Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times

Advertisements

Another strange: epidemic threshold for 12 millionth city is 120,000 people with a 1% barrier and 600,000 people for a 5% barrier. 5,000 residents is 0.04% for Wuhan. However, quarantine has already been entered.

Photo of a hospital under construction from Wuhan:

https://i.ibb.co/F4RjN0P/photo-2020-01-30-13-18-37.jpg
It looks more like zombie cages.

ps: Russia completely closes the border with China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 02:34 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Arguments against this:
- it looks like a standard RNA virus, which came from animals (bats?). Chinese eat a lot of everything and it looks believable.

Arguments for biological weapons:
- Wuhan Institute of Virology is located in Wuhan (laboratory with the highest level of security);
- highest quarantine measures: using an army with military weapons (as I saw in the videos);
- there is little data on the progress of the disease, but so far the mortality rate looks very high:
patients: 7736 (+1739 for last day)
deceased: 170 (+38)
recovered: 124 (+21)
- emergency evacuation of US citizens (other countries also evacuate citizens) from the city;
- Russia closed the border with China by foot and road in five regions of the Far Eastern Federal District;
- emergency construction of medical centers in Wuhan. What for? For the epidemic, temporary tents could be deployed.
When looking at death rate you have to consider incubation period which is about a week or two, so these people died got infected at the earliest a week ago, so you need to compare deaths to the number of infected from a week ago, and on the 23rd there was only 830 confirmed cases. Currently 171 deaths reported giving a death rate of 20%!! But we also have to consider that by the time time they were diagnosed the probably were sick for a few days anyway, so on the 26th there were 2,744 cases, giving a death rate of 6%.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:

Photo of a hospital under construction from Wuhan:

It looks more like zombie cages.

ps: Russia completely closes the border with China.
Those are job site offices. *sigh*

Old 01-30-2020, 05:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
They can also be used for isolating someone.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I know, you're a city kid. I told you about my childhood in Montana already. My mom was surprised I survived it.

I think I understand you opinion of the Chinese and what they will eat. I've heard the saying "Chinese will eat anything with a spine to the heavens" and to one degree or another considering conditions there in the past I won't point a finger at them for it, even today. It's about survival. When it comes to fruit bats in soup just as a stunt to impress your friends or whatever that's not right.

No Scrat, it's not about ALL THAT exactly; it's not exactly about the "survival."
If people need to eat giant insects ( because they are poor and insects can be a source of protein too,) I wouldn't hold it against them - I am not particularly judgemental in this respect.

After all, this beef tongue dish mentioned by Zimogor, ( that came to Russians from the ever decadent French cuisine, ) can be detested by Americans, but boiled, chilled and thinly sliced, served with horseradish - yes, I don't see anything repulsive in not wasting any part of animal, already destined for a slaughter. You might as well make the best out of it.
So no, it's not about that.

Number one, as I've already mentioned, if I come from the culture that sets pretty rigid definitions of "what's for food, what's for companionship and what should be left alone all together," ( unless we are talking about the "emergency mode,") obviously I can't have much of mutual understanding with people from a culture that uses dogs for food on a regular basis, (instead of being in "emergency mode.")
More than that; people from such cultures don't seem to have ( forgive me for such mundane terminology as "Christian,") but that's what they seem to lack - such simple thing as understanding of "mercy," when it comes to animals.

Certain images I saw on-line - the way they skin alive the critters for their fur, the way they celebrate their "Yulin dog meat festival," and some other images that make me cringe, make me reject this culture all together, as basically barbaric.

And it doesn't matter to me what "great infrastructure" they build in their cities, or what "scientific research" they excel in, or what "great economy they created," - those repulsive images, the basic philosophy of their society makes me reject it all together; not the fact that they "eat snakes."
After all, snake is an animal too, ( which is a source of protein,) and as any animal it can be treated in humane way and slaughtered humanly, before being consumed.
But that's not a case in Chinese culture ( not when you watch what was going on in those markets, the kind that was FINALLY shut down in Wuhan.)
As I've said - Russian TV showed the grainy footage from there, and... well, this description is pretty close;

"It’s a sickly, almost sweet and nauseating smell of death. Once inside, the fetid stench — made worse by blistering temperatures and zero refrigeration — is overwhelming, and it is places like this where the deadly coronavirus originated.
In stall after stall, a mix of live and dead animals, which run the gamut from the known (pig, ox, duck, chicken) to the rare or unknown due to the condition of the carcass — stare back at you. In the wet areas of the market — usually reserved for fish and sea creatures and where the ground is slick with water and often blood — the stink is worse. The animals that have not yet been dispatched by the butcher’s knife make desperate bids to escape by climbing on top of each other and flopping or jumping out of their containers (to no avail). At least in the wet areas, the animals don’t make a sound. The screams from mammals and fowl are unbearable and heartbreaking.
These unregulated and usually filthy markets are found all over Asia and Africa."

And, as I've said, it's not the "filthy" part that bugs me so much.

P.S. By the way that "bat soup" glamorized in social media, was not consumed by someone "out of desperation."

That girl in the pics looked like a well-to-do blogger, that was earning bonus points.
But the images were ( yet again) nothing but disturbing if you ask me.

Oh, and bats are known to carry a lot of viruses.
Just saying.

Last edited by erasure; 01-30-2020 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-30-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Those are job site offices. *sigh*
This is a hospital module. Build online:
m.yangshipin.cn/static/2020/c0126.html?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0

https://i.ibb.co/HDSpGzd/image.jpg

Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
When looking at death rate you have to consider incubation period which is about a week or two, so these people died got infected at the earliest a week ago, so you need to compare deaths to the number of infected from a week ago, and on the 23rd there was only 830 confirmed cases. Currently 171 deaths reported giving a death rate of 20%!! But we also have to consider that by the time time they were diagnosed the probably were sick for a few days anyway, so on the 26th there were 2,744 cases, giving a death rate of 6%.

I think it’s correct to compare number of deaths to number of recovered + number of deaths. But the correct percentage will be only after accumulation of statistics.

Now:
9835 - sick
213 -died
171 -recovered

213 / (213 +171) = 213 / 384= 55,4%

But 384 is clearly small. Using this percentage is incorrect.

Most likely the final percentage will not be too high.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 01-31-2020 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-31-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:

What the heck is this Maxim?
If these cages are that "super-duper hospital," no wonder they promised to build it in a week...

Old 01-31-2020, 04:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Sanctions may have forced Russia to restructure its economy for the better

link

Old 01-31-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Sanctions may have forced Russia to restructure its economy for the better

link

....AND that new Prime-minister that Putin appointed lately ( Mishustin?) looks and sounds MUCH-MUCH more intelligent and competent than that stupid clown before him - Medvedev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe