Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times

Advertisements

Americans are obsessed with race because America actually has considerable numers of people of different races along with a lengthy, and strained, history related to the presence of such diversity within the society.

Some of the obsession is unhealthy, I comletely agree, especially when it is couched in an anti-social context, but there is nothing wrong with an anthropological or biological interest in human diversity and culture stemming from an American's personal experience and observations of humanity.

I think it is better to have an open discourse, if nothing else, it lets one recognize the social deviants rather than the typical non-response of ignoring human diversity and feeling content that "All those people are merrily existing 'down there somewhere' ", or "The ones who live in my city must be perfectly happy with how society treats them because we are not racist like the Americans, oh no..."

Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
I don't find Americans all that "obsessed with race."
You have to come to the Europe forum to get in on the 10000 post blonde hair haplotype discussions.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
In my experience, immigrants from Soviet Union adopt an opinion about races after coming to US.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:14 PM

283 posts, read 327,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
In my experience, immigrants from Soviet Union adopt an opinion about races after coming to US.
Nah, I've met Eastern Euros who have never even stepped foot in America who are obsessed with race. Its a sick obsession

Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

194 posts, read 423,027 times
I don't think Eastern Europeans are obsessed with race. Not even close to what happens in US or Latin America. All over Eastern Europe people will obsess less about dark or light skin color, blond hair, blue eyes. You will not get any bonus points if you are white blond person with blue eyes versus somebody with Asian features.
There is no doubt a lot of xenophobia, antisemitism in Eastern Europe but this is not race driven. Even gypsy persecution is less about race than the what is perceived to be a different way of life. You can look like the archetypal gypsy and you still claim you are not gypsy and you are Hungarian, Romanian or whatever. People my comment that you look like a gypsy, have a gypsy grandmother but this will stop there, you will not be discriminated because you have darker skin. On the other hand if you are a gypsy with blue eyes or light skin, hair you will face exactly the same racism as all other gypsies.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM

251 posts, read 396,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Bulgarians are erroneously considered "slavs". It was communist propaganda to claim they are related to russia and ukraine. Here are recent bulgarian non-biased studies that show that the real origin of bulgarians was Iran or so:

Scholars Claim Bulgarians Descended from Iran - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency

DNA studies also confirm it. I think the Op means "Slavic" as Russian and others not bulgaria which even if slavic will represent just 5% of the slavic world or less.
Bulgarians are South Slavic. Russians are East Slavic. So yes, they are different.

Southern Slavs tend to be more swarthy. Bulgarians are more related to Serbs and other ex Yugoslavs,

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
I don't think Eastern Europeans are obsessed with race. Not even close to what happens in US or Latin America. All over Eastern Europe people will obsess less about dark or light skin color, blond hair, blue eyes. You will not get any bonus points if you are white blond person with blue eyes versus somebody with Asian features.
There is no doubt a lot of xenophobia, antisemitism in Eastern Europe but this is not race driven. Even gypsy persecution is less about race than the what is perceived to be a different way of life. You can look like the archetypal gypsy and you still claim you are not gypsy and you are Hungarian, Romanian or whatever. People my comment that you look like a gypsy, have a gypsy grandmother but this will stop there, you will not be discriminated because you have darker skin. On the other hand if you are a gypsy with blue eyes or light skin, hair you will face exactly the same racism as all other gypsies.

lmao

Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
I agree that Eastern European men are more vocal about race and homosexuality. They totally don't accept an idea of a white female sleeping around with black guys, that's a prostitute, a traitor to the race/nation. Few of them would be proud to say that they have gay friends. It's not strictly about race though, former soviet block slavs call dark skinned ethnic minorities of the former USSR a rude derivative of two words "black" and "butt", and those people are not that particularly black. It all goes down to a pecking order of former Russian/Soviet empire. Slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussians) were considered to be upper caste with the Russians at the absolute top, Asiatic and Caucasus minorities were considered to be second grade, too dumb, sinister and uncultured to embrace high Russian culture that slavs selflessly tried to introduce in their world. It's quite amazing mindset considering that Russians borrowed almost everything from the great outside.

I'm not quite sure about the origins of the slavic racism since slavs didn't live with blacks to develop grudges and neither they enslaved them to need a racial theory of dominance. I guess, they just envious of other white civilizators that Slavs (especially Russians) tried desperately to parrot. Thus racism for them means belonging to a club of white, superior people unlike those Asiatic barbarians that frequently kick their butts in everyday life. Envy, latent inferiority complexes, compensation for losing fat feeding grounds to minorities.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I agree that Eastern European men are more vocal about race and homosexuality. They totally don't accept an idea of a white female sleeping around with black guys, that's a prostitute, a traitor to the race/nation. Few of them would be proud to say that they have gay friends. It's not strictly about race though, former soviet block slavs call dark skinned ethnic minorities of the former USSR a rude derivative of two words "black" and "butt", and those people are not that particularly black. It all goes down to a pecking order of former Russian/Soviet empire. Slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussians) were considered to be upper caste with the Russians at the absolute top, Asiatic and Caucasus minorities were considered to be second grade, too dumb, sinister and uncultured to embrace high Russian culture that slavs selflessly tried to introduce in their world. It's quite amazing mindset considering that Russians borrowed almost everything from the great outside.

I'm not quite sure about the origins of the slavic racism since slavs didn't live with blacks to develop grudges and neither they enslaved them to need a racial theory of dominance. I guess, they just envious of other white civilizators that Slavs (especially Russians) tried desperately to parrot. Thus racism for them means belonging to a club of white, superior people unlike those Asiatic barbarians that frequently kick their butts in everyday life. Envy, latent inferiority complexes, compensation for losing fat feeding grounds to minorities.
THANK YOU!

Some honesty in this thread finally as opposed to people getting defensive about the truth

Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
Nah, I've met Eastern Euros who have never even stepped foot in America who are obsessed with race. Its a sick obsession
I was born in Soviet Union and I am a product of Russian schools. We were told that there such people who have dark skin color. The name of that race was the "N" word, and these people have been mistreated throughout history.

When I arrived to US I was shocked. How do you mistreated a people so much that they find the name of their own race shameful. I was applauded.

This is the state in which we have arrived. Those of us who have learned racism, have learned it here and not over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.