Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would never say that Germans are poorly dressed. EVER.

Berlin has the most fashionable people in Germany, very artsy and diverse. Not sure why you think they are poorly dressed? Maybe you do not recognize their try to be different and mistakenly judge it as poorly.

And how do you know what all Germans think about work? I would say they are not know for long hours but the hours they put in they are very productive. There is a good work/life balance. Americans work more hours, Germans value their free time. They love to travel and wherever you, you'll see some German tourists.

I do not understand why we have a German bash thread because one person thinks this country sucks. And bringing up the Hitler guilt is just wrong. Nobody mentions slavery every time the US does something controversial.
Germans are not better dressed than other Europeans. And yes, Berlin has been known for poorly dressed people. Of course this might be changing now thanks to the boom of that city.

Berlin does certainly not have the most fashionable people in Germany. Düsseldorf, Dresden, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt etc. are all ahead. Berlin is by far the biggest German city, but size alone gives the wrong impression. Big parts of Berlin is certainly not where I would want to live. People are struggling and they look it.

In German there is the specific term "innere Kündigung" for the the phenomenon that many people hate their jobs and only don't quit formally because they don't have an alternative. It is a well-known problem, not my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
^ Don't forget that the romans or the egyptians were the bad guys thousands of years ago, when everyone was as savage as them.

In modern history there are only 3 countries that have attempted genocide: Russia, Turkey, Germany.

The bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki or the Japanese crimes in China were crimes against humanity but at least not genocide.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
interestingly you're wrong here. The difference between Germany and those countries is that in history they have never had any redeeming qualities or acts of kindness and good that gives their history two sides. Furthermore they committed the largest genocide in history just these past few decades and the people and the country have not changed. They are once again immediately back at it trying to dominate Europe and tell others what to do.

There was this really telling article (I'll try to find) that is of a holocaust survivor saying there is something deeply concerning about the German people that to this day still scares him and fears if the German economy were to go bad like it did in the early 30s the country could easily seep back into authoritarianism.
As much as I dislike modern Germany, that statement on Germans is bogus. Germans are not worse just because it says German on their ID. There is no gene for being a bad person. And if there were, people in Germany's neighboring countries such as the Netherlands would be bad as well as they are genetically the same along the border.
The Holocaust was not even a German idea, many of its components (such as the gas chamber) actually date back to the strong eugenics movement in California, which supported and funded Hitler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeni..._United_States
Hitler himself was only a naturalized German.
And other European countries also tried to get rid of Jews on various occasions throughout European history.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-18-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ Don't forget that the romans or the egyptians were the bad guys thousands of years ago, when everyone was as savage as them.

In modern history there are only 3 countries that have attempted genocide: Russia, Turkey, Germany.

The bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki or the Japanese crimes in China were crimes against humanity but at least not genocide.
Rwanda, too, and probably some more...

Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was puzzled whether to include Rwanda or Srebrenica/Serbia but the first one was part of wartime battles, the 2nd one was ~8,000 people from one village. Genocide as an idea is the belief to exterminate one race/culture, not just kill many people which is why the term is used erronously even by wikipedia sometimes.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I was puzzled whether to include Rwanda or Srebrenica/Serbia but the first one was part of wartime battles, the 2nd one was ~8,000 people from one village. Genocide as an idea is the belief to exterminate one race/culture, not just kill many people which is why the term is used erronously even by wikipedia sometimes.
Rwanda was definitely a genocide, regardless of the trigger.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
interestingly you're wrong here. The difference between Germany and those countries is that in history they have never had any redeeming qualities or acts of kindness and good that gives their history two sides. Furthermore they committed the largest genocide in history just these past few decades and the people and the country have not changed. They are once again immediately back at it trying to dominate Europe and tell others what to do.

There was this really telling article (I'll try to find) that is of a holocaust survivor saying there is something deeply concerning about the German people that to this day still scares him and fears if the German economy were to go bad like it did in the early 30s the country could easily seep back into authoritarianism.
I can see why a holocaust survivor would feel that way, just like an airplane crash survivor would be deeply suspicious of airplanes.

I'm not aware of any acts of kindness the French or Italians have done either. Russians, Bulgarians, Scots neither. Was it the French who accepted 1,000,000 refugees? All the countries that ring Germany are but way stations for refugees that want to end up in Germany.

Kindness is a virtue found in individuals, not a people.

Germany at least can offer a reason for it's unkind behavior: for centuries it was dominated by its neighbors, especially France. But Austria, Sweden, and Russia had their turns too. It took the barbaric repressions of Napoleon I to awaken German nationalism, and to make Germans realize that they would always be subject to repression unless they united. Which they did 60 years later, but not without one more French invasion.

Modern Germany is, IMO, less prone to extreme political movements than almost any other country. AfD would never achieve the prominence LePenn has in France, the Brexit or Scottish independence movement in Great Britain or the Lega Nord in Italy. It would never even elect governments as conservative as those in Poland and Hungary. 2008 didn't rally the Germans to extreme causes, left or right.

Germany is more committed to the EU than any other country. So committed that it insists that all members follow EU rules, including budgetary ones.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Germany is more committed to the EU than any other country. So committed that it insists that all members follow EU rules, including budgetary ones.
That is not the case. France has been violating rules for years, and Germany does not insist on any measures.
Nor has Germany herself kept all the rules.

The reason is the one I already mentioned before, the country has two faces, often saying and doing opposite things, whatever helps its egoistic goals. It is easy to be committed to the EU when you benefit the most from it, often at the expense of others.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'm not aware of any acts of kindness the French or Italians have done either. Russians, Bulgarians, Scots neither.
For starters Albania, Denmark, Bulgaria 'saved their jews', as the story goes. Also: Russia liberated Auschwitz.

"Germany commited to the EU and expects others to..." - well you know: The romans were commited to the roman empire and expected Spartacus to be too.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Guatemala, in the 1980's. But I thought the poster was talking only about Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe