Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 17,185 times

Advertisements

So we have decided to take the plunge and move to Eugene/Springfield area!! Thanks for all the advice and feedback you gave on the area, it really helped with the decision making process!

Now that we are officially moving, I am starting to look at area hospitals for nursing jobs. Any medical professionals have any feedback? Anyone else have opinions or good/bad experiences? Any feedback would be helpful, locals usually know much more about their hospitals than what you can glean in a job interview. Right now I'm looking at the Peace-Health system, but I am open to information from any of the surrounding hospitals!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
The new PeaceHealth/Riverbend hospital is absolutely beautiful. My husband and I like to go there just to walk or relax sometimes. There are trails behind the hospital that are beautiful, lots of trees and follows along the river where people fish and play. It doesn't feel like a hospital at all really. Fortunately we've only ever had to use the hospital for things like checkups or my husbands sleep apnea appointments, so I cannot speak for the ER or other services. But if I were a nurse, I'd want to work there. I think it won a spot on the top 20 most beautiful hospitals in America a couple of times. (The 20 Most Beautiful Hospitals of in the U.S. (2013) are ... - Soliant Health )

PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center RiverBend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeaceH...r_at_RiverBend

I've never been to any of the other hospitals in the area, so I cannot speak for those. Though I have seen them from the outside, and they look kind of depressing.

Oregon Medical Group seems like a good place to work, too. The nurses and doctors and other staff we know who work with OMG seem happy with their positions. Multi Specialty Medical Group Eugene OR | Springfield OR

On our regular visits to the Lane Blood Center to donate we have spoken with the nurses there and they also seem very happy with the work they do. Lane Blood Center in Eugene Oregon | Donate Blood in Lane County

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Just my $.02, The other hospitals are McKenzie-Willamette in Springfield, and Sacred Heart in Eugene. I think they're a little run-down compared to RiverBend but still serviceable institutions. I've been with Oregon Medical Group as a patient for about 30 years and I wouldn't switch for any reason.

Also, good luck!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback! That's actually very encouraging because Riverbend appears to be the main place hiring! I looked up the pictures you linked and it really is a beautiful campus! I'll also look into Oregon Medical group as I hadn't seen them in my previous job searches. Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:04 PM

113 posts, read 358,121 times
Worked at Riverbend on a travel assignment. Critical care. Like everyone said, beautiful campus, good cafeteria food. Management is a little off, but hey, that happens everywhere. Staff were friendly. Their full time staff payscale is based on years exp, degree (ASN, BSN, etc), extra specialty certifications. I like how they pay you for your extra time and effort getting extra certs and education whereas other systems will not. Not a bad experience. I'd recommend it. I believe the whole hospital is going to Epic in the next year, right now some areas are a mix of paper and computer charting.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefromlv View Post
Worked at Riverbend on a travel assignment. Critical care. Like everyone said, beautiful campus, good cafeteria food. Management is a little off, but hey, that happens everywhere. Staff were friendly. Their full time staff payscale is based on years exp, degree (ASN, BSN, etc), extra specialty certifications. I like how they pay you for your extra time and effort getting extra certs and education whereas other systems will not. Not a bad experience. I'd recommend it. I believe the whole hospital is going to Epic in the next year, right now some areas are a mix of paper and computer charting.
Thank you so much!! I'm actually looking at a travel assignment with hopes to transition to full time! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The system I work at now used to pay for advanced education, specialty certs, etc but recently took it all away. I'm hoping to move to a place that values experience and advancement. If you don't mind my asking, how was the experience as a traveler there? I have never done a travel assignment before, this will be my first experience and it's a little nerve wracking

Old 12-03-2015, 06:48 PM

113 posts, read 358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilr8ch View Post
Thank you so much!! I'm actually looking at a travel assignment with hopes to transition to full time! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The system I work at now used to pay for advanced education, specialty certs, etc but recently took it all away. I'm hoping to move to a place that values experience and advancement. If you don't mind my asking, how was the experience as a traveler there? I have never done a travel assignment before, this will be my first experience and it's a little nerve wracking
I don't know if I'm the best judge, but I had no problem there. Most people were friendly. Some complained about the acuity level, how they scheduled you (hard time getting days off or the schedule you want, etc), but that wasn't really important to me. I'm used to large metropolitan hospitals where you are constantly wondering " Am I going to lose my license today." Never felt like my license was in jeopardy there. Always got my lunch breaks. I know they like to do 48 hr/week contracts at that facility but don't let them give you a decreased payrate if you will only do 36. I've been traveling for a couple of years now so if you have any other questions you can direct message me. Also, take a careful look at the wording in the travel contract or agency handbook, some do not allow you to take a perm position at the hospital you are assigned to until after you have been done with the assignment for a year (no compete clause).

Old 12-19-2015, 11:29 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Lots of MDs in Eugene are not accepting any new Medicare patients.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
That is true everywhere. Sign up for a medicare advantage program, no problem accessing primary care providers in their network (assuming that they have space in their practice). Providence's plan in Portland metro is top notch, I see that they offer several in Lane County. I have heard that MODA is having financial issues so I would pass on their offerings.

One advantage with the Providence plans is that you MIGHT be able to use their Portland health care providers in a pinch.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:23 PM

I have heard a great deal about the Providence system, most of which is positive. Where I'm at now there aren't a whole lot of options in healthcare systems so that will be a nice change. Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area