Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,077 times

Advertisements

I've been in italy some weeks ago,I've always wondered if stereotypes and differences between northern and southern italy are known only in italy or in all the world(by medium people i mean,no by italy's experts).Could you help me?And the famous italian fashion is from northern or southern italy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:14 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie1 View Post
I've been in italy some weeks ago,I've always wondered if stereotypes and differences between northern and southern italy are known only in italy or in all the world(by medium people i mean,no by italy's experts).Could you help me?And the famous italian fashion is from northern or southern italy?
Differences between northern and southern Italians are most keenly perceived in Italy. Any western European, and some Americans, with an interest in Italy will also be aware of them.

Last century, the average person in the English-speaking world perceived Italian stereotypes through the prism of mostly southern Italian immigrants and their portrayal in media and entertainment. This may be changing.

Milan, in northern Italy, is one of the world's fashion capitals, at times it outrivals Paris.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Milan, in northern Italy, is one of the world's fashion capitals, at times it outrivals Paris.
Milan is a fashion capital, but is not considered a serious rival to Paris (or New York for that matter) as a dominant center for the industry. It's important, but it's like the Australian Open compared to Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

There are always jokes about fashion industry hating going to Milan for their Fashion Weeks, because the city has a rep (not entirely deserved) as being grey, boring, uncool, etc. I guess compared to NYC and Paris, yeah, but most cities won't look too good compared to those two.

As an outsider, I find Milan to be more like a Frankfurt and Zurich than like a Rome. In my book, that's a bad thing, but I'm sure others have different views.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM

No wait a moment,milan is after paris THE fashion capital,at least so is considered.And about being grey the ny times as everyone(i've had a confirm on my trip)is saying that has became a very dynamic and energic city,maybe some years ago it was considered a little grey and too business oriented

Old 11-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
No wait a moment,milan is after paris THE fashion capital,at least so is considered.And about being grey the ny times as everyone(i've had a confirm on my trip)is saying that has became a very dynamic and energic city,maybe some years ago it was considered a little grey and too business oriented
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I can tell you that in the fashion industry, NYC and Paris are far ahead of Milan.

My wife actually works in fashion marketing and has been to the various fashion weeks in the major fashion centers. NYC and Paris are, easily the biggest fashion centers, if we are talking the industry itself.

The Italian fashion industry is actually very geographically dispersed with some in Rome, some in Tuscany, and the like. And many top Italian designers are actually based out of Paris or NYC. Milan is more of a business center that has the largest concentration of Italian fashion industry, but is very local.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Milan is a fashion capital, but is not considered a serious rival to Paris (or New York for that matter) as a dominant center for the industry. It's important, but it's like the Australian Open compared to Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

There are always jokes about fashion industry hating going to Milan for their Fashion Weeks, because the city has a rep (not entirely deserved) as being grey, boring, uncool, etc. I guess compared to NYC and Paris, yeah, but most cities won't look too good compared to those two.

As an outsider, I find Milan to be more like a Frankfurt and Zurich than like a Rome. In my book, that's a bad thing, but I'm sure others have different views.
Well, I might be a few years older than you and I remember headier times in Milan, so from a more recent perspective you are probably right.

I left Milan and Italy more than a decade ago, then FIAT followed in my footsteps (hahaha).

In the past few years, some French fashion industry companies have bought out a couple of Italy's major fashion industry companies, at least one of which Tuscany-based, I believe. At any rate, that should tell you something.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:35 PM

But also in usa(where italians are considered pizza,spaghetti and goomba),milan has this rep of being business oriented,grey,snob and sophisticated?Do americans know the difference between northern and southern italy?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
But also in usa (where italians are considered pizza,spaghetti and goomba),milan has this rep of being business oriented,grey,snob and sophisticated?Do americans know the difference between northern and southern italy?

I already answered the second question: those with an interest in Italy will be aware of differences between north and south. But most people have other things to worry about.

Most people have no clue what Milan is. I remember about 40 years ago an article in the Wall Street Journal describing the Milanese as dour; in other words, yes, business oriented and grey.

Sophisticated? Some for sure.

Snob? No, I didn't think so. I dealt mainly with serious and hard working professionals, some shysters, but not snobs by any means.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
But also in usa(where italians are considered pizza,spaghetti and goomba),milan has this rep of being business oriented,grey,snob and sophisticated?Do americans know the difference between northern and southern italy?
Italian immigrants to the U.S. are overwhelmingly from Southern Italy.

Milan is more like a German or Swiss city culturally. It really feels like Frankfurt to me, but with more stylish dressers and more mopeds everywhere.

I'm not sure I would call Milan "snob and sophisticated". It's different, but not sophisticated like in Paris, London or New York. More of a business town, strictly. Not many international playboys, not many hipsters, not many celebrity types.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Italian immigrants to the U.S. are overwhelmingly from Southern Italy.

Milan is more like a German or Swiss city culturally. It really feels like Frankfurt to me, but with more stylish dressers and more mopeds everywhere.

I'm not sure I would call Milan "snob and sophisticated". It's different, but not sophisticated like in Paris, London or New York. More of a business town, strictly. Not many international playboys, not many hipsters, not many celebrity types.
You're probably right,but i can assure you that after expo is completely changed,i've also red it on the ny times.For example the new skyscraper has been considered the best in the world,and there are many events and other things.I think it has became more like it was in 80(if you know the "milan to drink"in that period).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe