Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 PM

231 posts, read 778,552 times

Advertisements

From my experience, there are very few days where the sun does not come out. Sure, it rains sometimes, but then the sun comes out. Or sometimes, like this morning, the sun comes out on the morning, then the fog creeps in, then light rain comes later. My point being, I can not remember a single time in the last 1.5 years that it rained for several days straight...as is often claimed when people describe Eugene weather.

As for the comment about having to put the lights on at noon...I think it depends on where you live in the hills. There are some houses in south Eugene that are situated in a shady section of the hills, and I could imagine them having to turn on the lights at noon. I purposely avoided this when selecting my house, so I can say for sure that I have never had to turn on lights at noon. Not once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 34,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Great description gmattie!
Darkness, which is governed by latitude and cloudiness, is by far the worst part of winter here.
We're recently arrived from London UK, and Eugene gets more than an hour of extra daylight every day in comparison, so the reduction in darkness is a bonus.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene View Post
We're recently arrived from London UK, and Eugene gets more than an hour of extra daylight every day in comparison, so the reduction in darkness is a bonus.
Welcome, Englishman! Have you been to the coast, yet?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:40 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene View Post
Eugene sunrise and sunset for every single day of the entire year -

Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year

That was from, the US Naval Observatory (This is a Second Link, Same Title):

Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year

This web site is very helpful for travelers, camping, hiking, etc. However, the absolute time period of "dusk" varies by the season, and must also be accounted for, along with cloud conditions . . . etc . . .

Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM

234 posts, read 718,606 times
I do remember it raining for several days in a row (with short breaks) while living in Corvallis. That was depressing!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
I do remember it raining for several days in a row (with short breaks) while living in Corvallis. That was depressing!
...says the guy from Alaska.

It has been very foggy with temperatures around 30-40 the last week but with very little rain. Winters in Eugene are not that bad on any given day, but they drag on way too long with way too little to break the monotony.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
It's cold today! And drizzly and gray. I still have hummingbirds at our feeder, though. We're taking the Christmas decorations down, and I've got a chicken smothered in herbs and butter roasting in the oven... smells good.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm beginning to really like the gray days. I'm still not fond of the cold... but I never was. I'm from Texas and there we had a lot more ice to deal with than we've ever had here. Here for the most part it's just cold and wet, muddy and mossy. I love the glow, though.... when the sky is like this... the light is all diffused and the water droplets sparkle. I think it's beautiful... and I'd be out in it except I'm a wimp in the cold.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 50,475 times
Officially, Eugene has 209 cloudy days per year, but this doesn't mean that the sun doesn't poke thru from time to time...and it doesn't rain on nearly all those days. Winters are mild with nothing
to block the winter rainstorms coming off the Pacific, but starting in April through May there are a number of sunny days between rains. There's generally lots of sun in June (though they do have
occasional rainy and cloudy days), but July and August are nearly perfect with September and October having predominantly sunny, warm days. It's not Arizona, but it's not southern Alaska, either.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco Richfield, Jr. View Post
Winters are mild with nothing
to block the winter rainstorms coming off the Pacific
If Eugene's weather is intolerable, keep in mind that Ashland - 19" of rain per year, and much more sunshine, due to the Siskiyous blocking winter storms. Bend, Oregon, about 12" - another option.

This year, Oregon is dry and warm, due to the effects of El Nino:

http://www.mycentraloregon.com/news/local/news_detail.php?ID=783231 (broken link)

Oregon Climate Service, George Taylor, Oregon State University, Climate For All Oregon Cities:

http://www.ocs.orst.edu/page_links/climate_data_zones/climate_oregon.html (broken link)

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,092 times
We really don't need weathermen here There are just a few options.
Sunny (shorts and flip flops)
Sunny with a chance of rain (shorts and flip flops with a light hoodie)
Cloudy with a chance of rain (jeans and a hoodie)
Cloudy with a chance of sun (shorts and a hoodie)
Really Cold (30 degrees for us means bundle up)

I love our summers, enjoy our autumns, and suffer through our rainy cold winters for the fantastic display that spring brings.
With the spring cherry trees blossoms, daffodils, crocus', grape hyacinths, green grass between your toes and blue sky above the parks become positively crowded from all the Eugenians being cooped up all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: