Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 14,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Romance ... I prefer their culture and their personalities... They are warm.
I lived in France for 3 years. I liked the French people, but I would not describe them as warm...
The Italians I have met, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,471,418 times
Overall, I prefer the Germanic countries and languages, so Germanic it is for me.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM

106 posts, read 189,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
How the hell does every discussion about culture turn into one about hair colour? Hair fetish?

I found this in Wikipedia

Among the most common variants of this paraphilia are excitation by long hair and short hair, the excitement of blonde hair (blonde fetichism) and red hair (redhead fetichism) and the excitement of the different textures of hair (straight, curly, wavy, etc.). Tricophilia can relate to the excitement that is caused by plucking or pulling hair or body hair.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 AM

824 posts, read 3,618,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Over-all Europeans are similar, blondes, red-heads, brunettes, black-heads, brown, hazel, blue, green, blue-eyed could be found all over. Tall, small, average in height, pale, fair, medium, dark/swarthy complected. There are those what we could call typical.

Romance Europe: Always remember that the people of France, Spain, Portugal and Italy all have different looking people, they are not all the same in a sense. European genetical diversity is highest in these countries especially Iberia. As a whole Romance Europeans are more likely to have deep brown or black hair, with dark eyes as well of various shades of brown but less so dark brown and as a whole they have higher tanning ability than other Europeans with ('healthier' skin) medium skin complexion to swarthy in southern parts. Northern parts of these countries are as a rule lighter than southern parts(blonde hair would be more frequent), at times much lighter, a good case for it would be northern France(Normandie, Bretagne,etc..) is indeed much lighter than southern France. Spain would come second hen it comes to differences in pigmentation between the north and the south, Portugal would be the last. Romance Europeans are by no means any "less European" rather show a good adaptation to that region of Europe.

I'm only referring to typical types here:

France
hair color - light(brown)
eye color - <50% brown and >50% light(blue,green,gray)
height - average
skin tone - medium

Spain
hair color - dark(brown)/black
eye color - brown> light
height - average
skin tone - medium to swarthy

Portugal
eye color - brown>light
height - average
skin tone - medium/swarthy

Italy
eye color - brown>light (slightly less than Portugal according to the GWAS study in 2012)
height - average
skin tone - medium/swarthy (slightly more swarthy than Portugal according to GWAS study in 2012)

Now let us turn to what is traditionally known as Germanic Europe. There is also diversity and different looks among the people of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, the Netherlands and Germany. People here differ as well, as a person of partial Dutch ancestry I can attest to that. Genetical diversity is poorer than that of Romance Europe, but this doesn't stop people from being different from another. In Germany especially and the Netherlands the north is lighter than the south generally, in Sweden the north is darker-haired than central and southern parts. There is no "unique look" for Germanic, but they are over-all of a light pigmentation. Germanic Europeans have higher tendency to have blonde/red hair than Romance Europeans, with blonde is much more common than red, also light eyes and a fair complexion which has weaker tanning abilities than Romance again a parallel to adaptation to northern European climates. However some went to say that blonde pigmentation is a sign of "European racial purity", well we know better now that's not the truth at all.

Typical only:
Germany
hair color - (dark) blonde
eye color - blue/gray
height - tall
skin - fair/medium

Denmark
hair color - blonde
eye color - blue
height - tall
skin - fair to pale

Norway
hair color - blonde
eye color - blue
height - tall
skin - fair to pale

Sweden
hair color -(light) blonde
eye color - blue/gray
height - tall
skin - fair

Netherlands
hair color - dark(blonde)
eye color - blue/green
height - very tall
skin - fair/medium

Iceland
hair color -dark(blonde)
eye color -blue/green
height - tall
skin - pale(Celtic admixture)
Oh god , cant you be more obsessed, you bring even hair and eye color to total unrelated threads. Its the main difference between people from the US and Europe, how the former are completly obsessed about race (not all but many of them) and the later care more about culture.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,800,271 times
Tough call. I voted Germanic, because I think the general civic resources are better managed in most germanic nations. However, the Romance countries have amazing cultures, scenery, and artistic monuments.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 76,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Switzerland is an interesting mixture of the two. I think the culture of the Alps doesn't neatly fit into either category - for instance Bavaria is mostly Catholic, like the Romance nations, but of course is linguistically German.
Switzerland is very GERMANIC! anybody that doesn't think is insane or has no idea what they're talking about. I spent a great deal of my life between Basel Zurich Geneva and Lausanne and let me tell me that the country is run by Germanics. Romance Switzerland (suisse romande) is basically dictated to by Bern on what to do and how to run the country. Most Suisse Romands are just French speaking Germanics since most people you meet in Vaud have Swiss German last names and not French ones.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM

824 posts, read 3,618,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've always been more interested in the countries of the Romance speaking world: primarily Italy, France, Spain, because of their longer history, I prefer their culture (more vibrant, outdoorsy), attitude to life/love of life, cuisine etc. I find the Germanic world interesting as well - especially Britain, for cultural reasons, but as a place I find southern and western Europe more attractive and interesting.

For this poll:

Germanic - UK, Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia

Romance - Portugal, Spain, France, Italy

Uk isnt germanic at all (besides language), neither Northern france isn't typically latin europe culturally wise.

Germanic: Scandinavia, Netherlands,Germany,Flanders, Austria, Switzerland (german speaking areas).

Also between the Germanic world you have the more liberal and progressive germanic world (Scandinavia, Netherlands, Northern/Western germany, Flanders) and the more conservative germanic areas (austria, switzerland,southern germany)

Proper Romance culturally wise would be Portugal, Spain, Italy, Southern France.

Last edited by Traveler86; 10-27-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Oh god , cant you be more obsessed, you bring even hair and eye color to total unrelated threads. Its the main difference between people from the US and Europe, how the former are completly obsessed about race (not all but many of them) and the later care more about culture.

Yes, incredible.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Uk isnt germanic at all (besides language), neither Northern france isn't typically latin europe culturally wise.

Germanic: Scandinavia, Netherlands,Germany,Flanders, Austria, Switzerland (german speaking areas).

Also between the Germanic world you have the more liberal and progressive germanic world (Scandinavia, Netherlands, Northern/Western germany, Flanders) and the more conservative germanic areas (austria, switzerland,southern germany)

Proper Romance culturally wise would be Portugal, Spain, Italy, Southern France.

In fact, there's no Romance and Germanic cultures at all, but Greek-Roman-Christian culture. Germanics did not have any culture at all. If we read Roman geographers, they could only write in "runes", some lines and scratches on rocks, had no cities, very basic agriculture, no literature and all their culture was transmitted sin "sagas". Germanic adopted the Greek-Roman-Christian culture more faithfully and with more rigour that people that were living in the Roman Empire during centuries. Their religion is Christian, and during 1000 years all culture and all knowledge was transmitted by Monks writing in Latin. Universities taught in Latin, and their culture was Classical.

All the "Germanic" and "Latin" mumblo jumbo started during the reformation, when sectarians on both sides (Lutherans and the Vatican) divided Europe in a very stupid manner, in fact everything was about power because at that time, religion was a mere excuse. Later, Romantics also used the same mumble jumbo.

Last edited by Crocrodril; 10-28-2013 at 04:16 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 AM

847 posts, read 1,183,821 times
Non-Romanised Scandianavians had a great poetry and also they had sagas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe