Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM

158 posts, read 382,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fortunately, I got to know Romania before it joined the EU, so these C-D threads are the first I've heard that Romanians are considered to be thieves. How sad. People are really missing out by not visiting Romania.

You said it (bolded)! Romania is great for mountain hiking, skiing, visiting castles, visiting medieval painted churches, traditional folk festivals like nowhere else in Europe, and meeting great people for great conversations.
Believe me when I say that it is, indeed, very frustrating when you hear so many bad opinions from people who really have no clue what they are talking about.
The main problem for Romania now is that the romanian gypsies have spread all over Europe and they are really creating havoc; the ones in Romania do the same, it has nothing to do with being in a foreign country; they just don't want to listen to any kind of autorithy. They really are impossible to live with.

Of course I have some already formed ideas about other countries, too; like how horrible I find the fact that every few months I hear news about another shooting happening in an american school, or how, even on this board, it amazes me the lack of basic knoledge about Europe some americans have; but that will never stop me from visiting their country. A tourist is just someone who gets the best from a part of the world and Eastern Europe really is different - a little bit stuck in the past, but all the more interesting because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Let's discuss the standards of living in Belarus.
That's not easy. Most stats are useless, because the country is heavily socialized, and god knows how much of economy is not accounted for.

Some people here claimed that smartphone use indicates the richness of America... Let's see:

Mobile phones per capita:

US - 1.04
Belarus - 1.15
Russia - 1.55

Percent of smartphones in both US and Belarus is about 50%.

By this metric potato folks are doing just fine.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
[/b]

I guess you don't have Romanians, Serbians, Moldavians and Albano-Kosovars in rural Canada. Want some?
My grandparents immigrated to rural Canada (Saskatchewan) from Romania, so there must be some.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
For me and this is just a rural canadian perspective it reduces to 4 issues(excluding russia).

1) East europe is relatively poor, and gets overlooked versus northern europe/japan/USA etc.

2) The demographics are not on it's side, a population that isn't growing, and that fact that it's a bunch of small countries versus one big one.

3) Back to demographics, when east european immigrate, they generally assimilate rather quickly there just another group of white people.

4) Its western culture means that there is nothing exotic or strange that can easily be picked up on without understanding the language.
You might want to look at Romania.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM

I have mentioned a few places in Eastern Europe on the forums. In fact, I've mentioned being interested in traveling to a few places in Eastern Europe.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
Believe me when I say that it is, indeed, very frustrating when you hear so many bad opinions from people who really have no clue what they are talking about.
The main problem for Romania now is that the romanian gypsies have spread all over Europe and they are really creating havoc; the ones in Romania do the same, it has nothing to do with being in a foreign country; they just don't want to listen to any kind of autorithy. They really are impossible to live with.

Of course I have some already formed ideas about other countries, too; like how horrible I find the fact that every few months I hear news about another shooting happening in an american school, or how, even on this board, it amazes me the lack of basic knoledge about Europe some americans have; but that will never stop me from visiting their country. A tourist is just someone who gets the best from a part of the world and Eastern Europe really is different - a little bit stuck in the past, but all the more interesting because of this.
This is how I see it. The media can shape how people think about other nations. I will admit, it has made me question alot of things. For instance, one place I have wanted to travel to is Russia. I have heard some interesting things through reading books. Alot has sparked my interest. This is why at age 13, I learned the Russian alphabet. I wanted to know what those signs were in Russian. I wanted to see place like the Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Basil's Cathedral, Murmansk, Volgograd, many of the Siberian cities like Irkutsk, Vladivostok, and Novosibirsk. Alot of the good and interesting things I heard came from watching travel documentaries, such as Great Railway Journeys(the episode I watched had Natalia Makarova in it), Globe Trekker, Full Circle with Michael Palin, Pole to Pole with Michael Palin, and a documentary about the Trans-Siberian Railroad. These documentaries made me want to go there.

However, when I got older, I started hearing things in the news about Neo-Nazis attacking Blacks, Asians, and people from the Caucasus. I also heard it was escalating and that the police haven't done much about it. I also heard that there were people getting killed from these attacks. This scared me alot, as I am Black.

So, it left me undecided. I don't have the money to travel. However, I still want to travel to Russia, and see it for myself.

As for the situation with Romania and gypsies, I can tell the difference between Romanians and gypsies. Romania has also struck me as an interesting place, as far as what I've seen on travel documentaries about it. Large forests, Sighisoara(home of Dracula), Constanta(coastal city), Bucuresti(Little Paris of Eastern Europe), I've tried Romanian food(quite good), the music, the Danube delta, Moldoveanu(highest point in Romania), the Carpathian Mountains, and I haven't even been to Romania yet. This is some of what I know from my interactions with Romanians, and reading about Romania.

I want to see Eastern Europe for myself, and see it as more than a tourist.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Let's talk Romania, just for the hell of it:
- not enough information
- no direct flights
- not on the Euro
- Romance language, but nobody knows it ... and people don't know what their English proficiency is
- corruption has, up to recently, been part and parcel of the way they run
- lack of tourist infrastructure, unlike France and Italy

If I have to raise all these questions about just one country, why would I be interested in going to Romania and adjacent countries?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Since today seems to be Romania Day on this thread, I'll add a link. Check it out, Mariner: it's a Bavarian-style castle that the royals lived in until they got booted out. Actually, King Mihai finally managed to get it returned to him (last I checked, he's still alive), and he sometimes uses the smaller house. The main castle is a museum. It's in Sinaia, in the general area of Brasov and Sighisoara. Sinaia's a beautiful little alpine town that's a big draw in winter ski season, but is nice to visit in the summer, too.

And for the OP, we just had two dedicated threads for the Baltic States. Here on C-D, E Europe is discussed fairly often. If most of the rest of North America doesn't talk about it, it's their loss.

Peles Castle Sinaia Romania

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There have been quite a few threads on Eastern Europe or Eastern European nations.
Yeah, but if I've got 2 or 3 weeks earmarked for Europe and I schlep over to Eastern Europe to be broad-minded for 4 or 5 days and don't like it, I can't get those 4 or 5 days back.

That's how I felt about 3 days I erroneously spent in Munich and Bavaria. I also spent between 1 and 2 weeks in Greece in 2002, and liked it enough, but don't feel at all compelled to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe