Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 06:27 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could someone explain why Russian forces have been taking control of the nuclear power plants in Ukraine?

Thanks.
They want to denazify those nuclear power plants. LOL.

Seriously I thought it is common practice for the invaders to take away the defenders' sources of power, food, and water. Without those essentials, Ukraine won't be able to fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 06:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My first guess is to secure/to protect them from the subversive activities of the Ukrainian nutters.
Or to put out the fires they created by bombing them? Seriously, who sets nuclear power plants on fire (other than Russia?)

Old 03-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
My first guess is to secure/to protect them from the subversive activities of the Ukrainian nutters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
They want to denazify those nuclear power plants. LOL.

Seriously I thought it is common practice for the invaders to take away the defenders' sources of power, food, and water. Without those essentials, Ukraine won't be able to fight.
The Ukraine peoples have to DEFEND THEIR OWN HOME COUNTRY. Ukraine is quite nice and redeeming when Independent. And has to remain STRONG.

The nutters are only in the Russian army. Nobody in Ukraine is anything bad to be honest. I and everyone else is hoping the best in Ukraine. And the Ukrainians get to keep the dignity and wellness. In the fresh air. The ones guilty in Russia are going to get the worst. Even if having to wait until they die to get final justice. Russia is still going to suffer on this side of the universe. Even if up to 30% to 80% to 90% of the entire population isn't Putin, Kremlin, a tiny bit some or a lot* of the governing system, or the army type of evil rejects circle.

No lol's. Everyone is sad crying if Ukraine ever felt apart that hard. Even absolute foreigners. There is absolutely no excuse to commit one of the most horrible monster war crimes of the 21st Century 2000's.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:09 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
"History matters" should not be interpreted to mean anything in the history of Ukraine as a nation justifies the Russian invasion. Rather that history molds how individuals and peoples respond. Putin underestimated the impact of history (and statehood) on today's Ukrainians to where they will fight, possibly even in a long-lasting insurgency. Simultaneously, he was so immersed in his personal historical construct that he misjudged numerous other factors.

As for the prior violation of "key civilizational concepts," history may well be cyclical not linear. Surely you don't infer that's a justification for later failures.

The Wilson Center analyzed the issue from 2012 to the present (well 2019).

Frankly your response to this surprises me some given our prior interactions on a different thread (albeit still Ukraine). "Factual reality" is a counter or a weapon to the chaos peoples create. It's unfortunate that increasingly people turn to videos like the Stone documentary for their realities, for that medium makes it so easy to distort. Who could not be instinctually horrified by the invasion - for me, in part due to Iraq. Still I DO take the time to sort thru the various assertions. Out of principal.

I thought you somewhat the same. Periodically I've read this thread. Then went back and skimmed the last several months. From that quick read, it did not strike me that anyone here was expecting a full invasion of Ukraine. So what does it say when Russian-heritage posters so quickly embrace then defend it?. Even as the chaos expands beyond their initial characterizations.

"Euro" who is not Russian but another Eastern European shared many of your views earlier in the thread. Still he recoiled at outright invasion. The decision of one man, Putin. Is this what nationalism is? Blind defense? IDK the longterm posters well enough to capture other ethnic Russian posters who may have fallen silent.

Would it be rude of me to ask what happened to DKM (ethnic Ukrainian) who appears to have disappeared several months ago?

So now as I've promised to get back to it..
Let me start with DKM and we will go from there.

By the sound of it, DKM had ties to Ukrainians from the "Right Sector" even though they were somewhere from the Eastern Ukraine.

I think he disappeared from this thread right about time when everything that I was warning about and was pointing at for the last seven years proved to be true. ( He of course was trying to disprove me as much as he could.) So he might have disappeared all together, or simply changed his nick and now is posting elsewhere on this forum.

With that being said, practically all your assessment of Putin as politician ( how angry he is about the loss of Ukraine, how he is solving his geopolitical problems under the pretense of "helping Donbass" and so on )- I basically agree with it.

For seven years I had nothing but contempt for him ( you can see it on this thread,) for betraying Donbass, and I predicted that this is going to be costly in the long run.

For those who are screaming here that Putin is making "big mistake" now, and that "Russia is going to be punished financially", I have to say that that's what he did first time around - he listened to his financial advisers and betrayed Donbass for money, (even though he gave them hope first.)

Which is a no-no thing in Russian culture - you don't betray people loyal to you for money, particularly when they are ready to sacrifice their lives. Because that's what the fighters there said from the get-go, that it was not "us the nationalists backed by Americans target, they target Russia in the long run."

And yes, after his promise and betrayal Donbass ( and the rest of the South-Eastern Ukraine, but Donbass in particular) remained the festering wound.

So by NOW, when he reassessed the situation, estimated the abilities of Ukrainian gov. to come with the nuclear weapon and so on, he was not going to make the same mistake again and to listen to his financial advisers. Now most likely he is listening to someone like Sergey Shoigy, who is in charge of the Russian military.

Of course this later war came as a total surprise for me, since I thought that it was going to be limited to Donbass.

But when I see the bloodiest battles still going on there, they probably figured out there in Moscow that they couldn't protect that area without removing the current Kiev's government all together.

Particularly that if things were to progress further with the development of the nuclear weapons, the Crimea would be threatened for real again. Plus ( from what I've heard today,) they discovered now in Eastern Ukraine the medical labs sponsored by US, that were working on production of the biological weapon - the pathogens of Anthrax and some other stuff - don't remember all the details but I can look them up.)
So we are where we are today sorry to say.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Mennonites are a peace church, for anyone who doesn't know that, and the Mennonite Central Committee began in Indiana when Mennonites there found out how the Mennonites in Ukraine were starving after the Revolution.

That began the world-wide MCC effort to help refugees. For those who might wish to donate, here is a link to the Ukraine wing of the MCC. https://mcccanada.ca/stories/mcc-app...sponse-ukraine

It is a peace church, I repeat. Even erasure can feel comfortable donating.

*Erasure is well-aware who Mennonites are.*

In fact I have good friends here, whose ancestors happened to be those very Germans resettled in US from Ukraine. They are church-going people ( they even tug me along from time to time around Christmas, ) and they have been involved in the effort to help impoverished Ukrainians for quite some time.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
"Canada" comes from "Kanata," an aboriginal word meaning "village." So what is your point about "borderlands?" Clearly, it's telling you there is a border.

And that's how it stayed for some time, until these "border people" asked Moscow for protection back in the 1600ies.
In fact you might not know it, but they literally BLACKMAILED Russian tzar to do it, since he was not willing to.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Or to put out the fires they created by bombing them? Seriously, who sets nuclear power plants on fire (other than Russia?)

This was not intentional, so I assume they took care of it by now.

What I was talking about, was prevention of threat of intentional damage.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,356 times
Quote:
I think the answer is obvious - they were the Russians that didn't want to be forcibly "Ukranianicized" by the Nationalists.

They didn't want to be murdered while resisting this process, they didn't want to speak the backward dialect instead of their native Russian language, they didn't want to become part of the backward culture, and they didn't want to become part of the American/NATO-backed territory.

When I am arguing the whole case of Ukraine, I am not looking necessarily at it from Putin's point of view. ( At least not until recently.)
I put myself in the shoes of the population of the South Eastern Ukraine, and I'd be LIVID if forced to go through this process of "Ukrainianization" pushed by the Nationalists.

So I really-really felt for them because of everything I saw happening over there.

Those years could only "feel quite peaceful" to people deprived of the information.

In reality, those years in Ukraine were anything but "peaceful."
The only place that remained peaceful from 2014, was Crimea after the Russian takeover.

You're honest to God bigot. Your hatred is contemptible for those unlike you. Go back to Russia.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
*Erasure is well-aware who Mennonites are.*

In fact I have good friends here, whose ancestors happened to be those very Germans resettled in US from Ukraine. They are church-going people ( they even tug me along from time to time around Christmas, ) and they have been involved in the effort to help impoverished Ukrainians for quite some time.
I'm glad to hear it.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You're honest to God bigot. Your hatred is contemptible for those unlike you. Go back to Russia.

I don't like Nazi and I don't make a secret out of it.

If you like them - move to Ukraine, although I suspect you might be late for the party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe