Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
Certain ethnic groups that arent even PRESENT in their countries?

Nearly every Eastern European/Slavic person that I've encountered has been obsessed with race and more specifically, obsessed with hating a particular race that is rarely even found in Eastern Europe

Is this just something ingrained in Slavic culture? Why are so many Slavic people obsessed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's "white" people from the Anglo-American countries that are largely obsessed with race and classifying people according to their physical characteristics and spending days on C-D arguing about haplogroups and redheads, not Eastern Europeans. Not a week goes by where a "white" American starts a topic, or revives a dead one, on C-D talking about racial or phenotype genetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I am colombian and I've been to eastern europe and never met anyone in eastern europe who'd talk about race to me....

americans are the ones who often bring the race topic up and have an obsession with race (it doesnt matter color, origin, if they're american race is like a religion)

could it be that the slavic people u meet are in america and they are americanized (focused on race like a lot of americans) and you think its slavic people in general? because the slavic people i met in their countries didnt give me the impression of being race obsessed.
Its a sick obsession? it seems pretty natural around here just look at the responses... people constantly grouping up different nationalities, races and religions and linking them to some random stereotype....

Why do you say its a sick obsession?

Quote:
Nah, I've met Eastern Euros who have never even stepped foot in America who are obsessed with race. Its a sick obsession

Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
I'm Slavic (by blood). I don't hate anyone at all. I do think Slavic nations should remain that way. They should not become cosmopolitan. We have a tendency to love our own people and heritage.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM

283 posts, read 327,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I'm Slavic (by blood). I don't hate anyone at all. I do think Slavic nations should remain that way. They should not become cosmopolitan. We have a tendency to love our own people and heritage.
I agree they shouldnt become cosmopolitan

They shouldnt attack foreign tourists and the 0.1% of non Slavs there either though....

Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I agree they shouldnt become cosmopolitan

They shouldnt attack foreign tourists and the 0.1% of non Slavs there either though....
Since when are foreign tourists and non-Slavs attacked? And 0.1% non-Slavs? Not in every Slavic country. Russia, for one, has a large non-Slavic population.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!

Some honesty in this thread finally as opposed to people getting defensive about the truth
Your "truth" is very one-sided. And so is most likely the "truth" of a person you are quoting here.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:00 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
you're not from eastern europe... this whole I am american but my great great gradpas's dog was irish so I am irish doesnt count!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:55 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Your "truth" is very one-sided. And so is most likely the "truth" of a person you are quoting here.
Comrade Erasure cannot lie and twist the truth unopposed when I am involved in a discussion. He is just a guy emotionally involved with the Russian nazi cause, life in USA is not what it cracked up to be, many immigrants compensate their dissatisfaction by creating an idealized, mythical world where they are at the top of food chain. His mythical Russian Empire is not racist, and yet from what little he revealed he is a russified minority, all permeating environment of quasi racism/nazism is essential for injecting minorities with inferiority complexes that would push them to assimilate.

Another point, slavic men die young because of alcoholism, etc. This leaves lots of single women hooking up with the dark skinned guys who are viewed as more reliable providers, this leads to the racial resentment among the slavic men who survive (barely).
Vodka blamed for high death rates in Russia - BBC News

Last edited by RememberMee; 03-02-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
you're not from eastern europe...
Did I say I was from Eastern Europe?! No! I said I was Slavic by blood.

Quote:
this whole I am american but my great great gradpas's dog was irish so I am irish doesnt count!
Have you ever met your grandparents? I have--they were born & raised in Ukraine. I know how they would have felt about this. Supposing Slavic nations improve economically to the point that they draw economic migrants, I wonder whom my grandparents would think of as more Slavic--the economic migrant with no Slavic blood, heritage, or connexion to the land--or their own kin. Yeah, there's a reason most countries think of their citizens not as whoever happens to be born on their particular tract of land, but as one who--whether born at home or abroad--descends from their people and carries their blood.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM

257 posts, read 518,007 times
Well Jackson you should be more specific what groups/nations are like that. You know tell us a story, give us some examples and so on. You know I am from Czech Republic which is a Slavic country. However I have never experienced what you are talking about. I mean I can not speak for other Slavic speaking countries but this kind of generalization is quite annoying. Here, on C-D forum, you can read a bunch of threads posted by non-Slavic speaking people about race, ethnicity, haplo-groups etc. For instance, in America a lot of people say something like "I am Irish American" or "German American". I think it is kind of obsession. From my perspective they are just Americans. However I do not mind them calling themselves whatever they want.
On the other hand if you live in Europe, which is a "motherland" for many Americans, you simply do not have a necessity to talk and act like that. You are Czech/Polish/German/French/Spanish/Bulgarian because your ancestors were Czech/Polish/French.
And as for my country, Czech Republic. Historically, we are a mixture of people. I will give you an example. I have a Hungarian surname. My best high school friend has a typical German name and surname. If he told you his name, you would not even consider him being Czech. The same situation with my really good mate from university. A guy of German ancestry considering himself being Czech. I have also a good friend whose family is completely Polish but he, again, considers himself Czech. In fact, nobody gives a s..t about this kind of stuff here. It is predominantly an American thing, not European or Slavic. I hope I made myself clear...

Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
And as for my country, Czech Republic. Historically, we are a mixture of people. I will give you an example. I have a Hungarian surname. My best high school friend has a typical German name and surname. If he told you his name, you would not even consider him being Czech. The same situation with my really good mate from university. A guy of German ancestry considering himself being Czech. I have also a good friend whose family is completely Polish but he, again, considers himself Czech. In fact, nobody gives a s..t about this kind of stuff here. It is predominantly an American thing, not European or Slavic. I hope I made myself clear...
I guess this depends on two things. If you have a Hungarian name, is it ONLY a Hungarian name? And nothing else? Than, you are right, you SHOULD consider yourself Czech.

The mass majority of Americans, who are 100% culturally American, do 100% consider themselves American.

The exception is for people with American passports, who have a strong tie/connection to somewhere else. If someday you were to emigrate to the U.S., would you completely DENY you had had any Czech (or Hungarian) blood in you? Would you tell your kids to FORGET everything about what it means to be Czech?

I think some Europeans can't relate to Americans with strong ethnic heritage elsewhere, as they don't have the concept or understanding of it.

If your parents both spoke Hungarian to you all the time, told you the Hungarian way of doing things all the time, you'd end up thinking you had some connection or knowledge to Hungary. If your name is ONLY Hungarian and there is no other connection at all, then you are right, you shouldn't know anything about Hungary, or speak on any cultural behalf of it whatsoever, as you wouldn't know anything about it.

In short, if some Europeans don't understand the concept of emigrating and having strong family connections culturally to other places, than so be it. But, because you don't have any knowledge or experience of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe it'll take another generation for Europeans to understand that. As Brits move to Spain, Swedes to Italy, etc. Maybe it'll be the next generation when you'll have Brits talk about how they grew up in Spain, but still consider themselves Brits. You might need another generation to understand it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe