Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
I already how posted what I preferred earlier on in the thread.

Do not blame me you brought it up when comparing how about Spaniards and Italians had better women and since then I confronted and corrected you.

I said humans have stereotypes around each other because that is what a lot of us do unfortunately and that is just human nature I am afraid. People off course are different from wherever they are from no one said otherwise.

So countries can be group with other countries especially if they are and act similar to each other and that is no crime.

Yes that what 15 years old when I was a kid and I have been continuing traveling since from I was 12 years old even last year I travel about three times in the year.

Do not try to twist the discussion into something else you know what I am taking about then mentioning "Iberian agenda" and that is to do with your behaviour and attitude towards others who have a different point of view from yours, this has also happened a lot for some time in other race boards, why would I make this up.

Traveling has made me more careful, knowledgeable and assertive actually.
Cloxias, no offense, but if we go on with "our experiences" what should it be said about the fact that we were warned not to go out on Friday night because of drunk Britons?
This happened all times I went in England (and I stayed there more than a month overall).
In England I found the worst drivers together with Greeks (worse Greeks if I must be honest) and craziest people ever (from those who yelled at us, to the crazy dog owner who almost incited his dog to attack us, to the weird butcher's wife who insulted us because we crossed the road [on the crossing stripes] and so on)?
On the contrary, I found England wonderful, I enjoyed some great families (whose one explained me a lot about rugby, a really great sport!), I overall ate very well (aside from puddings served as dessert, I preferred them as salty dish) and I found the places I went to simply marvellous (in particular Cambrige but also Oxford, Norwich and Winchester and also Bath).
What you might have seen in Spain isn't indicative of the whole Spanish population which counts 45 millions of people.
I spoke just to one American family in my life (excluding Internet chats) and they were WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) and they were the dumbest, stupidest, most arrogant and ignorant people I have ever seen in my life.
Should I judge the whole American populace by them?
Not certainly.
The same point about "looking like Levantines, Arabs etc" is simply stupid.
Egyptians were brown and yet they achieved unimaginable things when whitest Scandinavian men were nothing more than speaking-monkeys.
"Whiteness" doesn't describe the value of one populace, Arabs created astounding things, so did Indians and other brownish skin tone people.
I found Britons who could have passed for Neapolitans and others who passed for Icelanders, the same goes with Italians (especially considering that Italy is VERY diverse in its composing parts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
This make no sense. But good for you for knowing that. What ever that means.

The Stereotypes keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going. Like if you have been in those countries for many years to know how them personally.

Trying to tell you not to stereotype and generalize. But it cleary failed

What "Iberian agenda". Please tell me. That is the most stupidest thing i have ever heard. So what now anyone who you disagree with has an "Agenda". Cmon grow up.
How can you complain about stereotypes after your first post was so full of them!! Pot / kettle!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How can you complain about stereotypes after your first post was so full of them!! Pot / kettle!

Go ahead and tell me which stereotypes i said

Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
why do you keep mentioning skin tone eye color? Seems like you are obsessed with race. The thread is about which do you think is more interesting germanic or romance europe? In my opinion there is no comparison. Romance history has a longer and more
and more interesting history HANDS DOWN. They also have better looking women, especially Italians and Spanish women. Romance Europe The languages of French Italian and Spanish are not called the languages of love for no reason. they sound beautiful. south Europe has a more beautiful landscape , climate. the top three most visited countries in Europe are France, spain and Italy and for good reason.

Comparing the Roman Empire to the germanic tribe is just ridiculous. calling romans cowards, is ridiculous. You can keep thinking the german in those times were simple humble super humans all you want, the reality is they weren't. You can keep think English has very little latin influence. you can keep giving stereotypes about how germans are ordely and efficient while the Mediterranean people are lazy all you what. You are wrong. you can keep talking about how germannic people are freedom loving and anti tyrannical and anti fanatic religious while at the same time ignore the crimes of the British empire and the german nazis who claimed many lives, easily more than the the Roman Empire because they thought they were superior or pure. keep dreaming
Better-looking? That's an opinion and you're entitled to it. Roman Empire also commited crimes, for example the persecution of Christians. Latin countries are over-all dirtier than Germanic-speaking countries. Have you ever heard of Dutch cleanliness? Germanic people have discipline, courage, love for freedom and independance, these are qualities which I cherish the most. Most Germanic-speaking are liberal societies with a high standard of living, like in Norway and Luxembourg.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
why do you keep mentioning skin tone eye color? Seems like you are obsessed with race. The thread is about which do you think is more interesting germanic or romance europe? In my opinion there is no comparison. Romance history has a longer and more

and more interesting history HANDS DOWN. They also have better looking women, especially Italians and Spanish women. Romance Europe The languages of French Italian and Spanish are not called the languages of love for no reason. they sound beautiful. south Europe has a more beautiful landscape , climate. the top three most visited countries in Europe are France, spain and Italy and for good reason.

Comparing the Roman Empire to the germanic tribe is just ridiculous. calling romans cowards, is ridiculous. You can keep thinking the german in those times were simple humble super humans all you want, the reality is they weren't. You can keep think English has very little latin influence. you can keep giving stereotypes about how germans are ordely and efficient while the Mediterranean people are lazy all you what. You are wrong. you can keep talking about how germannic people are freedom loving and anti tyrannical and anti fanatic religious while at the same time ignore the crimes of the British empire and the german nazis who claimed many lives, easily more than the the Roman Empire because they thought they were superior or pure. keep dreaming
Gaius Cornelius Tacitus was probably the greatest Roman historian and also a senator. In his book Germania, shows how he admired the Germanic people's open hospitality, their simplicity and bravery in battle! Germanic had discipline, courage/bravey/ love for freedom, independance and equality, these are values which I put in high regard. Germanic countries also have a much higher standard of living and are a lot cleaner than most Romance countries today. Haven't ever heard of Dutch cleanliness before? Mediterranean countries have a warmer, thus more pleasant climate, but in terms of landscape, it really depends. Norway to me looks majestic, with the fjords and the mountains it's incredible. Roman Empire is just as guilty for committing, persecution of Christians in the first AD, where many were burn to a stake alive! The only difference are the times, whereas Nazi Germany had access to a much higher technology, if Romans had access to it, they would have done worse. Romans were also a bunch of glutons and were disgusting.

Better looking? I don't think so, it just matters on opinion really. Yes, I have seen some very gorgeous-looking Spanish/Italian women, but there also very good-looking women in Germanic populations.
e.g. Candace Swanepoel(white South African of Dutch origin), thus of Germanic origin is gorgeous.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bielawski.jpg
Kate Moss (England) is a very classical and gorgeous beauty.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--ddh4aBB5W...ate+moss+2.jpg
These are the only two example which I've posted, but there are plenty more out there.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:19 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Romans were also a bunch of glutons and were disgusting.
Kids on the Internet. You gotta love 'em.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM

58 posts, read 94,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Kids on the Internet. You gotta love 'em.
Indeed. Saxonwold always writes about how peaceful, humble and cultured those Germans were. Ironically, his posts more often than not are provocating and have a huge arrogant vibe in them, not to talk about how much he seems to disrepect Latin countries and Romans. Actually Germanics were always on the weak side, but from the 18th Century on with Industrial Revolution, Germanics took the lead and, as they never were leading in Europe, they made up for all that time and started getting an arrogant attitude to those who used to beat them in everything. They are still to these days, claiming Latin/Slavic Europe are poorer and more racist, when actually they are being the ones poor at human quality and humbleness, apart from being even more racist, just in a more hypocritical way.

If he still thinks Germanics are superior, just remind him he's writing and reading LATIN alphabet, because their Runic script, though I personally find it interesting and different in a good way, was not suitable and way too messy. That's because Runic disappeared while Cyrillic and Greek were suitable enough to survive the Latin script spread.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkai View Post
Indeed. Saxonwold always writes about how peaceful, humble and cultured those Germans were. Ironically, his posts more often than not are provocating and have a huge arrogant vibe in them, not to talk about how much he seems to disrepect Latin countries and Romans. Actually Germanics were always on the weak side, but from the 18th Century on with Industrial Revolution, Germanics took the lead and, as they never were leading in Europe, they made up for all that time and started getting an arrogant attitude to those who used to beat them in everything. They are still to these days, claiming Latin/Slavic Europe are poorer and more racist, when actually they are being the ones poor at human quality and humbleness, apart from being even more racist, just in a more hypocritical way.

If he still thinks Germanics are superior, just remind him he's writing and reading LATIN alphabet, because their Runic script, though I personally find it interesting and different in a good way, was not suitable and way too messy. That's because Runic disappeared while Cyrillic and Greek were suitable enough to survive the Latin script spread.

Wait a minute, if someone says that he prefers Germanic/Teutonic Europe, that means he's arrogant or more racist? I called that nonsense! Germanics were always on the weak side? Nonsense. They contributed greatly to fall of the tyrannical Roman Empire and actually many Romans came to admire Germanic people and they drafted many mercenaries of Germanic ancestry in their armies. Frankish aristocracy of Western Europe had plenty of Germanic kings, the greatest of them all came to be known as Charlemagne. Vikings were a mighty Germanic people and possess a much more advanced naval technology than Romans, they understood the seas way better than Romans. This in turn helped them reach farway lands such as Iceland, Greenland and parts of what came known to be called the New World. Just to let you know, since you seem to be unknowledgeable, the Runic writing system in most Germanic lands disappeared due to the influence of the church. For example, after England became christianized, the Anglo-Saxon Runic system Futhorc became less and less used until it dissappeared. Since the Church also controlled the education, Latin Aphabet was introduced, imposed upon the simple people and we know the Church in those days was based in Rome, thus even local Churches had to receive orders from Rome. Many "foreign" handwritings were discouraged. While in Eastern Europe, the Eastern/Oriental Roman empire Cyrillic, Greek handwriting were allowed to flourish, because they were not controlled the same way. Why do you think the Reformation came about? Who do you think the major start of the Reformation? a Germanic-speaking person. So all along Germanics were craving for freedom!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Wait a minute, if someone says that he prefers Germanic/Teutonic Europe, that means he's arrogant or more racist? I called that nonsense! Germanics were always on the weak side? Nonsense. They contributed greatly to fall of the tyrannical Roman Empire and actually many Romans came to admire Germanic people and they drafted many mercenaries of Germanic ancestry in their armies. Frankish aristocracy of Western Europe had plenty of Germanic kings, the greatest of them all came to be known as Charlemagne. Vikings were a mighty Germanic people and possess a much more advanced naval technology than Romans, they understood the seas way better than Romans. This in turn helped them reach farway lands such as Iceland, Greenland and parts of what came known to be called the New World. Just to let you know, since you seem to be unknowledgeable, the Runic writing system in most Germanic lands disappeared due to the influence of the church. For example, after England became christianized, the Anglo-Saxon Runic system Futhorc became less and less used until it dissappeared. Since the Church also controlled the education, Latin Aphabet was introduced, imposed upon the simple people and we know the Church in those days was based in Rome, thus even local Churches had to receive orders from Rome. Many "foreign" handwritings were discouraged. While in Eastern Europe, the Eastern/Oriental Roman empire Cyrillic, Greek handwriting were allowed to flourish, because they were not controlled the same way. Why do you think the Reformation came about? Who do you think the major start of the Reformation? a Germanic-speaking person. So all along Germanics were craving for freedom!
You weren't called "arrogant and racist" because you preferred Germanic Europe over Romance one (I do as well) but because you deliberately falsified history.
1) Germanic world was, excluding arts (Duerer etc), always less richer and important than Romance Europe until XVIII century.
The only exceptions are Britain (which is a mix between Romance and Germanic Europe) and Flanders which again see a mixture in languages.
2)Now you're correct, they contributed greatly, they weren't the only actor. Sassanid Persians were a mightiest enemy in the west, Mauri tribes in North Africa (with Berbers) and other Barbarian tribes in Balkans and Caledons in Scotland were great enemies.
Romans respected their enemies, unlike you, and they took the best of every people they subdued.
3) It's funny you mention that Germanic people served in the Roman Army because they did that voluntarily.
Germanic tribes (which are different nonetheless from actual Germans) invaded massively the Roman Empire for two main reasons:
a) To plunder, loot and steal.
b) To settle down in the Roman Empire which was richer, more advanced and far more civilized.
4) Vikings weren't the Barbarians often described, on the contrary, they were quite advanced in seafaring technology, yet their discovery remained unknown until XX century.
It was a Genoese captain, with Spanish ships and crews (all from Romance Europe) who discovered America again and made it know to the Old World.
It was Spaniards, not Vikings, who imported all the products you eat today.
It was Spaniards who circumnavigated the world first.
It was Portuguese and Venetians who traveled as far as to India and China both by land and sea.
It was Romance Europe who sustained the massive effort of contrasting Islamic expansionism, not Northern Europe.
5) Runic script is indeed interesting and surely no less valuable than Latin script but whereas Latin alphabet is nowadays used everywhere, Runic it's not.
Whether it is because of the Church, because of starving/disease/usefulness and so on, it doesn't really matter. Latin alphabet survived and it's the one you use.
6)The Reformation wasn't at all about "freedom" (and be aware that I HATE the Catholic Church), it was about paying taxes to the Church and it certainly wasn't freer than other countries. Germanic countries burned their witches as much as Romance Europe.
7) As I demanded before: what did Germanic tribes leave to the world? Huts? Runes? Then?
EVERYTHING old Barbarians did was to ape Romans: they adopted their laws, customs and alphabet. They even created the Holy ROMAN Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe