Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 PM

271 posts, read 369,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
All I say is there is a problem with the logic of the bolded sentence above. If an American tourist wants "an international hub in Europe" (regardless of whether the GaWC list is a good measure of that) he/she will go to London or Amsterdam; Scandinavia will likely be off the radar. If an American tourist is interested in Scandinavia, "Stockholm is more international" will not convince him/her to go there instead of Helsinki -- the fact that he/she is interested in Scandinavia is evidence that he/she is looking for something else. Your reference to Reykjavik is a good example of that -- if you're looking into Iceland that's because you want something different, "exotic", even though Reykjavik is a heck of a lot less cosmopolitan than Miami or Boston.

Maybe I'm biased -- I am going to Tallinn for work in a few weeks, and after that I will spend a week in St. Petersburg. I picked that city because of its historical significance, and because I am looking for something different. Some of my colleagues will do Finland instead. Somehow I doubt either of us picked either place because they are international hubs..
As I have pointed out before. Stockholm offer more parks, museums, upscale food, historical buildings and in the same time provide a more vibrant and international environment. You can see both just as you can see both in London, Paris or other historical major cities in Europe. I want to hear what Helsinki has to offer and what I can see they do not offer anything you cannot get in the other Nordic countries – only less ethnic diversity and a hint of what Sweden (including Stockholm) looked like before 1975 when the Swedish parliament decided that Sweden should become multicultural and borders were erected. If one is into ethno-watching in a major city – Helsinki and Finland would be it. If you go to Malmo about 45 percent have a foreign background. Within ten years ethnic Swedes will become a minority in Malmo. Apparently ethnic Swedes will become a minority in their own homeland before 2050. You do not find anything of that sort in Finland and so the Nordic culture, religion and history are retained within Finland. So – you want to see blond men and women in a major city doing what Swedes did 30 years ago. Well, Helsinki is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM

43 posts, read 161,247 times
buy a camping car (used) and take a nice stroll around man, its a great way to test the earth, land in all places, do the nasty and then reflect on the atmosphere, honestly, its colder up north, Denmark is no a friendly place if your already taken, and if anyone told you they are friendly its a lie in fact if a Danish girl nip picks your brain with questions in a bar she is very interested in you, she just wants to know if your willing to be her slave and obey the JANTES LAW or take a walk.

there is only one good thing in those NORDIC countries and that is the women are desperate and will pull you into a public Bathroom for a fast one, just dont let their friends see you if your not blond or they will claim you raped them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe