Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM

387 posts, read 380,377 times

Advertisements

It depends, a single bomb can do the business on a capital city without too much damage on the neighboring countries. But it would not be nice

The nuclear bomb today produces less radiation, but a much more powerful blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
It depends, a single bomb can do the business on a capital city without too much damage on the neighboring countries. But it would not be nice
It depends on the weather. The wind could easily carry the fallout from Paris to Germany within a few hours.

That is actually a bad development as it makes the use of such bombs more likely in the future.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM

387 posts, read 380,377 times
According to the televised news of that time in France, the cloud of Chernobyl stopped at the border and bypassed the country, no fake.

But well I really think that it is the nuclear bomb that maintains peace between great power. Without this sword of Damocles the worst would have happened.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Russia liberated Auschwitz because it was in the path of their army. It waited to liberate Warsaw until the Germans had put down the Jewish uprising and killed the Jews. It also murdered 20,000 Polish army officers when it invaded Poland in 1940.

Russia has always been the opposite of kind no matter who the ruler.
Look I'm as anti-russian as one can be but there's a saying in my country that russians can also understand: "kogato faktite govoriat, bogovete mulchat" - not translating it for you...becaus i can lol.
My point is:

Even Shimon Peres personally thanked Putin for "Russia saving them", it's on youtube - if you challenge me I can find said video. Russia was 100 time kinder to the jews than the Nazis and who cares about your lack of knowledge of the dannish/bulgarian/albanian involvement. Again: facts are facts.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,662 times
The title of the thread and the author of the OP clearly show the maturity of some posters.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Look I'm as anti-russian as one can be but there's a saying in my country that russians can also understand: "kogato faktite govoriat, bogovete mulchat" - not translating it for you...becaus i can lol.
My point is:

Even Shimon Peres personally thanked Putin for "Russia saving them", it's on youtube - if you challenge me I can find said video. Russia was 100 time kinder to the jews than the Nazis and who cares about your lack of knowledge of the dannish/bulgarian/albanian involvement. Again: facts are facts.
Maybe after the communists took over. Under the Tsars Russia was second to no one in persecuting Jews.
And many Russians helped the German Einsatzgruppen locate Jews when their villages were occupied.

Everyone knows about the Danes helping Jews in WWII.

I must be unusual in not knowing everything, which explains why I don't about the Bulgarians.

Regardless, the OP is asking what is wrong with Germany. I believe his interest is today's Germany, since he phrased his inquiry in the present tense. There's a history thread when WWII has been wrung out thoroughly and still is.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
All it takes is a country like Spain to say: unless France and Germany get punished as well for violating the rules, we no longer feel obliged to keep them, either.

I never bought into that argument that the EU prevents aggression. We have simply not had a war recently because Europe is old and tired, and because currently there is no reason to have one, which can change, though. Actually, if anything, it's Nato that prevents a war, not the EU. There would not have been any war without the EU, either. Nor will the EU prevent a war if two member countries have a serious dispute. There have been frictions between Spain and Britain for years now because of Gibraltar, with warships in the waters down there.
Fine. Where will Spain get the Euros to violate the rules?

None of the OP's articles criticize Germany for spending beyond its means. To the contrary. It is criticized for not spending like a drunken sailor. The practices of the beggar countries are urged on the lenders.

Memories fade with time. Eventually memory dies. Few Europeans remember WWII and probably no more than a dozen remember WWI as an actual living experience. At best they remember what their dead mothers told them when they were 3.

They may think peace is the normal condition in Europe. That without doing anything peace will reign forever. Unfortunately, that has not been Europe's history. A nationality's contempt, even hatred, for another nationality is the normal European condition. French, German, Russian: the people despised each other. And for good reason: those other people are different from us.

NATO was founded on fear. Fear of Russian expansion, the evidence of which was just over the border.

The EU is founded on the hope that the European peoples will find a way to live together on the world's smallest continent without recourse to the sword at the first disagreement.

Having the EU, even having it to argue about, is much better than disputes being addressed between Berlin and Paris or Moscow and London. The past shows how those efforts turned out.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Fine. Where will Spain get the Euros to violate the rules?

None of the OP's articles criticize Germany for spending beyond its means. To the contrary. It is criticized for not spending like a drunken sailor. The practices of the beggar countries are urged on the lenders.

Memories fade with time. Eventually memory dies. Few Europeans remember WWII and probably no more than a dozen remember WWI as an actual living experience. At best they remember what their dead mothers told them when they were 3.

They may think peace is the normal condition in Europe. That without doing anything peace will reign forever. Unfortunately, that has not been Europe's history. A nationality's contempt, even hatred, for another nationality is the normal European condition. French, German, Russian: the people despised each other. And for good reason: those other people are different from us.

NATO was founded on fear. Fear of Russian expansion, the evidence of which was just over the border.

The EU is founded on the hope that the European peoples will find a way to live together on the world's smallest continent without recourse to the sword at the first disagreement.

Having the EU, even having it to argue about, is much better than disputes being addressed between Berlin and Paris or Moscow and London. The past shows how those efforts turned out.
Well, the Western system is based on making debt. Nor is there much difference to begin with. Germany is also full of debt, per capita it has more debt than the US, Spain, Portugal and Greece.

A mere announcement of a big country like Spain or Italy that it will violate EU rules would send the money markets into deep trouble, something neither France nor Germany can be interested in. So, the question where Spain would get the money from would not even arise. Also, Spain has gone broke before, repeatedly...

So? I continue to say that apart from Europeans' tiredness (people simply have no interest in wars anymore, they seem an absurd thing of the past to most modern Europeans) and mature democracies (in the past it was usually constitutional loopholes that enabled war-mongering dictators to rise to power in the first place), it is Nato that would ultimately prevent military conflicts between Europeans.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
For the record, I love and have a ton of respect for both Germany and Germans.

I see them much like Japan, another country and group of people that I deeply respect.

A lot of people just love to hate-on these two countries....but, for me, I really like Germany (and Japan) a lot. Two of the more interesting countries in the world, and love their high efficiency, high quality mindsets that they take to building products, and just being efficient countries, with high quality of lives.

I also find it irritating that in both cases, just because they do things well, the rest of the world somehow expects them to shelter, feed, and support the rest of the world.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM

High-quality mindset, sorry, but that's BS. My parents still live there and complain all the time about shoddy products and services. That positive stereotype is a myth.
I can't say much about Japan, other than I have heard disturbing things about its society. But their products are certainly good (I mean the ones actually made in Japan, not Japanese products made in China), I would prefer a Japanese one over a German one anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe