Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times

Advertisements

Denmark is one of Europe's most Germanic countries. In my experience, people are friendly and welcoming, and there is great sense of freedom there.

Danish folks and lovely girls too!
The People's Meeting Folkemødet on Bornholm begins in Denmark | Demotix.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Germanic values like simplicity and freedom are some of the things I like of their culture.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CjaeaAF5Rt.../DSCF2459b.JPG
Like many other countries.
There are no "distinct values": Germans had one of the most brutal tyranny ever seen in history and their colonial rule was pretty brutal, Britons (although they are a mix) where the Imperialist for excellence, Danes had their colonies as well and so did Netherlands.
So there's no "value for one people": Germanic peoples are different between themselves moreover.
Democracy was born in Greece, the earliest free city states in the Middle Age where in Northern Italy (compared the Holy Roman Empire which saw the Romans as perfection), the French revolution took place in France and so on.
I am growing tired of answering.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
There are no "distinct values": Germans had one of the most brutal tyranny ever seen in history and their colonial rule was pretty brutal, Britons (although they are a mix) where the Imperialist for excellence, Danes had their colonies as well and so did Netherlands.
So there's no "value for one people": Germanic peoples are different between themselves moreover.
Democracy was born in Greece, the earliest free city states in the Middle Age where in Northern Italy (compared the Holy Roman Empire which saw the Romans as perfection), the French revolution took place in France and so on.
of course my friend. this guy is too much in his head to talk about that. hehe keeps promoting the "distinctive values" of the germanic people. just look who is winning this poll.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 AM

199 posts, read 336,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Where do you classify : Grece,Croatia,Malta,Cyprus,Poland,Russia ?
Which is why I wondered why a Slavic option was not included in the poll. Mediterranean as well!

Quote:
Tough call, but probably Germanic, considering that these countries were probably historically more successful than the Romance European countries
In what ways? During the Age of Exploration and Scramble for Africa, it seems like Spain/Portugal/France colonized more territory than Germany/Netherlands and other Germanic countries. (Sure, Nazi Germany conquered a lot of territory in WWII but was unable to secure it and pacify the local people for at least a decade.)

Also, from the American point of view, there are pervasive stereotypes that Germans are blunt, rigid, and conforming whereas Latin/Romance peoples are more carefree, laid back, and down to earth.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Like many other countries? I don't think so, I travelled extensively throughout Western Europe. The Netherlands, Denmark, the U.K. seem much more liberal, while Southern Europe is more staunchy and conservative, like Italy. Though it's true the colonialism style of Germanic-speakers in Africa, Asia, the New World was much more rigid towards the indigenous people of those respective areas than with Latin-speakers. However the Germanic-run colonies as a whole fared better than Latin ones gave birth to very indutrialised nations like the US, Canada in the New World, Australia, New Zealand former Hong Kong in Asia and South Africa, Namibia, Botswana were all former British colonies usually have a better standard of living and better infrastructure than most African nations. The English/British came out as the most successful colonialists, their language which is a West Germanic one became the world's most widely used language. Germanics of Germany should not only be defined by the Nazi-regime. Before the Germanic tribes wrote their laws in Latin, the Anglo-Saxons( English-Saxons) had already written their laws in Old English. It was Anglo-Saxons missionaries(Wilfrid, Willibrord, Willehad, Lebuin, Luidger, Ewald, Suidbert) who helped christianize the Germanic tribes and nations in Frisia and Germany. The patron Saint of Germany is St Boniface who was an Englishman who was from Wessex. I have no problem, if more people chose Romance Europe, but I stay with the Germanics.

Last edited by saxonwold; 03-18-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I don't see how Britain can be considered close relations to Romans and other latins, most British people have lighter skin, eyes, hair and are taller and bigger than latins. British people most resemble germanics and Nordics because we are mostly anglo saxons and Celtic/Nordics, we are distinctly Northern European which is very different from latins. Our culture, physical features, genes, language etc is Northern European (germanics). I am happy to be Northern European and an proud of our anglo Saxon/Germanic civilisation. UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia etc are a collective group of people who have built societies based on logic, science, enlightenment, democracy, free economics and liberty, a model which has been adopted all over the world and which is now the world culture, there are very big differences between Southern European culture and Northern European culture
You should try coming to visit the UK sometime, you will be in for a shock, you will find a populace FAR more mixed than Germany, Poland, Norway or Sweden (and even in these places people arent all 'tall blondes' like people like to think). Most British people dont have any look in particular they dont look particularly Germanic or latin (whatever the hell that is supposed to be when it comes to 'race' anyway!) - I think you will find that its also the same in Holland or France - these countries are not made up mainly of either Nordic blond musclemen OR small skinny latins! In fact I can guarantee if you could take school classrooms of Dutch, English or French kids and mix them all up you wouldn't notice ANY difference between them, there would be blond, brunette, green eyed, brown eyed, white, black and brown skinned kids altogether. All with diverse looks from ALL three countries.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM

81 posts, read 108,881 times
Americans think that Europe is a Theme Park, really.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You should try coming to visit the UK sometime, you will be in for a shock, you will find a populace FAR more mixed than Germany, Poland, Norway or Sweden (and even in these places people arent all 'tall blondes' like people like to think). Most British people dont have any look in particular they dont look particularly Germanic or latin (whatever the hell that is supposed to be when it comes to 'race' anyway!) - I think you will find that its also the same in Holland or France - these countries are not made up mainly of either Nordic blond musclemen OR small skinny latins! In fact I can guarantee if you could take school classrooms of Dutch, English or French kids and mix them all up you wouldn't notice ANY difference between them, there would be blond, brunette, green eyed, brown eyed, white, black and brown skinned kids altogether. All with diverse looks from ALL three countries.

The fact that people have variations in people's individual looks in those countries, as in any other place in the world doesn't mean that there are not statistical variations within those populations. In Europe, whatever hiw you dislike this fact, but there are a gradiant in how people statstically look. You might dislike this fact but the tendence is the more you go north the more you get places with statistically more 'light features' and the more you go towards the south of the continent the more you have people with 'darker features'. That's just the way it is an as everyone knows it, except yourself who try to hide this reality for weard reasons.

The UK has statistically similar looks to the places of Europe situated at similar latitudes such as Netherlands Germany or Denmark but us lighter than France which is located further south.

This has by the way nothing to do with been 'latin/romance' or 'germanic' which are only linguistic/cultural concepts, but with geography...

Old 03-19-2014, 04:34 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The fact that people have variations in people's individual looks in those countries, as in any other place in the world doesn't mean that there are not statistical variations within those populations. In Europe, whatever hiw you dislike this fact, but there are a gradiant in how people statstically look. You might dislike this fact but the tendence is the more you go north the more you get places with statistically more 'light features' and the more you go towards the south of the continent the more you have people with 'darker features'. That's just the way it is an as everyone knows it, except yourself who try to hide this reality for weard reasons.

The UK has statistically similar looks to the places of Europe situated at similar latitudes such as Netherlands Germany or Denmark but us lighter than France which is located further south.

This has by the way nothing to do with been 'latin/romance' or 'germanic' which are only linguistic/cultural concepts, but with geography...
This is the kind of argument the Nazis used to use when declaring the Russians as some kind of 'inferior race', I'm sorry but most of us have gotten past this stereotypical nonsense, like it or not the English are NOT some kind of Saxon breed just as the French are NOT some kind of Latin breed!! I HATE to say it but the French, English, Dutch, Belgians or Austrians are all identical! I know you think it but you are NOT some kind of 'special' French breed.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This is the kind of argument the Nazis used to use when declaring the Russians as some kind of 'inferior race', I'm sorry but most of us have gotten past this stereotypical nonsense, like it or not the English are NOT some kind of Saxon breed just as the French are NOT some kind of Latin breed!! I HATE to say it but the French, English, Dutch, Belgians or Austrians are all identical! I know you think it but you are NOT some kind of 'special' French breed.
.....All he said is that people in different areas tend to look different. No one said anything about Nazis or inferior races except you. You don't have to be a racist to realize that Swedes tend to have lighter skin than, say, a Nigerian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe