Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I know there are some places like NY where it is possible to walk and use public transportation but usually it is rare. And we found out that places which have 'good public transportation' and 'walkable amemities' according to US standards are still very poor for European standards. We lived in Austin and that is not a walkable town, you need a car there for everything. But really, that is true for most of the US.

I would never move to Canada either. The snow and cold most of the year would just kill me.
Vancouver isn't snowy and cold. Rainy, yes.

I couldn't possibly say if lack of amenities/walkability is true for most of the US. But I know how you feel. The only city in Europe I've lived in is St. Petersburg, and it's designed so that all neighborhoods have all the basic amenities within walking distance. Very impressive. You can find cities in the US that are like that (nearly everywhere I've lived, mostly on the West Coast), but the newer developments aren't like that.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 AM

150 posts, read 295,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
>lives in Prague
>is an expert on everywhere in Europe, as if it as homogenous unit

Did you miss the part where I said for 10 years I've traveled and vacationed extensively across the continent? I travel to Germany, England or France almost every month on business.

Also, being that I live in Prague (which is the dead center of Europe and a very popular destination for European expats), many of my close friends for many years are British, Scottish, German, Dutch, French, Polish ect and they all live in Prague because the things I describe are typically worse in their home country. Yea I am pretty good at gauging their opinions as well in order to convey for you the wider perspective.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
Did you miss the part where I said for 10 years I've traveled and vacationed extensively across the continent? I travel to Germany, England or France almost every month on business.

Also, being that I live in Prague (which is the dead center of Europe and a very popular destination for European expats), many of my close friends for many years are British, Scottish, German, Dutch, French, Polish ect and they all live in Prague because the things I describe are typically worse in their home country. Yea I am pretty good at gauging their opinions as well in order to convey for you the wider perspective.
Or you are just friends with a bunch of frustrated hypocrites

Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And everyone doesn't do that in America!

Dream on they are flipping legalising weed there! And its nothing like that here at all...
pull out this week's Economist, compare statistics and you will find that you are economically better off in the US.

If you were only talking about behaviors then I think you far underestimate the extent of corruption, drug use and prostitution in Czech Republic. The country is at or very near #1 in per capita cannabis use by country and alcoholism is on a scale incomparable to the US.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Or you are just friends with a bunch of frustrated hypocrites
unemployment in Czech: 8.6%

Italy: 12.9%
Spain: 25.8%
France: 10.9%
Euro Area: 12%

or maybe they are just trying to make a living?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
pull out this week's Economist, compare statistics and you will find that you are economically better off in the US.

If you were only talking about behaviors then I think you far underestimate the extent of corruption, drug use and prostitution in Czech Republic. The country is at or very near #1 in per capita cannabis use by country and alcoholism is on a scale incomparable to the US.
I don't care about the bladdy bla republic.

You are generalising about something you really know nothing about.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
unemployment in Czech: 8.6%

Italy: 12.9%
Spain: 25.8%
France: 10.9%
Euro Area: 12%

or maybe they are just trying to make a living?
Unemployment in UK is like 7 percent and we are going to hit the pre recession peak by summer.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 AM

and unemployment in the US is 6.6%

Look, I'm not trying to bash Europe. Like I said I have a ton of love for this continent. I'm just trying to give this ignorant thread some perspective. For starters, generalizing about Europe is no different then generalizing about the US. so half the people in this thread would never move to the US? Does that include San Diego? Austin, TX? Portland, OR? Honolulu? Boston? Because it's pretty stupid to lump all these cities together like its all the same place.

When I visit back in the US about twice a year I am always pleased by the higher standard and quality of living I witness in places I typically travel like Scottsdale, AZ, Austin, TX or Chicago. and don't just compare things like the superior buying power and economies inherent to US cities, also look at things like pollution and crime. Yet here we are in this thread with the typical USA-bashers acting like you would just NEVER live in the US.. yet I'm the one that can't talk about Europe like I haven't been to Berlin or Paris almost 10 times? oh ok. and how many of you that would NEVER live in the US have been to Maui?

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Links to competitor sites not allowed

Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 AM

No. It has risen to 6.7 percent and its population is higher so that figure is bad.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 AM

I'm going by data from the March 8th Economist. Regardless, I disagree with the notion that it is a worse figure considering a higher population. It is much more difficult to manage unemployment in a country of 317M or 40x the size a country with the same unemployment % like Germany with a population of 8M.

If you want to look at the economies more relative I suggest per capita GDP - USA has $54,609 per capita GDP (8th) versus $40,757 per capita GDP in Germany (18th), for example. Norway, Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden all fair better than the US but the rest of Europe (and the large majority of the EU population) fairs much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe