Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,455,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I guess this depends on two things. If you have a Hungarian name, is it ONLY a Hungarian name? And nothing else? Than, you are right, you SHOULD consider yourself Czech.

The mass majority of Americans, who are 100% culturally American, do 100% consider themselves American.
Is it any wonder people don't? America is not a nation with a common identity. I identify very strongly with my fellow people and the land here. But I don't see much good in the government or whatever America "officially" is or is becoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think some Europeans can't relate to Americans with strong ethnic heritage elsewhere, as they don't have the concept or understanding of it.
Exactly! Let's put it in perspective. Many European-Americans have been here for only a few generations. Compare that to millennia of European history and heritage and it really gives you an idea of where you truly come from. Those roots are a lot stronger than a few generations spent overseas. It's relatively easy to regain the language and culture if you were to move back when you already have that blood connexion. (You'll still be seen as an American, of course. But your progeny will simply be back in the land of their forebears.)

Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM

26,832 posts, read 22,643,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its a sick obsession? it seems pretty natural around here just look at the responses... people constantly grouping up different nationalities, races and religions and linking them to some random stereotype....

Why do you say its a sick obsession?
Invinsible...
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think that Americans that constantly discuss race on the forum are not WHITE Americans, but people of color/admixtures.
My experience is such, that white Americans either don't care much about this issue, or they don't like to discuss it publicly. Those who do it loudly and out in the open though, are not the "forum" types.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,844,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Invinsible...
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think that Americans that constantly discuss race on the forum are not WHITE Americans, but people of color/admixtures.
My experience is such, that white Americans either don't care much about this issue, or they don't like to discuss it publicly. Those who do it loudly and out in the open though, are not the "forum" types.
not all americans are race obsessed, but most seem to go thru an age where they do become infatuated with race

usually from high school onto their 30's.... and then they sort of get over it (I guess life gets them)

white americans are just as obsessed with race, go on youtube and watch any video involving blacks fighting or whatever and you'll be amazed at how many of the white ones are constantly bashing black americans and telling them things such as: (I am irish, german, norwegian, cherokee, italian and I think that...)

Old 03-02-2015, 10:23 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,402,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
not all americans are race obsessed, but most seem to go thru an age where they do become infatuated with race

usually from high school onto their 30's.... and then they sort of get over it (I guess life gets them)

white americans are just as obsessed with race, go on youtube and watch any video involving blacks fighting or whatever and you'll be amazed at how many of the white ones are constantly bashing black americans and telling them things such as: (I am irish, german, norwegian, cherokee, italian and I think that...)
Its the whole western world though I don't buy that Americans are any more obsessed than Australians or Spanish people. There's nothing wrong with being race obsessed but if their racist aswell that's another story.

Quote:
you're not from eastern europe... this whole I am american but my great great gradpas's dog was irish so I am irish doesnt count!
Your missing the point Irene, White Americans are not ''native'' to North America but are European by blood and to some extent by culture. One can't change his or hers heritage in a few generations (300 years or so) and certainly not DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Did I say I was from Eastern Europe?! No! I said I was Slavic by blood.

Have you ever met your grandparents? I have--they were born & raised in Ukraine. I know how they would have felt about this. Supposing Slavic nations improve economically to the point that they draw economic migrants, I wonder whom my grandparents would think of as more Slavic--the economic migrant with no Slavic blood, heritage, or connexion to the land--or their own kin. Yeah, there's a reason most countries think of their citizens not as whoever happens to be born on their particular tract of land, but as one who--whether born at home or abroad--descends from their people and carries their blood.
lol

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,844,380 times
actually Americans are more plondon... I ve lived there and now in Europe and I can guarantee you in Europe the race obsession is 90% less.... maybe in the UK is a bit higher because of american influence, but in continental europe is a lot less racial

at least here in switzerland people dont ask u what race u are, like they do in america... and the media pretty much is kinda over it, doesnt care.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
actually Americans are more plondon... I ve lived there and now in Europe and I can guarantee you in Europe the race obsession is 90% less.... maybe in the UK is a bit higher because of american influence, but in continental europe is a lot less racial

at least here in switzerland people dont ask u what race u are, like they do in america... and the media much is kinda over it, doesnt care.
Obsession with the concept of race and being a racist is two different things though. I can tell you if I could choose to live in either continental Europe or the USA I'd choose the latter.

The racism may be expressed different (more akin to xenophobia) but nevertheless the ''White'' and ''other'' system still exists...

Last year when I went to Bordeaux I sure did feel like an outsider and not because I didn't speak French.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,922,382 times
[quote=Irene-cd;38655293]not all americans are race obsessed, but most seem to go thru an age where they do become infatuated with race

This isn't at all the case where I live at in California I rarely hear anyone discussing race.

Actually from personal experience the only group that I have had contact with that discusses race and phenotypes frequently is African-Americans. I have heard long discussions on good hair, bad hair, short hair, long hair, good textured hair, bad textured hair, light complexion, dark complexion, yellow complexion, red complexion, on and on and on etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,540,346 times
Europeans are very insecure about what phenotype or racial type they fall into. Its quite disturbing actually. Just go tell an Italian that they look Spanish and see what happens.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Actually from personal experience the only group that I have had contact with that discusses race and phenotypes frequently is African-Americans. I have heard long discussions on good hair, bad hair, short hair, long hair, good textured hair, bad textured hair, light complexion, dark complexion, yellow complexion, red complexion, on and on and on etc. etc. etc.
Inferiority complex, my own family says stuff like ''He's too dark'' I'm like ''Why'' the reponse I get is somewhere on the lines of ugly, too dark EVEN APE. With the hair, well its the same thing its the brainwashing they've been put through say that to them and you'd probably get boxed in the face.

Its internalised Racism your witnessing.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Quote:

at least here in switzerland people dont ask u what race u are, like they do in america... and the media pretty much is kinda over it, doesnt care.
If the UK is thinking about race, its because its forced to think about race.

The US isn't ''forcing" or "influencing" the UK to think about race. The UK thinks about race because its a multiracial society, and it must look at it. There is no other way around it.

Switzerland. Yeah, I can't imagine they'd talk about race. Why would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe