Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

I gave you a couple of resources to at least try out. I would also suggest contacting the Salvation Army in Eugene. She's probably also eligible for welfare. There do seem to be some places advertising in Eugene that they will accept Section 8. It's my understanding that Section 8 waiting lists are much shorter in smaller towns surrounding the Eugene/Springfield metro. Rental rates seem to have gone up a lot in Eugene lately too.

If you're willing to help, you need to start by making a few phone calls and doing some research. I think that there are resources out there, and honestly -- this forum isn't the best place to obtain the sort of information you're looking for. Case in point:

Quote:
Which country will support single, pregnant women with 2 children?
The United State does, actually. The OP's friend is probably eligible for TANF benefits. She might be able to get some emergency funds through them as well.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-18-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:08 PM

137 posts, read 255,705 times
Thanks. I have gotten great advice.

Believe me. I didn't mean anything against this country when I said we don't have a big safety net. I love it here. I think maybe Scandinavia or something doesn't let people go homeless. I don't know. Lol. Really didn't mean anything by it. Just an off the cuff remark.

I think the section eight thing is a good angle to try. I don't know how much I want four more people in my house though. Not for more than a little while. You know how it is.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Which country will support single, pregnant women with 2 children? You said you would be willing to help, but not financially. Financial help seems to be one of the main things she needs. Did you check out some of the suggestions that were made, or do you think someone else should do that? When you say she lives here, do you mean Hawaii?
Many countries will support a single pregnant woman with two children. Almost all first world countries do. In my country we believe that every human being has the right to a certain level of dignity and subsistence, which includes free helthcare, free/cheap education, housing, food, clothes, recreation, and that is usually provided in the form of cash payments because of the dignity cluse above. We even provide this to single childless men.

The US would not help a single woman with two kids if she's already been on welfare for five years in her life.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
There are a variety of charities and programs that could help here and there. I found this list of them in the Lane county area: Get Involved in Eugene, Oregon Starting out with one or two of those could probably result in referrals to better resources.

Here's a health care resource: Oregon MothersCare Program
DHS would also be a place to look: State of Oregon: Oregon Department of Human Services - Home

This is the U.S. however, and we are not particularly efficient at this sort of thing. It's not that we don't have a safety net, it's that we've got hundreds different safety nets, some private, some public, that all attack hundreds of distinct problems, people and situations. A well-organized society would have handful of streamlined social welfare programs coordinated at a national level. Of all the things the U.S. does, this exact situation is one of the worst. We've got a bunch of public and private programs that try and rehab people out of homelessness, etc... but they are already far gone at that point. What we are terrible at is stopping the downward slide before people hit rock bottom.

As others have said, if she's got 2 dependents, one on the way and no income or assets, off the top of my head she would qualify for section 8, TANF, SNAP, WIC and Medicaid (oregon health plan). Those are mostly temporary and they are hodgepodge programs, but they'd be something.

None of those are immediate solutions to her housing problem though. Why does she need to get to Eugene immediately? Does she have family or friends to stay with?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
She can turn her kids over to foster care, and move into a women's shelter until she has the baby. Then she can put the baby in foster care and work on finding a job that will support her and her kids. When she manages that she can get her kids back.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:48 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
She can turn her kids over to foster care, and move into a women's shelter until she has the baby. Then she can put the baby in foster care and work on finding a job that will support her and her kids. When she manages that she can get her kids back.
Yes, I'm sure the social worker assigned to her from DHS would suggest that route as an option.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 PM

137 posts, read 255,705 times
Look it's not that bad. She can stay with me over giving her kids to foster care. I just thought there might be a more immediate option where that could be avoided. It's a long somtory of course.

I think stopping the downward slide now is a good way to put it. But honestly I don't think she realizes how bad the situation is. I realize, but I can't "save" her if she doesn't acknowledge how f'ed she is.

It's one of those things where you care about somebody and you see their life going to pot and they do too sometimes, but she really has this positive attitude that she can do this somehow but her plan is really unrealistic.

That's why I say there is only so much I can do. Because in order to help her get to where she says she wants to be first I have to get her to know that she needs to take action right away. It's hard to explain without going into great detail. Thanks for all the help. I hope she is OK.

She was doing well and stable with a job before she got pregnant again and now she does t feel good and is tired all the time and the baby is due in two months.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You have to understand that Oregon is a poor state and if you go on any forum where people are discussing being homeless, they are all telling each other that the best places to be homeless are in Portland and Eugene Oregon. The poor and homeless and welfare recipients are flooding into Oregon for the pretty scenery, the lifestyle, the lax laws and lack of law enforcement, and all the benefits and free care given to the homeless. The taxpayers are at the end of their ability to pay for all the free care and feeding of so many people.

Since the federal government has decided that Section 8 vouchers can be used anywhere, people are getting vouchers in less crowded states and then bringing them into Oregon and trying to get into Section 8 housing. There isn't enough Section 8 housing available for Oregon residents and on top of that, hundreds, probably thousands are moving in their vouchers from out of the state and wanting their subsidized housing. Well, there isn't enough subsidized housing to go around.

The system is overwhelmed. Your little pregnant friend is only one of thousands moving to Oregon wanting free care. She doesn't stand out in any way; she's just one of the enormous masses. The taxpayers have compassion fatigue.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Look it's not that bad. She can stay with me over giving her kids to foster care. I just thought there might be a more immediate option where that could be avoided. It's a long somtory of course.

I think stopping the downward slide now is a good way to put it. But honestly I don't think she realizes how bad the situation is. I realize, but I can't "save" her if she doesn't acknowledge how f'ed she is.

It's one of those things where you care about somebody and you see their life going to pot and they do too sometimes, but she really has this positive attitude that she can do this somehow but her plan is really unrealistic.

That's why I say there is only so much I can do. Because in order to help her get to where she says she wants to be first I have to get her to know that she needs to take action right away. It's hard to explain without going into great detail. Thanks for all the help. I hope she is OK.

She was doing well and stable with a job before she got pregnant again and now she does t feel good and is tired all the time and the baby is due in two months.
Be aware that if you let her move in you become a landlord, and are responsible for all the landlord/tenant laws. You can't enter her area of the house without 24 hours notice, you can't force her to leave without eviction, and you can be held financially liable if she has to move because you are rude to her. Plan on having her and her children as roommates for months or even years, and being responsible for first, last and deposit on an apartment to get rid of her. Once she moves in, eating your food, living in your home, using your utilities, she will have no incentive to change.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:51 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You have to understand that Oregon is a poor state and if you go on any forum where people are discussing being homeless, they are all telling each other that the best places to be homeless are in Portland and Eugene Oregon. The poor and homeless and welfare recipients are flooding into Oregon for the pretty scenery, the lifestyle, the lax laws and lack of law enforcement, and all the benefits and free care given to the homeless. The taxpayers are at the end of their ability to pay for all the free care and feeding of so many people.

Since the federal government has decided that Section 8 vouchers can be used anywhere, people are getting vouchers in less crowded states and then bringing them into Oregon and trying to get into Section 8 housing. There isn't enough Section 8 housing available for Oregon residents and on top of that, hundreds, probably thousands are moving in their vouchers from out of the state and wanting their subsidized housing. Well, there isn't enough subsidized housing to go around.

The system is overwhelmed. Your little pregnant friend is only one of thousands moving to Oregon wanting free care. She doesn't stand out in any way; she's just one of the enormous masses. The taxpayers have compassion fatigue.
As harsh as reality can be, well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area