Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times

Advertisements

I found an wonderful piece of text. It is Cormac Mccarthy, "No Country For Old Men".

I wont talk about the war neither. I was supposed to be a war hero and I lost a whole squad of men. Got decorated for it. They died and I got a medal. I dont even need to know what you think about that. There aint a day I dont remember it. Some boys I know come back they went on to school up at Austin on the G. I. Bill, they had hard things to say about their people. Some of em did. Called em a bunch of rednecks and all such as that. Didnt like their politics. Two generations in this country is a long time. You’re talkin about the early settlers. I used to tell em that havin your wife and children killed and scalped and gutted like fish has a tendency to make some people irritable but they didnt seem to know what I was talkin about. I think the sixties in this country sobered some of em up. I hope it did. I read in the papers here a while back some teachers come across a survey that was sent out back in the thirties to a number of schools around the country. Had this questionnaire about what was the problems with teachin in the schools. And they come across these forms, they’d been filled out and sent in from around the country answer in these questions. And the biggest problems they could name was things like talkin in class and runnin in the hallways. Chewin gum. Copyin homework. Things of that nature. So they got one of them forms that was blank and printed up a bunch of em and sent em back out to the same schools. Forty years later. Well, here come the answers back. Rape, arson, murder. Drugs. Suicide. So I think about that. Because a lot of the time ever when I say anything about how the world is goin to hell in a handbasket people will just sort of smile and tell me I’m gettin old. That it’s one of the symptoms. But my feelin about that is that anybody that cant tell the difference between rapin and murderin people and chewin gum has got a whole lot bigger of a problem than what I’ve got. Forty years is not a long time neither. Maybe the next forty of it will bring some of em out from under the ether. If it aint too late.

Here a year or two back me and Loretta went to a conference in Corpus Christi and I got set next to this woman, she was the wife of somebody or other. And she kept talkin about the right wing this and the right wing that. I aint even sure what she meant by it. The people I know are mostly just common people. Common as dirt, as the sayin goes. I told her that and she looked at me funny. She thought I was sayin somethin bad about em, but of course that’s a high compliment in my part of the world. She kept on, kept on. Finally told me, said: I dont like the way this country is headed. I want my granddaughter to be able to have an abortion. And I said well mam I dont think you got any worries about the way the country is headed. The way I see it goin I dont have much doubt but what she’ll be able to have an abortion. I’m goin to say that not only will she be able to have an abortion, she’ll be able to have you put to sleep. Which pretty much ended the conversation.

Maybe the world is really going crazy.

ps: Mccarthy is really good, top level. His "The Road" is very strong (though I read it in Russian translation).

pss: movie "The Road" is a piece of sh*t compared to the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Stalin had only boots and a military tunic. Wealth is not measured only in dollars.
No it isn't. It may also be power, knowledge or untouchability. Like in the KGB!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
US does not disinfect the field? Can a person from street become President in US? No. It needs billions. Also the same thing, but with a different sauce.
The fact that Trump won the presidency, and Bernie Sanders came very close (he had no money, his campaign ran on donations) prooves that the US is not the same. The media did everything it could to tell people to vote for Hillary, but ultimately they lost. Americans don’t like to do as they are told to do.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No it isn't. It may also be power, knowledge or untouchability. Like in the KGB!
Money is just paper, isn't it? But money get power and facilities. But if you have power and facilities, why do you must have paper?

Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
The fact that Trump won the presidency, and Bernie Sanders came very close (he had no money, his campaign ran on donations) prooves that the US is not the same.
Sobchak also can be very close. Good performance always brings joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Americans don’t like to do as they are told to do.
I hope so.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Sobchak also can be very close. Good performance always brings joy.

I hope so.
I doubt it, unless Putin decides to retire, then all bets are off. Last time (and only time) Russia had a close election was in 1996

Yeltsin: 54.4%
Zyuganov: 40.7%

Btw why does Zyuganov keep running? He keeps loosing, shouldn't the Communist party try to have somebody else try and run? Is Zyuganov going to run again?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
And in the realm of "Hows that working for you"? todays offering is...........

An Estonian court has declared the owner of one of the country's largest meat processing companies bankrupt - The Baltic Review

Quote:
Alexander Musarov, once known as Estonia’s ‘pelmeni king’, got into trouble with creditors and the taxman after his business with neighboring Russia dried up due to the ongoing sanctions war between Moscow and the West.

According to Sputnik Estonia, the bankruptcy decision was made last week, but only reported on by local business media on Thursday.

Musarov previously complained that his company, UVIC AS, had suffered a major blow in 2014 when Russia introduced countersanctions against Western countries which had slapped restrictions against Moscow over the crisis in Ukraine.
I wonder how many more Estonians are going to emigrating to the EU for jobs cleaning toilets.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
pss: movie "The Road" is a piece of sh*t compared to the book.
I have a disc of the unedited screening version of The Road. To put it mildly it's disturbing. I could barely watch it myself. It makes the Walking Dead seem like a walk through a Disney theme park. I read the book and the movie follows the book closely and the visual aspect in front of you will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Humanity has a dark side, make no mistake of that.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Here kitty kitty!!!

Take a look at nature's catwalk, where four feline species all pass by the same camera traps

http://siberiantimes.com/other/other...iving-in-wild/

Old 10-20-2017, 05:21 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
US does not disinfect the field? Can a person from street become President in US? No. It needs billions.
I agree with you here.
The more events are progressing, the more obvious it becomes that it's really the Wall Street that runs America, - i.e. big money, not some "democracy." And with Trump in the oval office the gloves are off in this respect - it's enough to see the members of his cabinet.
I am well aware that many Russians see American system no different than their own under Putin - who cares how many parties are out there, if it's big money that govern them all.
So essentially the way I see it, the conflict between Russia and the US runs much deeper than one realizes/sees it on a surface. While many Americans believe that the world run by money is a just world, and there is nothing particularly wrong with it, your real-true Russian doesn't accept deep inside the justice of money. Those who do, are actually the traitors of their own culture - that's the way I see it)))
And that's why Russians disregard all this "multi-party" system in the US, when they see the end result all the same as in their own country - that "money talks, BS walks."

Quote:
Also the same thing, but with a different sauce.
It probably is ( and more exceedingly so lately,) if not for one thing.
You can't imagine Maxim, how wonderful it is to tune into the FB page of someone like Bernie Sanders - you know, that old guy from Vermont, the Senator, who broadcasts straight from the government what obnoxious decisions the members of the government are making against the interests of their own general population and how. And whom it's going to benefit directly instead. He talks in plain and simple terms, and that makes a lot of Americans feel that at least they are represented FOR REAL in their government.
In Russia, if you happen to disagree with Putin ( and his ilk) for a number of reasons ( Donbass for example) - you are not represented on gov. level at all. No who no how.
And that my friend, is a difference between the one-party system ( as in Russia) and multi-party systems after all.

Last edited by erasure; 10-20-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe