Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Any intelligent person would know your attention, to deny the indisputable Germanic character found in the British culture.To remind you, it was the Anglo-Saxon missionaries played a very important in bringing Christianity throughout the Frankish Empire in the 6th century to continental Germanic tribes of Germany (especially the stubborn Saxons). In the 7th century in Friesland Saint Benedict one of the most zealous missionaries to Frisia urged the English/Anglo-Saxon monks "to come back to the land of their forebears". He later quoted what the Frisians were saying of the English "We are of one blood and one bone with you!" One of the best adviser's to Charlemagne and probably the most highly educated man in his time was an Anglo-Saxon named Alcuin nicknamed as "Albinus" or 'Flaccus" played such a great influence in the Carolingian Renaissance . The Church used a strategy, used Germanic people(Anglo-Saxons) who were already Christians to spread their religion to other Germanic people. Plenty of Anglo-Saxon missionaries sent to Germania, such as Wilfrid, Willibrord, Willehad, Luidger, Lebuin, Ewald and more to places such as Hesse, Augsburg, Salzburg, Schleswig. Of course these Englishmen could relate more easily to their Germanic cousins. The U.K. and Ireland are not that far from other Northern European culturally, it's just the U.K. at one time built the world's largest empire therefore had to develop a more effective way to rule. Something other Germanic people only dreamed of.
No title

Interesting post.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 AM

106 posts, read 188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your talking rubbish this isn't true.

When I visited England for the first time 45 years ago, there was a big contrast between UK and the continent, but not anymore. Most of the distinguishing factors are gone. As to differences between those countries mentioned, abysmal differences. How could you compare Danes with Germans?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 AM

76 posts, read 128,187 times
Romance Europe would be more interesting.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM

10 posts, read 13,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocrodril View Post
There is no separate Germanic culture or traditions, other that children's tales and fables that in fact, are present in all European countries.

Of course there are separate Germanic cultural traditions. There may be similarities between the gods in norse mythology and the gods in Roman and Greek mythologies, but this does not mean that they were borrowed from them. They grew up independently.
The runes, and the method of fortune telling using them were something specific to norse/germanic cultures.

I find the concept of a "Latin" culture much more nebulous. What cultural traditions link Italy and Portugal for example apart from speaking a bastardised version of the Latin the Romans spoke?
Where are their gods, their cultural traditions which bring them together?

If anything, there is a much stronger sense of Germanic culture than Latin culture

Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,439 times
All countries are interesting. Though, in some Romanian cities the contrast between excellent architecture and the other not so good things is too large.

The best example is Naples. Great city, but with people who think that to smoke a cigarette in the underground is ok. And I think that a person, who smokes in the underground is a lout.

Paris is better than Naples, but in some districts it also quite frustrating.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I like Germanic Europe. Those countries have the most spectacular scenery (of the options offered by the OP). I notice the OP didn't mention Romania as part of "Romance" Europe. That was a mistake. If I had to choose just between Romania and "Germanic Europe", it would be a difficult choice.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,562,525 times
Each one has different, even contrasting qualities that makes them pretty equal.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,802,394 times
cant decide

romanesce europe: pro: good food, relaxed life-style, nice weather, amazing natural scenery, low crime rates, stunning girls
romanesce europe: con: lazy, doesnt get anything going, a bit chaotic, poorer than germanic europe, less structure, high corruption

Germanic europe: pro, good healthcare and universities, richer, well-structured, obediant people, honest people, low corruption
Germanic europe: con, high (immigration related) crime-rates. Weak climates. Generally not as beutiful scenery-wise.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
I find both Romance, Slavic and Baltic Europe alot more fun to spend time in, but I could never imagine living there.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,439 times
Quote:
Germanic europe: con, high (immigration related) crime-rates.
Interesting, I thought that in Germany and Austria the majority of people are locals. I did not see much immigrants there. Maybe Czechs and Poles in Austria and some Turks in Germany (but even Turks were not in such large amount as some say).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe