Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times

Advertisements

how could someone find england a bore? one of the most historic countries in the world. created the most powerful empire in world history that makes the romans look like little amateurs. built some of the most beautiful and powerful architecture in the world and is either the home or ancestral homeland of some of the greatest inventors and inventions in history. it is the birthplace of the language of the world. the two capitals of the WORLD were founded by english people; new york and london as well as the entertainment capitals of the world; los angeles, new york, and london. and they even conquered places as far away as india and 25% of the world population.

there is nowhere in the world or its history with more power and influence than the british/anglo/saxon world.

how could you not find it interesting?

Hall Hunter Partnership: Heathlands

London Pictures | City Photo

"Big Ben at night" by Dan Treasure | RedBubble

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 04-06-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
how could someone find england a bore? one of the most historic countries in the world. created the most powerful empire in world history that makes the romans look like little amateurs. built some of the most beautiful and powerful architecture in the world and is either the home or ancestral homeland of some of the greatest invenetors and inventions in history. it is the birthplace of the language of the world. the two capitals of the WORLD were founded by english people; new york and london. and they even conquered places as far away as india and conquered 25% of the world population.

there is nowhere in the world or its history with more power and influence than the english/anglo/saxon world.

how could you not find such a place interesting?
I don't think any one was really taking that comment from Vlajos seriously. He obviously has some axe to grind.

England has a wonderful and very rich culture, and has been influential globally in terms of music, film, sport, theatre, entertaiment (and nightlife), fashion, business, architecture, literature, education, the arts and numerous other areas.

It's a diverse country, and there are always lots of festivals, cultural and international sporting events occuring.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I agree, in terms of cultural influence France is minor, especially today. In my opinion about as important as Poland or Russia. And I guess it shows in the fact that no important country today is francophone. And the French know it, thus the protective patriotic vein in terms of language, movies, music...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I honestly wouldn't go down the whole investion road in terms of the British. A study by the Japanese Depsrtment of Trade concluded that the British had invented 54% of all the worlds major inventions, compared to America with 25% and Japan with 5%. Whilst in terms of Nobel Prizes, Cambridge University alone has been awarded more Nobel Prizes than have been awarded to the entire French nation.
Nobel Prizes encompass only the last century of scientific effort. And I would bet that 90% of "all the world's major inventions" have been in the last century, too. In fact, after the US/Soviet pissing contest, France was the first country in the world to put a satellite in space using their own rocket technology.

I'm not saying the French are the greatest in the world. I'm saying the French have no monopoly on haughty feelings of superiority, and have as much right to be proud of their culture as anybody else does.

You realize, don't you, that your argument that the British are so great is from an internal essay distributed through the British Inventors Society? Which I am reluctant to accept as balanced and fully objective. Basically, it was written by a cheerleader, and raises the perfectly legitimate question of Why are English people so superior and have the best culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Quebec is a French speaking province (state)...It's capital MONTREAL...is a fun city...lots of culture...everybody chain smokes...they drink...and the woman are direct...now in politics or the buisness world....These French endure and except institutional corruption...Their bridges are falling down...the infrastructure due to mafia contracts is coming apart...dope growing is common (whole streets smell like one big grow op...of pot).....so what's so great about these people?
Montreal is not the capital of the province of Quebec. And the Quebecois are of the French culture and the French culture is what this thread is about, not French citizenship or nationality. And what is so great about these people is that they is NOT fixated on repairing bridges and puritanical repression of women and imprisoning people on silly drugs laws,

Last edited by jtur88; 04-06-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
No, I seriously find England boring. Just my opinion. Ever wonder why half of French coasts are filled with Brits?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No, I seriously find England boring. Just my opinion. Ever wonder why half of French coasts are filled with Brits?
Weather, lots of Brits all along the Mediterranean coasts and here in Portugal as well.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lots of French people live in Britain and particuarly London. There are as many French living in Britain as there are Britons living in France.

Sleepless in South Kensington as London's French community agonises over vote - Telegraph

In fact London and indeed the UK is home to communities from across the world.

Your point being????

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

12 posts, read 16,731 times
The French have their place in the worlds drama, but no present nation state can match the depth, scope, and most important of all 'the aim' of America. We will go down with the greatest of them all, Egypt, Rome, etc..

Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You realize, don't you, that your argument that the British are so great is from an internal essay distributed through the British Inventors Society? Which I am reluctant to accept as balanced and fully objective. Basically, it was written by a cheerleader, and raises the perfectly legitimate question of Why are English people so superior and have the best culture.
No it wasn't it was a report widely publicised at the time by the Japanese Department of Trade.

http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/web/News/ReportsandPublications/Magazine/MagazineArchive/SPAArchive/SPADec05/TechStrategy.htm (broken link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/360039.stm

As for the French they would have had problems getting that satellite in to space if the British hadn't invented the Jet Engine (Frank Whittle).

There are some interesting British Inventions here - http://www.britsattheirbest.com/inge...st_century.htm

Incidently I recall a few years back when the US press were having a go at the British over their universal health service, stating that Senator Ted Kennedy who was dying of a brain tumour at the time wouldn't have had the same level of treatment in the UK. I recall this because I remember thinking to myself, the MRI Machine and CT Scanners in American Hospitals used to detect cancers were largely a British Invention and the cancer drug used to treat Senator Kennedy was a British Drug. Not that this stopped the American Press from going on and on.

http://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/priva...expertise.aspx

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-06-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
LoL

Is it happy hour yet?
apparently where he's at it is! LOL

I'm going to agree with the others. French culture overall has had a minor impact. There are a couple of areas I do believe they've had major influence. Their language is beautiful, and it's influence on English is more substantial than you think once you start digging. However, the French are far from superior. I think the OP's fascination or love affair with the French overrides any logic in regards to comparison. As I wouldn't consider the French to be superior in anything other than food, the beauty of their language and their ability to surrender quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.