Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM

137 posts, read 255,804 times

Advertisements

It's not me by the way. My friend is in a bad situation. Pregnant and single, already two kids and needs to move back to Eugene quick! How can she get an apartment?

Does anyone know of any churches or charities that can get her in to something? It just has to be safe. Can't have the kiddos being in danger.

How do people get themselves out of bad situations like this? Does the kid or pregnancy put her at a greater priority?

What can I do to help? I'm willing to help, I'm not sure to what extent. I'm probably just doing the research and help like driving her around, and using my brain. I'm not sure about getting financially involved.

But she can't be homeless so something has to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I've never heard of a charity that rescues people in dire circumstances. If she has family, that's where she needs to go. So far as financial help, her situation sounds like a bottomless pit.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Call them --

https://www.ortl.org/

See if they put their money where their mouths are.

There's a link on the top of their site to the right that says "Find Help." It leads to some sort of helpline, so maybe they know of some resources.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:29 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Where is she now? It would be simpler to find help where she currently is.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
There's also Shelter Care.

Emergency Services

Old 04-17-2016, 09:11 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
....... Does the kid or pregnancy put her at a greater priority?........But she can't be homeless so something has to be done.
The pregnancy, 2 existing kids, and poverty might possibly get her a Section 8 housing voucher with a less-than-normal wait list time. Unfortunately, once the voucher is obtained, it is still difficult to find housing that will accept the voucher. Basically: single, pregnant, 2 kids, and no income is going to drop her to the bottom of the list as far as landlords are concerned. There is no landlord anywhere who is going to jump at the great opportunity to take over the care and feeding of her family for her.

You are wrong about one thing: she really can be homeless. She's got a really good head start on it right now. Something has to be done? You are assigning the project to someone else? You aren't going to do something yourself? It's your job to identify the problem and then "someone" is obligated to take over and do the "something that has to be done"?

There are a few churches that will come up with deposit money for their congregation members who are in need. If your friend belongs to an organized church, I suggest that she check with them to see if they have any program like that. However, giving deposit money or one month's rent to stave off eviction does not mean that they will sign on for full time support, paying the rent every month forever.

A government housing program or a bit of help from a church or charity is about the limit of it. Perhaps there is low income housing in Eugene. But if there is, there is most likely a waiting list to get into it.

If she happens to be moving with all her kids because she is a battered woman escaping from an abusive partner, she might try the battered woman's shelter and see if they have any suggestions. Their shelter is for emergencies and if your friend has moved away from her abuser, she is no longer in immediate danger. They won't take her in but they might have a list of places to call.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,276 times
Tell your friend she needs to go live with her family until she can get a better handle on how she's going to be able to support her existing kids. It will take her quite awhile to get to a position in life where she can support herself and most social services exist only as short term emergency help, they are not the long term plan she needs. Family is probably the only long-term viable plan she has, unless she's willing to put her kids into foster care until she gets on her feet.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:39 AM

137 posts, read 255,804 times
oh, thats bad. not a big safety net in this country.

i said above i would be willing to help. i will. but i can't do everything. sounds pretty grim.

im a member of an organized church, but i don't know what they would do for her, not being a member. the own 14 rentals but i think they are all taken. ill ask.

man, thats a bitter pill to swallow, i guess i just never see pregnant homeless people with little kids. are they really out there?

she lives here, she did briefly go away to try the family thing but its a no go so i am flying her back tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
oh, thats bad. not a big safety net in this country.

i said above i would be willing to help. i will. but i can't do everything. sounds pretty grim.

im a member of an organized church, but i don't know what they would do for her, not being a member. the own 14 rentals but i think they are all taken. ill ask.

man, thats a bitter pill to swallow, i guess i just never see pregnant homeless people with little kids. are they really out there?

she lives here, she did briefly go away to try the family thing but its a no go so i am flying her back tomorrow.
Which country will support single, pregnant women with 2 children? You said you would be willing to help, but not financially. Financial help seems to be one of the main things she needs. Did you check out some of the suggestions that were made, or do you think someone else should do that? When you say she lives here, do you mean Hawaii?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
.......i said above i would be willing to help......... i am flying her back tomorrow.
Then take her and her kids into your house with you. If her family won't take her and you are her only friend, no stranger is going to take her in. That leaves you.

You are flying her back to where? Hawaii or Oregon? Your header says you are located in Hawaii. If she is in Oregon and the father, or fathers, of her three kids are in Oregon, the state of Oregon will go after them for child support money. The state has some legal tricks to get that child support money and they can make it tough on deadbeat dads who try to avoid paying.

If you are not related to the homeless mother, and if she can get a Section 8 voucher, you can buy a house for her and take her Section 8 voucher for her rent. Section 8 won't pay relatives for housing, but if both you and she qualify, you can buy the house and Section 8 will pay you rent so you can make the mortgage payments. That way your friend will have place to live and you will have done something to help her.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 04-18-2016 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area