Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:20 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
China has higher emission because everything is made in China. Most of the consumer goods that are used in the western world. It is an arrangement that benefit both China and the west. I am sure in 1900, the UK had the highest per capita emission in the world too. Whoever manufacture the most will end polluting more, are you surprised?

I am denying China's environmental regular is far from good. It is probably very bad by western standard, but why do they have to live by western standard anyway? Most of developing countries do not have high standard for environmental pollution - not because it is justified, but that's the way it is. thats why they are developing countries. What's Japan and Germany's excuse? Korea, even Singapore. And new zealand, which pretty much makes nothing? Not to mention the US, which is more than 2 times as high.

Or let me put it this way, if China has 20% of world's population, it can't be blame for contributing to 20% of the emission (or lower). It is that simple. Each human is equal on this planet.
No, China accounts for 30% of the global carbon dioxide emissions, so it's not even equal now.

And seriously "the west did it so it's ok for us to do it now" mentality is not helping. There was no such idea back in those days, but now, people have a higher standard of what's acceptable. Besides, the industry was nowhere near the scale of what it is today, so however bad it was in Europe in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century, it didn't have the negative impact in today's magnitude. It's not about western standard, it's about how the future is going to look like.

Quote:
Tourists ill-mannered, yes. I don't disagree at all. The Chinese get a bit richer only recently, and most of them hardly know how to behave in foreign countries. However, it obviously doesn't prevent western countries from welcoming them. Continue to dislike Chinese tourists, that's fine (I do too, and I always try to avoid Chinese tour groups), but the fact they dislike them doesn't affect Chinese tourists whatsoever. It only makes those westerners a bit more upset - those Chinese don't even know and hardly care.

I don't know why you constant need to resort to use **** in your posts by the way. It seems you are always angry about something (unless it is about Japan).
It doesn't affect them, but it seems to unsettle you in that you had to defend them in a condescending tone, as if Euopreans were all gonna starve to death if China stops sending tourists to Europe.

Fyi **** and **** are like kindergarten cursewords. Everyone's using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Chinese tourists in Helsinki are always amazed about how clean the air and the environment is, even in a capital city.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:30 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,576,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You can keep saying that "Europeans need our money" and keep belittling them in such a condescending tone, but that kind of rationale will never be effective, and they would only continue to dislike Chinese tourists, until maybe decades after those Chinese tourists finally behave themselves.

It's not only their behaviour, but also the way most of them have poor skills to comunicate with all of us Europeans, neither in English as a lingua franca nor in another European languages for that matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NDqZy4deDI

Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
No, China accounts for 30% of the global carbon dioxide emissions, so it's not even equal now.
Sure, 30%, and 4% for Japan. And Japan's population is less than 1/10 of china's.
So China is not that bad. They are actually outperforming your idol country.

Quote:
It doesn't affect them, but it seems to unsettle you in that you had to defend them in a condescending tone, as if Euopreans were all gonna starve to death if China stops sending tourists to Europe.
I never showed any "condenscension". Sometimes I defend China only because some people take ignorant cheap shots, or they just have a prejudice and hold some petty agenda (go look in the mirror).

Where did I suggest Europe will "starve to death"? Your hyperbolic logic is brilliant. But the truth is most European countries are wooing China toursits by simplifying visa process more and more. They definitely do not mind Chinese tourist money - that applies to Japan and Taiwan too.

Plus, why do you get so smug? The Taiwanese are essentially the same. Most people in the world don't differentiate them. Only in your dreamy mind the Taiwanese are considered superior or somehow similar to the Japanese. Not in a million years.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-28-2017 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 03:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Chinese tourists in Helsinki are always amazed about how clean the air and the environment is, even in a capital city.
Of course. But you capital is really a small city by Chinese standard. Pudong district Shanghai alone has the entire population of Finland. but of course smaller Chinese cities are actually dirtier.

Even in shanghai, a city where people are better behaved, I am still shocked by how people often just randomly throw away the trash (such as a plastic cup after used) on the street as if it is absolutely normal... I will never get used to it.

China has a long way to go. Everytime I go back to visit, I get frustrated with people within a week. It is a huge country with massive regional and educational differences, and because of the large population, their annoying behavior overseas can be very palpable. But it is improving and the young urban generation are much better. Last time I was dining in Turin, and there was 3 young people, one Italian guy and 2 Chinese. The Italian guy talked very loud for the entire time (at least 45 minutes) and the entire restaurants could hear him. The two Chinese on the other hand, talked very softly and I hardly heard what they said.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-28-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM

210 posts, read 200,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
And when it is crowded, many people love to use their elbow to push people around them. I am like "what the hell are you doing"?

China has a long way to go. Everytime I go back to visit, I get frustrated with people within a week.
This habit chinese have of laying their hands on other people is just something else. I understand it's something acceptable doing within their culture but it becomes a problem when they travel or emigrate abroad and import that "made in china" sick custom. In the LA area I've had middle-aged chinese men put their hands on me to get through. Once I told one of them "beware of putting your hands on someone without having been invited to do, you'll end up punched in the mouth or with a law suit".

Old 04-28-2017, 03:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
It's not only their behaviour, but also the way most of them have poor skills to comunicate with all of us Europeans, neither in English as a lingua franca nor in another European languages for that matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NDqZy4deDI
They do not speak a language related to any European language, and in general their cultural roots are different.

Linguists have commented on the difficulties of mastering a language unrelated to your own.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, Chinese are absolutely overwhelming everywhere these days, for example, Japan.

It is quite a shock, as Chinese are not known for being respectful or polite.
You can say that again....Chinese are not known for being respectful or polite

Old 04-28-2017, 06:34 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
They would not all be from China, but also in places such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default You forgot one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, Chinese are absolutely overwhelming everywhere these days, for example, Japan.

It is quite a shock, as Chinese are not known for being respectful or polite.
Nor are they known to be generous. I suspect it is a generational thing, the younger, 1st generation Western-Chinese are more in tune with the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe