Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 PM

26,843 posts, read 22,662,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
No, I have not, but people I've met have been. They say there are places to meet, dance, sing, drink, but that the overall level of paranoia for gays is palpably high in Russia, Belarus, Bulgaria, and some other eastern Slavic lands. It's not good in Moscow, and even worse in the larger provincial Russian cities (Volgograd, Vladivostok). Definitely a different planet from the West for gay men (and "West" includes Oklahoma and Alabama).
I was already trying to explain earlier why it's a case in Eastern Slavic lands.
The relations between males there are much closer, ( among females too by the way) than in Northern ( read Western) countries. Hugging and kissing among people of the same sex was always part of the culture, so naturally in such culture males( in particular) would be more on alert, weeding out those who they deem dangerous for their usual "way of things," even if on subconscious level.
In Western culture there is a more "distance" between people, that's why gay culture is less invasive and more acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,492,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I was already trying to explain earlier why it's a case in Eastern Slavic lands.
The relations between males there are much closer, ( among females too by the way) than in Northern ( read Western) countries. Hugging and kissing among people of the same sex was always part of the culture, so naturally in such culture males( in particular) would be more on alert, weeding out those who they deem dangerous for their usual "way of things," even if on subconscious level.
In Western culture there is a more "distance" between people, that's why gay culture is less invasive and more acceptable.
This is what Putler told you? No words to describe how sorry I am for you poor poor people.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
This is what Putler told you? No words to describe how sorry I am for you poor poor people.
Yes, all while sitting under your bed.
Poor, poor Majurius. Be careful when you go to sleep tonight.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,120,464 times
Quote:
I don't buy that at all. Males in Spain, Portugal, and Italy are just as physically demonstrative as Russian males are. Men in Greece can be as well, and though Greece is certainly not in the forefront of gay rights, things are far more open and tolerant there compared to Russia. All these countries have made good or better-than-good progress in the matter of accepting gays (Spain even has gay marriage), all despite some macho cultural norms. Slavic countries like Poland and the Czech Republic are less repressive in gay issues than Russia is, and neither one would think of instituting the Russian Federation's repressive "propaganda law." Russia is socially retrograde in many measures, and this is one of the measures.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,997,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Madagascar is doing really good but don't know if i can take the map serious with the Philippines only <0.1%
True! I myself cannot believe the AIDS figures in the Philippines; it is WAY TOO LOW considering what I'm observing in my country!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,997,067 times
Quote:
By the way: the religious and cultural practices in Saudi Arabia are off subject. So are those of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Venezuela, three political allies of Russia.
I think what he's asking is your countrymen and government treat this issue of gay rights (and other forms of human rights) in an even-handed matter! If what is happening in any given place is bad for human rights in general, condemn BOTH ally and rival/foe, as well as yourselves EQUALLY! Don't treat an ally (like Saudi) with kid's gloves just because they are an "ally", while condemn a "rival" country like Russia for something less severe! Such selective application of outrage may only cause offense to those who feel they are being unfairly targeted, and will just backfire and NOT HELP the cause of whatever you're trying to promote!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,483,058 times
Considering the constant diet of **** that Putin's propaganda machine has been feeding his people, it's really no surprise that Russians have lost the ability to think critically.

Video: This Is What Russian Propaganda Does To Your Brain

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,436,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Considering the constant diet of **** that Putin's propaganda machine has been feeding his people, it's really no surprise that Russians have lost the ability to think critically.

Video: This Is What Russian Propaganda Does To Your Brain
Stop raping dogs you perverts !

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I don't buy that at all. Males in Spain, Portugal, and Italy are just as physically demonstrative as Russian males are.
Being 'demonstrative" does not necessarily mean "having the same culture." The catholic cultures are more superficial in this respect than Russian one I've noticed.

Quote:
Men in Greece can be as well, and though Greece is certainly not in the forefront of gay rights, things are far more open and tolerant there compared to Russia. All these countries have made good or better-than-good progress in the matter of accepting gays (Spain even has gay marriage), all despite some macho cultural norms. Slavic countries like Poland and the Czech Republic are less repressive in gay issues than Russia is, and neither one would think of instituting the Russian Federation's repressive "propaganda law." Russia is socially retrograde in many measures, and this is one of the measures.
These two cultures are quite different from Russian one and for different reasons, so why are you even comparing them with Russians when it comes to LGBT issues, I don't know.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,492,109 times
Quote:
Yes, all while sitting under your bed.
Poor, poor Majurius. Be careful when you go to sleep tonight.
Don't worry, I still have my gran father's Luger! It has killed russian before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe