Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,177,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo++ View Post
Upstate New York - Election Results 2009 - The New York Times

Not comparable at all. EvilRepublican provides a link as reference to some anonymous "Plattsburgh attorney" on some right-wing blog with figures that are several thousand less than the verifiable New York Times figures.

This would indicate that the anonymous attorney/blogger's totals would be, at best, hours out-of-date compared to the New York Times numbers.

Furthermore, the NYT source link indicates 93% reporting, whereas the coastalrap post stated 6% remaining (94%), inconsistent with EvilRepublican's lower vote count compared to New York Times numbers and, predictably, coastalrap provided no source for his 6% figure.
Yeah that is certainly some "3 point margin being turned into a false 4 point margin"

I understand when people argue over ideology, but why are people arguing over something that can be proven without a doubt and is based on the numbers? I never understood why people knowingly lie about the numbers of the outcome when it is so easy to prove them wrong.

Since 5% of the precincts still haven't reported the margin could go up to 5% or down to 4%, it is currently at 4.4%.

Margin of victory aside the fact remains that the conservative tea bag wing of the Republican Party fell a few notches with Hoffman and the more reasoned Republicans started to rise with McDonnell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
her main guy hoffman cant even win a seat held by the right for the last 150 years.

im telling you, palin's endorsement of him was the deathnail of his race. she is too divisive, and overwhelming americans are sour on her.

Palin, you say?

Could have been Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh. Or maybe the three of them are some sort of unholy rightwing triumvirate that the voters wanted no part of.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I agree, there are conservatives in all parties. I think recent polls showed just that most people are conservatives.

Problem is, many people don't know who to vote for unless they can find that letter after their name and it matches the one on their voter registration card.
you are right, those who call themsleves republicans have gone down in recent years, but the vast majority of people say they are conservative..

Nita

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
For all their noise about a couple gubernatorial races, I notice the right is suspiciously quiet about Conservative party candidate Doug Hoffman's surprise defeat in NY- 23.

I mean, wasn't he the candidate backed by Palin, Pawlenty and all the conservative talk show hosts? What happened?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_345192.html
i think a lot has been said about that and for good reason: yes, Palin did campaign for him but he wasn't a republican and the republican dropping out at the last minute confused the issue. Plus not all republicans are strong or even mild Palin supporters. How do you feel about the 2 governors that lost even though Obama hit the trail for them, visiting NJ 5 times...??

Nita

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
pghquest;11479288]Your premace, (or in this instance Sharptons premace) that the Democrats are there for "gay marriage" is wrong.. flat out wrong.
sharpton didn't say that, the republican guy did.. no one on the discussion panel challenged him either.

Quote:
Having this right is a Republican ideaology where the Democratic one is that we MUST accept it even if we object to it.
maybe?? i know for instance many democrat voters who voted against it(same sex marriage) and didn't think anything of it.

Quote:
I dont HAVE to accept ANYTHING and dont tell me you know better what I HAVE to accept.
So you can possibly fine ONE, who was then "disowned".. Wow, have you looked at the list provided by "EvilRepublican"?
no i didn't see it. but were and are these people who were caught in the process or those of who were caught by fellow party members before things got to the press and or tried to cover it up?[/quote]

Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, Palin did campaign for him but he wasn't a republican and the republican dropping out at the last minute confused the issue. Pl...??

Nita
thats what people need to realise as some said its ideology over party. but overall the republican drop out and for what? didnt make sense at all cause the conservative guy was just the conservative guy lol. talk about traitors lol.

now i wonder what if the woman was a conservative republican how would that fare for the conservative-conservative guy who would get support?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
her main guy hoffman cant even win a seat held by the right for the last 150 years.

im telling you, palin's endorsement of him was the deathnail of his race. she is too divisive, and overwhelming americans are sour on her.
Too bad your facts are wrong. Democrats held the seat from 1979 - 1993. Palin's endorsement of him brought attention to him.

Doug did a great job, being the underdog, completely new to politics, and a member of a new party. Gave Owens a run for his money. I don't consider that a loss.

What IS the obsession/hatred of Sarah Palin?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,177,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Too bad your facts are wrong. Democrats held the seat from 1979 - 1993. Palin's endorsement of him brought attention to him.

Doug did a great job, being the underdog, completely new to politics, and a member of a new party. Gave Owens a run for his money. I don't consider that a loss.

What IS the obsession/hatred of Sarah Palin?
Too bad your facts are wrong. NY-23 was previously all over the state, it was in the Bronx at one point, it was in Manhattan at one point, etc.

But that geographical area in the north where the current NY-23 is has been held by a Republican for over a century irrespective of the number of the district.

Nice try

Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
I know on the Left and in the Media they think they have a narrative here on Palin.

Let's see - when Palin, who was basically the first national conservative figure to promote Hoffman over Scuzza, Hoffman was around 13%, Owens and Scuzza were neck and neck.

The day after she called on conservatives to rise up and support Hoffman, he raised over $160,000.

Three, four days later, Hoffman is propelled into the lead with Owens and came very close to beating him.

So..before Palin's call to action, he's a dismal third in the race, after Palin's call to action, he barely loses. Let's not mention the fact, he didn't live in the district, he is a neophyte and rather awkward campaigner.

Do I have that about right?

I think the Left is a little confused on the issue.

She helped this guy go from 13% to 46%. Pretty darn good, if you ask me.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
For all their noise about a couple gubernatorial races
Oh yeah, that one in NJ hurt, considering ALL the prestige, time and effort put in by obama - a complete repudiation of his policies. When he told the NJ electorate that Corzine was on board with implementing his agenda, he would be a partner with obama - that probably sealed his fate right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections