Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 04:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is a joke, of course. Russians never eat cats or dogs.
What about roof rabbit? Jackalopes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Fish is disgusting?

That's news to me.
Yes. Unless it's tuna in a can. Preferably Albacore.

Didn't somebody eat herring cheeks? Whatever that is.

Deer lips was another strange one the Russian aristocrats used to eat.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:34 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
What about roof rabbit? Jackalopes?
I and Google translator don't quite understand what "roof rabbits" and "Jackalopes" mean ... but I answered your question above.

Quote:
In Russia, they always ate hares,rabbits, crayfish, and different fish.
What I ate personally: bear, rabbit, hare, marmot, badger, elk, roe deer, deer, grouse, duck, goose, bream, crayfish, roach, various carps, pike, trout, salmon, grayling,herring, Baikal omul... That's what I remember.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried cod?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I and Google translator don't quite understand what "roof rabbits" and "Jackalopes" mean ... but I answered your question above.

What I ate personally: bear, rabbit, hare, marmot, badger, elk, roe deer, deer, grouse, duck, goose, bream, crayfish, roach, various carps, pike, trout, salmon, grayling,herring, Baikal omul... That's what I remember.
Roof rabbit is a euphemism for cat meat. The term arose out of Britain/London during WWII when people would try sell cat meat as rabbit.

Jackalope is a combination of two animal names, jack-rabbit (American desert hare) and antelope. The Jackalope is a mythical creature, a hare with horns. Not sure why Scrat brought it up?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Fresh horse meat is not eaten in Russia, this is true, but horse stew was still in the Soviet times. It just wasn't common.

Never ever seen anything like it, never ever heard of it.

What I've heard though, that back in Soviet times they were shipped for consumption purpose to Italy.

Don't know whether it was true or not.
Quote:
And about the article, it is written some nonsense. In Russia, they always ate hares,rabbits, crayfish, and different fish. Remember the movie " Ivan Vasilyevich...", there were dishes at the tsar's feast..."почки заÑчьи верченые..головы щучьи Ñ Ñ‡ÐµÑноком..."
Of that I am sure.
But horses historically were of great importance in agriculture ( and that's what makes the difference with the nomadic cultures of Central Asia.)
In peasants households horses were treated as indispensable "helpers," and thus never eaten. ( Not to mention the cavalry, where having a reliable horse was a matter of life and death sometimes.)
So no, TRADITIONALLY horses were never a source of food in Russia ( unless the emergency mode of course.)
However from what I saw on youtube lately - since they are bred by "private companies" now, and they are kept in poor conditions ( plus there is clear lack of people on the ground working with them,) they start reminding more of a cattle, particularly when we talk about Vladimir draught horses.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I love tuna in a can. ( Sometimes, when I go to a restaurant with friends, a restaurant of not my choice ) I feel like I'd be better off dragging my tuna sandwich with me ( instead of eating some "onion soup.")
When I am free to choose where to go locally, I head straight to my favorite Chinese buffet, that serves a lot of shrimp and fish)))

Quote:
Didn't somebody eat herring cheeks? Whatever that is.

I used to dislike salted herring in Russia.
Now I miss it kinda, along with those red beets..

Quote:
Deer lips was another strange one the Russian aristocrats used to eat.

You are aware of some weird stuff apparently, that I have no clue about Scrat....

Old 01-27-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Roof rabbit is a euphemism for cat meat. The term arose out of Britain/London during WWII when people would try sell cat meat as rabbit.

Jackalope is a combination of two animal names, jack-rabbit (American desert hare) and antelope. The Jackalope is a mythical creature, a hare with horns. Not sure why Scrat brought it up?
Levity my dear Greg's, levity. The roof rabbit reference I got from my dad a long time ago. He called cats roof rabbits and told me people ate them in tomales down south during the great depression. I asked if he did and he said he probably had when he was a kid, just not in tomales.

Jackalopes was another one he told me that I actually believed. One summer when I was about 8 I ran around for months with my dog through mountain fields and river bottoms trying to catch them. The dog would run them down but everytime he caught one he would immediately eat just the head. By the time I caught up there would just be a mauled, headless carcass. I never found any rabbit antlers. One day in August I came home and mom asked where I had been and I said me and the dog were trying to find a Jackalope but couldn't. She laughed so hard.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Never ever seen anything like it, never ever heard of it.

What I've heard though, that back in Soviet times they were shipped for consumption purpose to Italy.

Don't know whether it was true or not.
I'm telling you that for sure. I used to eat it from old stock.

Quote:
Of that I am sure.
But horses historically were of great importance in agriculture ( and that's what makes the difference with the nomadic cultures of Central Asia.)
In peasants households horses were treated as indispensable "helpers," and thus never eaten. ( Not to mention the cavalry, where having a reliable horse was a matter of life and death sometimes.)
So no, TRADITIONALLY horses were never a source of food in Russia ( unless the emergency mode of course.)
However from what I saw on youtube lately - since they are bred by "private companies" now, and they are kept in poor conditions ( plus there is clear lack of people on the ground working with them,) they start reminding more of a cattle, particularly when we talk about Vladimir draught horses.
Not exactly. Yes, of course, horse meat was not food for every day, as in the nomadic Asian peoples. But in case of extreme necessity, it is of course eaten when there is already, absolutely nothing. And during the war, this often happened, for example, when the troops were surrounded..

Quote:

I used to dislike salted herring in Russia.
What kind of treacherous fish is herring?! Once it is cleaned, cut, put on a plate (caviar in the center), decorate with onions (green, rings of crispy not bitter and rings of purple), lightly sprinkle with unrefined oil, and next to put hot potatoes in uniforms (young, 80 rub per kilo), as the Devil himself begins to whisper in your left ear: without vodka, all this makes no sense, you waste time in vain...

https://ru.depositphotos.com/3279311...s-cutting.html

Old 01-27-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:

What kind of treacherous fish is herring?! Once it is cleaned, cut, put on a plate (caviar in the center), decorate with onions (green, rings of crispy not bitter and rings of purple), lightly sprinkle with unrefined oil, and next to put hot potatoes in uniforms (young, 80 rub per kilo), as the Devil himself begins to whisper in your left ear: without vodka, all this makes no sense, you waste time in vain...

https://ru.depositphotos.com/3279311...s-cutting.html

But it doesn't work with Kinzmarauli or Akchasheni or any other red vine - that's the problem
Yes, what you are showing here is what the RUSSIAN part of my family clearly preferred. As much as they liked snow and winter...

But me - I was always suffering through it, didn't care for vodka, didn't care for salted herring, and overall once I made it to the sea shore and mountains, I finally figured out that I took after THAT part of a family, and genes are a very real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe