Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,463,584 times

Advertisements

A country can't be consider as something just because of the language.

"Regarding the language...I ve never heard a so stupid thing of my life...
So Indian, Australian, American, NZ, etc are Germanic because they speak English...haha
Most African countries, French Canada are Romance because they speak French??? hahahaha"

(yes I wrote once language without an U in one of my text...and?...I know it is with an U but I write it without one in French so that is the reason why you can find "language" without an U among the 10 language I wrote)...But even in French I never know if I have to put an U or not...When you are split between two countries, you are confusing the spelling of some words. Clearly![/quote]

Oh sure it can! Language plays such an important role in culture, you most likely had no clue of it! I already knew you had no clue. The Anglo-Saxon culture obviously evolved and adapted to the new times we live in, that doesn't make it less Germanic. The same could be said about other Germanic countries in Scandinavia, they did not stay the same as the Viking times, of course their culture evolved too with time, that's why we don't see anymore Scandinavians going on "Viking missions" today, right? But their culture remains Germanic-based. Well if you didn't know let me tell you, even within Canada, there is a cultural difference between the French-speaking province of Quebec and with those which are predominantly English-speaking such as British Columbia provvince. Many Quebecois are fiercely proud to be seen as French-speakers and coming from a Romance culture, many don't even like to speak English even if they have a knowledge of it. You need to work on your English comprehension, no wonder you don't understand when we refer to Romance or Germanic culture. Countries such as Australia, New Zealand, most of Canada, the U.S. took a lot from Anglo-Saxon culture, because for a long time the domineering groups were people who were descendants of the British especially the English. Many parts of the Anglo-Saxon Law are found in the American Law too. Or perhaps you're just too confused and do not understand the term culture and what it means. Look it up!

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-28-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 PM

So Indian, Australian, American, NZ, etc are Germanic because they speak English...haha
Most African countries, French Canada are Romance because they speak French??? hahahaha"

(yes I wrote once language without an U in one of my text...and?...I know it is with an U but I write it without one in French so that is the reason why you can find "language" without an U among the 10 language I wrote)...But even in French I never know if I have to put an U or not...When you are split between two countries, you are confusing the spelling of some words. Clearly![/quote]

Before I even go forward to explain to you very simple things like what "Romance" and "Germanic" cultures stand for. You like to use the word "stupid", yet I doubt that if you even know the meaning of the term. I gave proper information of what is meant Romance(Latin-derived) and Germanic(Teutonic-derived) that will be very useful to you, next time you get on a thread concerning culture. Do you have a problem with Africans or are you a racist or just because they have a different skin colour than you? Put this in your head, due to colonization, Western European colonial powers(Portugal, Spain, France, Great Britain, Germany, Belgium, etc..) did bring part of their culture to other parts of the world such as in Africa, the Americas, Asia. Probably later Africans themselves blended what they learned from Europeans by force with their own respective traditional African culture(e.g. Bantu, Khoisan,etc...). Why do you think South America is sometimes called "Latin America" and North America especially Canada and the United States as "Anglo-America". There's a strong residue of Spanish culture in Latin America and that of Anglo-Saxon/British in North America. [/quote]

Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM

485 posts, read 2,250,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

(yes I wrote once language without an U in one of my text...and?...I know it is with an U but I write it without one in French so that is the reason why you can find "language" without an U among the 10 language I wrote)...But even in French I never know if I have to put an U or not...When you are split between two countries, you are confusing the spelling of some words. Clearly!
Before I even go forward to explain to you very simple things like what "Romance" and "Germanic" cultures stand for. You like to use the word "stupid", yet I doubt that if you even know the meaning of the term. I gave proper information of what is meant Romance(Latin-derived) and Germanic(Teutonic-derived) that will be very useful to you, next time you get on a thread concerning culture. Do you have a problem with Africans or are you a racist or just because they have a different skin colour than you? Put this in your head, due to colonization, Western European colonial powers(Portugal, Spain, France, Great Britain, Germany, Belgium, etc..) did bring part of their culture to other parts of the world such as in Africa, the Americas, Asia. Probably later Africans themselves blended what they learned from Europeans by force with their own respective traditional African culture(e.g. Bantu, Khoisan,etc...). Why do you think South America is sometimes called "Latin America" and North America especially Canada and the United States as "Anglo-America". There's a strong residue of Spanish culture in Latin America and that of Anglo-Saxon/British in North America. [/quote][/quote]

Mexico is North America, not South America.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Before I even go forward to explain to you very simple things like what "Romance" and "Germanic" cultures stand for. You like to use the word "stupid", yet I doubt that if you even know the meaning of the term. I gave proper information of what is meant Romance(Latin-derived) and Germanic(Teutonic-derived) that will be very useful to you, next time you get on a thread concerning culture. Do you have a problem with Africans or are you a racist or just because they have a different skin colour than you? Put this in your head, due to colonization, Western European colonial powers(Portugal, Spain, France, Great Britain, Germany, Belgium, etc..) did bring part of their culture to other parts of the world such as in Africa, the Americas, Asia. Probably later Africans themselves blended what they learned from Europeans by force with their own respective traditional African culture(e.g. Bantu, Khoisan,etc...). Why do you think South America is sometimes called "Latin America" and North America especially Canada and the United States as "Anglo-America". There's a strong residue of Spanish culture in Latin America and that of Anglo-Saxon/British in North America.
[/quote]

Mexico is North America, not South America.[/quote]

Don't play the fool, you know well I was referring to Canada and the U.S. I do know that Mexico is in North America. I'm referring to the dominating countries of North America which were sometimes referred to as "Anglo-America". Re-read my quotes carefully next time!! [/quote]

Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 AM

15 posts, read 23,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Native British culture was Celtic before the Anglo-Saxons came, the Celtic culture is more or less completely gone, there is for example no druids anylonger and people are Protestants. Even in parts of Britain where Celtic languages like Welsh and Scots Gealic is spoken, the Celtic culture is barely practised. The culture is still Germanic. Similarly, Finnish is not a Germanic language either, but the culture of Finland is still very much Germanic.

It is completely impossible that the UK would be some kind of "culture isolate" in today's Europe. If British culture was not Germanic it would have to be Celtic, which it's clearly not.
Not entirely true... I believe Ireland is still very Celtic if you asked me. Also, the highland Scotland preserved their Celtic culture to some degree. But I agree that the Celtic culture in general is almost completely gone, especially compared to other cultures of Europe. I also don't know know about Finland, but I'm not very familiar with the Finnic cultures. I know, however, that for example the culture of Poland, which is natively Slavic, was always permeated by neighboring Germanic cultures; some of the East Germanic tribes that never left during the migration period, the Scandinavian [viking] settlements in the North, the Ostsiedlung that affected not only what is now Northern and Western Poland, but also the former Eastern regions (e.g. the German settlements in Volynia in 18th-19th century) and various cities all across the country (Cracow or Warsaw for instance), so to me it appears that the Polish (or Czech) culture today is a hybrid of Slavic background and Germanic influences.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercher View Post
Not entirely true... I believe Ireland is still very Celtic if you asked me. Also, the highland Scotland preserved their Celtic culture to some degree. But I agree that the Celtic culture in general is almost completely gone, especially compared to other cultures of Europe. I also don't know know about Finland, but I'm not very familiar with the Finnic cultures. I know, however, that for example the culture of Poland, which is natively Slavic, was always permeated by neighboring Germanic cultures; some of the East Germanic tribes that never left during the migration period, the Scandinavian [viking] settlements in the North, the Ostsiedlung that affected not only what is now Northern and Western Poland, but also the former Eastern regions (e.g. the German settlements in Volynia in 18th-19th century) and various cities all across the country (Cracow or Warsaw for instance), so to me it appears that the Polish (or Czech) culture today is a hybrid of Slavic background and Germanic influences.

I believe a Celtic festival in Galway city(Ireland).
http://t.co/ZCLddvIjXf

Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM

990 posts, read 1,946,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercher View Post
Finnic culture in Finland is almost gone just like Celtic culture, they speak a Finnic language, but practise a mostly Swedish Germanic culture. This of course is the result of being ruled by the Scandinavian and Germanic country Sweden for over 700 years, I am amazed that they have been able to keep their language during all those years, only a small minority (around 5 or 6%) of Finland speaks Swedish as their native language. There is of course some distinct Finnic culture in Finland though like the Kalevala, and they have their own native mythology that has nothing to do with the Viking mythology and sagas. But everyday culture in Finland is mostly Germanic, specifically Swedish.

I saw on a Finnish tv program once where they compared Finland to Ireland. There they said that it's sad that the native Irish language is today only spoken by a minority, while the native Finnish language in Finland is spoken by the vast majority, and the invasive and foreign language Swedish only being spoken by a minority of 5%.

Not so sure about Estonian culture, except that I know it has been largely influenced by Germanic, Baltic and Slavic culture through the years. Estonian is by the way the only other widely spoken Finnic language in the world.

Finnic should not be confused with Uralic which covers not only the Finnic languages but also Hungarian, Sami and tons of indigenous languages in Russia that are nothing like the Finnic languages.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-29-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 04:01 PM

820 posts, read 955,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

Oh sure it can! Language plays such an important role in culture, you most likely had no clue of it! I already knew you had no clue. The Anglo-Saxon culture obviously evolved and adapted to the new times we live in, that doesn't make it less Germanic. The same could be said about other Germanic countries in Scandinavia, they did not stay the same as the Viking times, of course their culture evolved too with time, that's why we don't see anymore Scandinavians going on "Viking missions" today, right? But their culture remains Germanic-based. Well if you didn't know let me tell you, even within Canada, there is a cultural difference between the French-speaking province of Quebec and with those which are predominantly English-speaking such as British Columbia provvince. Many Quebecois are fiercely proud to be seen as French-speakers and coming from a Romance culture, many don't even like to speak English even if they have a knowledge of it. You need to work on your English comprehension, no wonder you don't understand when we refer to Romance or Germanic culture. Countries such as Australia, New Zealand, most of Canada, the U.S. took a lot from Anglo-Saxon culture, because for a long time the domineering groups were people who were descendants of the British especially the English. Many parts of the Anglo-Saxon Law are found in the American Law too. Or perhaps you're just too confused and do not understand the term culture and what it means. Look it up!
The simple fact you say 'Countries such as Australia, New Zealand, most of Canada, the U.S. took a lot from Anglo-Saxon culture' is a proof that there are not Germanic..
You will tell me Anglosax is Germanic, but why don't you say NZ, Australia, US, Canada are Germanic?
Just because you unconsciously make a difference between Anglosax culture and the Germanic one. And, it is what I am explaining.
To me, UK is just anglosaxon, and not Germanic..
We don"t say that the Germans are mesopotamian...however Germanic culture is a Mesopatamian culture. It is the same thing for Anglosaxon, UK and, Germanic culture.
Anglosaxon culture belongs to the Germanic culture but we call it anglsaxon because it ha snothing to do with the Germanic culture like the Germanic culture has nothing to do with the mesopotamian one.
Keep it in mind!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM

990 posts, read 1,946,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
The simple fact you say 'Countries such as Australia, New Zealand, most of Canada, the U.S. took a lot from Anglo-Saxon culture' is a proof that there are not Germanic..
You will tell me Anglosax is Germanic, but why don't you say NZ, Australia, US, Canada are Germanic?
Just because you unconsciously make a difference between Anglosax culture and the Germanic one. And, it is what I am explaining.
To me, UK is just anglosaxon, and not Germanic..
We don"t say that the Germans are mesopotamian...however Germanic culture is a Mesopatamian culture. It is the same thing for Anglosaxon, UK and, Germanic culture.
Anglosaxon culture belongs to the Germanic culture but we call it anglsaxon because it ha snothing to do with the Germanic culture like the Germanic culture has nothing to do with the mesopotamian one.
Keep it in mind!
Anglo-Saxon culture is a part of Germanic culture, just like Scandinavian culture is a part of Germanic culture, or would you argue that Scandinavian culture is not Germanic either just because we call it Scandinavian? I have never heard of anyone saying that they are directly of Germanic culture, there is different categories like Anglo-Saxon (British), Scandinavian, Bavarian, Austrian, Dutch/Flemish etc

Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 AM

824 posts, read 3,610,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Anglo-Saxon culture is a part of Germanic culture, just like Scandinavian culture is a part of Germanic culture, or would you argue that Scandinavian culture is not Germanic either just because we call it Scandinavian? I have never heard of anyone saying that they are directly of Germanic culture, there is different categories like Anglo-Saxon (British), Scandinavian, Bavarian, Austrian, Dutch/Flemish etc
Anglo-saxon? most british people are not descendants of anglo-saxons but of pre-germanic and pre-celtic populations. There is no thing such as anglo-saxon culture. Britain is a very complex case to define, I rather see them as a pheripherical european culture, the same goes for Ireland.

Are the Irish people anglo-saxon culturally-wise too?

British people are very different on every way from Germanic europeans. And I'm not saying germanic europeans dont have differences between eachother but certainly they share much more similarities to eachother than with British Islanders.

A complete different culture, brits do stag parties all over europe, chase women (just ask people in the baltics and eastern europe), behave very loud, in a way most people notice, they still have an imperialist mentality. Continental germanics/scandinavians tend to be more shy/rarely approach women, less loud, and definitely more of a close knit group.
Just take a look at expat communities and internet forums, you will see how much well along brits/americans/australians go, , and continental europeans, specially the swedes, dutch, danes ,etc tend to fir better to eachother.

By far the closest people in behavior to brits I've ever met were australians, then would be the Americans.

Many european people see the brits as the most distant group in europe, going to britain for them is a like going to the US but within europe, specially the Eastern europeans fantasize and see the UK as something similar to the US, they like the British flag, customes ,etc you dont see anything else like that but the US and the uk.

Many people romanticize the UK and Ireland for the same reason, they are seen as very far away'peripherical.

Some people have the same with Iceland, but only about its nature and landscapres, not about icelandic culture which they tend to perceive more akin to scandinavian/northern european one.

Last edited by Traveler86; 12-03-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe