Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 AM

58 posts, read 186,145 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of FC Barcelona and recently I watched a few interviews of a midfilder Xavi and hes from Terrasa, and he speaks different. Do people in Barcelona know how to speak spanish the way we know from soap operas? catalan accent is very different, fast and quick. But how different is it from Spanish? 70%? A whole lotta different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
Normally, the soap operas are from Latin America, and the way they speak and the accent it's completely different from the spanish of Spain (only in Canarias is similar).
In Catalunya many people has catalan as a first language, I think is aroun 30%-40% of the population, but everybody know how to speak spanish, most of the people is bilingual, the families in wich one of the parents speak catalan and the other spanish and in the family house they use both, are really normal.
Catalan it's very similar to spanish (also to italian and french also) and for a spanish speaker not related with the catalan, at the begining can be hard to understand everything, but if you play attention, it's easy.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 AM

I speak spanish and italian fluently, but Its kinda hard to understand. Especially because they speak very fast.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 AM

202 posts, read 568,121 times
Tanja

Yes, there are marked regional differences.

Thirty or forty every town had a different accent. Barcelona has a particular accent that includes many Spanish words and certain characteristics that varies from a social class to the other.

I'm not refering here to the "standardised" Catalan created 100 years ago and broadcasted by Catalan media, a language that sounds like screeching nails on a blackboard when spoken by Spanish immigrants. I'm referring to Catalan spoken by people that have been speaking Catalan for countless generations.

There are Catalan dialects that are barely mutually understandable such as Tortosí, Maiorcan, Valencian and the Catalan dialect spoken in Alguer, Sardinia, or French Catalan, influenced by French.

Everybody in Catalonia speaks Spanish, there are some clowns that refuse to speak Spanish to Spanish speakers, most are people with identity problems that want to overcome the fact that their last name is Fernandez. Tourists that visit this part of the world should not pay attention to those freaks.

Last edited by buahh; 04-13-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM

190 posts, read 706,849 times
i speak both; catalan and spanish. Catalan is not just spoken in Catalonia, in Valencia and Baleares is an official language too. Although in Spain there are several languages, everybody can speak spanish, and normally is more used than the minority languages; Catalonia could be an exception in this. People in Barcelona speak spanish like in all the center / north / east of the peninsula, pronunzing the "th" etc, what in spain we call "standar spanish". Catalan is a romance language as spanish, there are similar words in catalan and spanish, there are words that are the same in catalan and italian and different in spanish etc. Catalan and spanish share the latin roots in almost all the words, but the same happens with italian or portugues, the roots of words are the same but resulted in different ways. I put a text in Spanish and Catalan that you can compare:

Catalan:

L'avi Siset em parlava de bon matí al portal
mentre el sol esperàvem i els carros vèiem passar.
Siset, que no veus l'estaca on estem tots lligats?
Si no podem desfer-nos-en mai no podrem caminar!

Spanish:

El abuelo Siset me hablaba de buena mañana en el portal,
mientras el sol esperábamos y los carros veíamos pasar
Siset, que no ves las estaca en dónde estamos todos atados?
Si no podemos deshacernos de ella, nunca podremos caminar

Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Wow thank you all for answering. I would like to learn catalan.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post

Catalan:

L'avi Siset em parlava de bon matí al portal
mentre el sol esperàvem i els carros vèiem passar.
Siset, que no veus l'estaca on estem tots lligats?
Si no podem desfer-nos-en mai no podrem caminar!

Spanish:

El abuelo Siset me hablaba de buena mañana en el portal,
mientras el sol esperábamos y los carros veíamos pasar
Siset, que no ves las estaca en dónde estamos todos atados?
Si no podemos deshacernos de ella, nunca podremos caminar

I have actually never seen Catalan before, I couldn't even get the basic idea of the paragraph! It also seemed a little bit similar with Italian and it looks a little bit like Portuguese also.

I knew it was really different, but I thought it'd be more similar than that. It's really cool

Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
It seems like a combination of Spanish, Portuguese and the Sicilian dialect. Not something I want to learn. You can see it on the multi-lingual signage in Barcelona.

Yes, they speak "standard Spanish" in Barcelona. It is the national language. Once, while in Barcelona, I was taking pictures of the port from the viewpoint in Montjuic. I struck up a conservation with a couple who was sitting on a bench. I conversed with them in Spanish. They complimented me on my abilities in the language. I responded "Tome' algunos cursos en Espanol en mi universidad." The wife mused, and said "Espanol, Espanol, hmmm..." At that point, I understood where she was going.

Sorry, folks, it was NOT listed in my class schedule as Castilian and all Americans will call it Spanish. Just be thankful that we even gave a rat's a$$ to learn another language and can speak to you in a language you are versed in.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-13-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM

208 posts, read 547,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It seems like a combination of Spanish, Portuguese and the Sicilian dialect. Not something I want to learn. You can see it on the multi-lingual signage in Barcelona.

Yes, they speak "standard Spanish" in Barcelona. It is the national language. Once, while in Barcelona, I was taking pictures of the port from the viewpoint in Montjuic. I struck up a conservation with a couple who was sitting on a bench. I conversed with them in Spanish. They complimented me on my abilities in the language. I responded "Tome' algunos cursos en Espanol en mi universidad." The wife mused, and said "Espanol, Espanol, hmmm..." At that point, I understood where she was going.

Sorry, folks, it was NOT listed in my class schedule as Castilian and all Americans will call it Spanish. Just be thankful that we even gave a rat's a$$ to learn another language and can speak to you in a language you are versed in.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 AM

Is he speaking here Spanish or Catalan?

Entrevista integra a Xavi Hernandez "Con Iker Casillas hablo mucho" (RTVE.es) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe