Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Absolutely not, I am hal French, half British. I can tell you.
The culture in UK is ANGLOSAXON!
The culture in France is ....France...no comparable things outside France
Spain, Italy, Greece is Romance...
Germany, Nethe, etc is Germanic...

Regarding the langage...I ve never heard a so stupid thing of my life...
So Indian, Australian, American, NZ, etc are Germanic because they speak English...haha
Most African countries, French Canada are Romance because they speak French??? hahahaha.
And where did the Anglo-Saxons come from? Asia or what? They came from what today is southern Denmark and northern Germany. If you dont know that Greece is not Romance, then you can't know what is Germanic either. Also, you do not have to be like specifically Germany to be Germanic, that is just one of the Germanic countries and has nothing to do with the term "Germanic" itself (in other languages the country is called Deutschland, Tyskland, Alemania etc).

Other Germanic countries are Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Ireland and of course the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM

820 posts, read 953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
And where did the Anglo-Saxons come from? Asia or what? They came from what today is southern Denmark and northern Germany. If you dont know that Greece is not Romance, then you can't know what is Germanic either. Also, you do not have to be like specifically Germany to be Germanic, that is just one of the Germanic countries and has nothing to do with the term "Germanic" itself (in other languages the country is called Deutschland, Tyskland, Alemania etc).

Other Germanic countries are Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Ireland and of course the UK.

Look at the topic...
It is not about UK 1000 years ago...it is about UK today. Except if you just read very old british book (1000 years ago), UK has nothing to do with a Germanic country and France with a Roman, Latin one.

It is not because English (language) has germanic traits and some Germanic people invaded UK that Uk is a Germanic country....It is like to say CHina is Japanese or Mexican are American US

Regarding France, all pictures showed by "frenchuser" are just lies LOL even for Southern France.
"french user!", I have to show you France!

Regarding Greece, it was ironic.
Ofcourse, as you don t know Greece WAS ROMANCE and still has romance "way of life"
Greece has been under Romance control...
"The Greek peninsula became a Roman protectorate in 146 BC, and the Aegean islands were added to this territory in 133 BC. Athens and other Greek cities revolted in 88 BC, and the peninsula was crushed by the Roman general Sulla. The Roman civil wars devastated the land even further, until Augustus organized the peninsula as the province of Achaea in 27 BC.
Greece was a typical eastern province of the Roman Empire. The Romans sent colonists there and contributed new buildings to its cities, especially in the Agora of Athens, where the Agrippeia of Marcus Agrippa, the Library of Titus Flavius Pantaenus, and the Tower of the Winds, among others, were built. Romans tended to be philhellenic and Greeks were generally loyal to Rome.
Life in Greece continued under the Roman Empire much the same as it had previously, and Greek continued to be the lingua franca in the Eastern and most important part of the Empire. Roman culture was heavily influenced by classical Greek culture "

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-27-2013 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Look at the topic...
It is not about UK 1000 years ago...it is about UK today. Except if you just read very old british book (1000 years ago), UK has nothing to do with a Germanic country and France with a Roman, Latin one.
But you did say that the UK is ANGLO-SAXON (with capital letters) in response to my comment stating the facts that the UK is a Germanic country. And Anglo-Saxon implies Germanic.

The UK has not just something to do with one Germanic country, but all Germanic countries, we are all related.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:35 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:
Look at the topic...

It is not because English (language) has germanic traits and some Germanic people invaded UK that Uk is a Germanic country....It is like to say CHina is Japanese or Mexican are American US

Regarding France, all pictures showed by "frenchuser" are just lies LOL even for Southern France.
"french user!", I have to show you France!

Regarding Greece, it was ironic.
Ofcourse, as you don t know Greece WAS ROMANCE and still has romance "way of life"
Greece has been under Romance control...
"The Greek peninsula became a Roman protectorate in 146 BC, and the Aegean islands were added to this territory in 133 BC. Athens and other Greek cities revolted in 88 BC, and the peninsula was crushed by the Roman general Sulla. The Roman civil wars devastated the land even further, until Augustus organized the peninsula as the province of Achaea in 27 BC.
Greece was a typical eastern province of the Roman Empire. The Romans sent colonists there and contributed new buildings to its cities, especially in the Agora of Athens, where the Agrippeia of Marcus Agrippa, the Library of Titus Flavius Pantaenus, and the Tower of the Winds, among others, were built. Romans tended to be philhellenic and Greeks were generally loyal to Rome.
Life in Greece continued under the Roman Empire much the same as it had previously, and Greek continued to be the lingua franca in the Eastern and most important part of the Empire. Roman culture was heavily influenced by classical Greek culture "
Greece is not Romance. They are in a different category than Romance countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy and France. Greece is also the only one of these countries that is Greek Orthodox while the others are Roman Catholic. The Greek language is a separate branch of Indo-European languages, Romance language are another branch.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to edited post

Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Quote:
France has nothing to do with Italy, Spain, Germany and England...Except the fact you know nothing about France (that is not the problem), how can you put France as a Roman country? Yes it is true for a part of France and true for the langage. But France is so diverse. It can t be consider as a Roman or a Germanic country or something else...that s totally stupid...

Same for UK...nothing to do with Germanic culture...but especially for France..
France is a Romance country, because French language and culture are derived from Latin culture. French is derived from Latin. You didn't know that? So that's not totally stupid, rather you don't have a clue of what you're saying, that's all. You are just confusing things, all countries in Western Europe especially are diverse. The one who were based on a Romance language are those we call Romance countries such as France, Italy, Spain, etc... While which were based on a Germanic language such as Sweden, Denmark and England are what is known as Germanic countries. By you saying that the U.K. has nothing to do with Germanic countries tells me that you don't anything about Germanic culture. Get a book and read, perhaps down the line you might learn something. The Anglo-Saxon people before coming to the British Isles, were living in an area stretching from southern Sweden to northern Germany, they obviously spoke a Germanic language and had a Germanic culture, it was this culture which they brought to Britain some 1500 years ago! [/quote]

Last edited by saxonwold; 11-26-2013 at 11:27 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
France has nothing to do with Italy, Spain, Germany and England...Except the fact you know nothing about France (that is not the problem), how can you put France as a Roman country? Yes it is true for a part of France and true for the langage. But France is so diverse. It can t be consider as a Roman or a Germanic country or something else...that s totally stupid...

Same for UK...nothing to do with Germanic culture...but especially for France..
Are you sure you're half British. You have a spelling problem it's language not langage. Langage is in French. The real French translation for the English word "language" is "langue". I speak both languages perfectly, no problem. Yes there's a link between France, Italy, Spain, actually a Latin link, this is especially when you hear people speaking "le Provencal". You are confusing the term Romance and Roman. Romance countries are European countries where the main language was derived from Latin. Maybe you wer not taught that in school, but that's the way it is. This has nothing with how diverse a country is! If you do not understand, I could always write it for you in French. [/quote]

Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
I agree. My intention was to group countries that feel similar, such as portugal,Spain, Italy and Southern france despite all their differences, for instance the portuguese are nowhere as much vibrant people as the spanish are.

Countries like germany, holland, denmark feel pretty similar to eachother although there are still noticeable differences between eachother.

The UK and Ireland feel like a huge change from any continental european perspective, its like the English channel were of several thousands of kilometers width.
You always seem to put the British Isles away from the other European countries, because you might suffer from an inferiority complex. A part of the Saxons which were one of the most powerful tribes in Northern Europe did settle in Britain and also Britain built the largest empire in the world.The most widely spoken language is English the most successful Germanic language. [/quote]

Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Are you sure you're half British. You have a spelling problem it's language not langage. Langage is in French. The real French translation for the English word "language" is "langue". I speak both languages perfectly, no problem. Yes there's a link between France, Italy, Spain, actually a Latin link, this is especially when you hear people speaking "le Provencal". You are confusing the term Romance and Roman. Romance countries are European countries where the main language was derived from Latin. Maybe you wer not taught that in school, but that's the way it is. This has nothing with how diverse a country is! If you do not understand, I could always write it for you in French.
[/quote]

A country can't be consider as something just because of the language.

"Regarding the language...I ve never heard a so stupid thing of my life...
So Indian, Australian, American, NZ, etc are Germanic because they speak English...haha
Most African countries, French Canada are Romance because they speak French??? hahahaha"

(yes I wrote once language without an U in one of my text...and?...I know it is with an U but I write it without one in French so that is the reason why you can find "language" without an U among the 10 language I wrote)...But even in French I never know if I have to put an U or not...When you are split between two countries, you are confusing the spelling of some words. Clearly!

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-27-2013 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
France is a Romance country, because French language and culture are derived from Latin culture. French is derived from Latin. You didn't know that? So that's not totally stupid, rather you don't have a clue of what you're saying, that's all. You are just confusing things, all countries in Western Europe especially are diverse. The one who were based on a Romance language are those we call Romance countries such as France, Italy, Spain, etc... While which were based on a Germanic language such as Sweden, Denmark and England are what is known as Germanic countries. By you saying that the U.K. has nothing to do with Germanic countries tells me that you don't anything about Germanic culture. Get a book and read, perhaps down the line you might learn something. The Anglo-Saxon people before coming to the British Isles, were living in an area stretching from southern Sweden to northern Germany, they obviously spoke a Germanic language and had a Germanic culture, it was this culture which they brought to Britain some 1500 years ago!
[/quote]

culture 1500 years ago...
This says it all..it was 1500 years ago. Today, the culture is totally different..Come to England and don't look at your book written 1500 years ago.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
culture 1500 years ago...
This says it all..it was 1500 years ago. Today, the culture is totally different..Come to England and don't look at your book written 1500 years ago.
Native British culture was Celtic before the Anglo-Saxons came, the Celtic culture is more or less completely gone, there is for example no druids anylonger and people are Protestants. Even in parts of Britain where Celtic languages like Welsh and Scots Gealic is spoken, the Celtic culture is barely practised. The culture is still Germanic. Similarly, Finnish is not a Germanic language either, but the culture of Finland is still very much Germanic.

It is completely impossible that the UK would be some kind of "culture isolate" in today's Europe. If British culture was not Germanic it would have to be Celtic, which it's clearly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe