, volcanoes erupt so don't build cities next to them, fault lines tend to cause earthquakes so don't build big cities around them, water is very destructive force so don't build cities underwater.

Evolution should be allowed to take place on the folks that ignore those very obvious problems... the whole natural selection thingy...
While I commend your logic. I just think it is just a weeeeeeeee bit too late for that way of thinking since most village's, towns, cities etc have been in place long before geographical defects or meteorological abnormalities were learned.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,212,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wouldn't have been five wars, including the two we are now fighting, had Carter installed a new government in Iran like his national security advisor was practically begging him to do in 1979. Had Clinton not allowed the CIA to fall into an ineffective state with zero operatives in Afghanistan due to inadequate budgets, a 25% attrition rate and no leadership from the White House even after five successfully attacks on US interests by al Qaeda during the Clinton Presidency, the failed 9/11 plot would be a footnote in history along with the other two failed al Qaeda plots during the Clinton years.

You can go back to mindlessly blaming everything on GWB now.
Sorry, but all your ranting about previous administrations truly pales in comparison to Bushes failed policies...

Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,183,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

I'm no fan of Jindal and I thought his speech was weak, but hey, lay of his race/ethnicity. As a country we should be just as proud if an Indian person gets in office as we were for a black man. It shows our diversity.

My comment was just in line with Wallace's comment that Jindal was an immigrant.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 02-25-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: reference to deleted material

Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
A major eruption of Mt Rainier isn't going to kill only 57 people next time, unless there's LOTS of monitoring and warnings.
Fund it through the normal channels, not the emergency spending bill that is supposed to be for stimulating the economy. Making this a free for all for every single liberal wish list pipe dream means that we are simply borrowing money that our children will be forced to repay to study a volcano. It has nothing to do with creating jobs. Liberals should never be put in charge of money. Obama has already doubled the federal deficit one month into the job. Now he is promising to cut the defict in half in two years.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I think that it is high time that the US stop paying those hurricane monitoring earmarks just for Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.
Are those included in the emergency spending bill?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If he was out of touch with California, that might not be a bad thing. What made him so out of touch with democrats is that he thinks people should take personal responsibility and not rely on government for the answers. Imagine that kind of thinking?

How does one take personal responsibility for adequate hurricane warnings, viability of levees, and rescue in cases of massive structural failures due to faulty construction?

Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections