Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 AM

985 posts, read 1,856,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

In modern history there are only 3 countries that have attempted genocide: Russia, Turkey, Germany.
Modern history by definition started around 1500. You can add many other countries. If you need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would never say that Germans are poorly dressed. EVER.

Berlin has the most fashionable people in Germany, very artsy and diverse. Not sure why you think they are poorly dressed? Maybe you do not recognize their try to be different and mistakenly judge it as poorly.

And how do you know what all Germans think about work? I would say they are not know for long hours but the hours they put in they are very productive. There is a good work/life balance. Americans work more hours, Germans value their free time. They love to travel and wherever you, you'll see some German tourists.

I do not understand why we have a German bash thread because one person thinks this country sucks. And bringing up the Hitler guilt is just wrong. Nobody mentions slavery every time the US does something controversial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germans are not better dressed than other Europeans. And yes, Berlin has been known for poorly dressed people. Of course this might be changing now thanks to the boom of that city.

Berlin does certainly not have the most fashionable people in Germany. Düsseldorf, Dresden, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt etc. are all ahead.

In German there is the specific term "innere Kündigung" for the the phenomenon that many people hate their jobs and only don't quit formally because they don't have an alternative. It is a well-known problem, not my opinion.
Dude, I never said that Germans are better dressed than other Europeans.

And I will tell my friends not to drive to Berlin anymore for clothes shopping because some people on an American forum said the city has poorly dressed people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephan.../#fde77866a16f

Berlin: The Alternative Fashion Capital - Young Germany

The 15 Most Important Cities in Fashion Right Now | Highsnobiety

I googled INNERE KUENDIGUNG and couldn't find anything on any German or English source what would support your statement.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,782,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Dude, I never said that Germans are better dressed than other Europeans.

And I will tell my friends not to drive to Berlin anymore for clothes shopping because some people on an American forum said the city has poorly dressed people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephan.../#fde77866a16f

Berlin: The Alternative Fashion Capital - Young Germany

The 15 Most Important Cities in Fashion Right Now | Highsnobiety

I googled INNERE KUENDIGUNG and couldn't find anything on any German or English source what would support your statement.
We were talking about how people dress, not whether or not there is a fashion industry. That is not the same thing at all.

Innere Kündigung ist a term almost every German is familiar with.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM

985 posts, read 1,856,496 times
Yes, the term is known, though this state is not restricted to German employees. There are millions of workers in the world who are disillusioned by their jobs and are stuck with them and do not work more than absolutely necessary.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is not the case. France has been violating rules for years, and Germany does not insist on any measures.
Nor has Germany herself kept all the rules.

The reason is the one I already mentioned before, the country has two faces, often saying and doing opposite things, whatever helps its egoistic goals. It is easy to be committed to the EU when you benefit the most from it, often at the expense of others.
France hasn't needed a bailout. Neither has Germany.

The Economist said the purpose of the EU is to disguise German strength and French weakness. This it has done. Both countries and all of Europe benefit from the EU and would even without the exchange of a single grain of corn. Countries come to agreement in the European Parliament now instead of after an aggression of one upon the other.

All countries have two faces because all politicians are two faced. They say one thing domestically and have another version for foreign consumption. This has been going on as long as there have been countries. All of them do and say differently.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:38 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
For starters Albania, Denmark, Bulgaria 'saved their jews', as the story goes. Also: Russia liberated Auschwitz.

"Germany commited to the EU and expects others to..." - well you know: The romans were commited to the roman empire and expected Spartacus to be too.
Hungary and France didn't. Russia didn't save any Jews. Neither did Lithuania. Whatever saving Bulgaria and Albania did has never been significant enough to register on any WWII story I ever saw.

Russia liberated Auschwitz because it was in the path of their army. It waited to liberate Warsaw until the Germans had put down the Jewish uprising and killed the Jews. It also murdered 20,000 Polish army officers when it invaded Poland in 1940.

Russia has always been the opposite of kind no matter who the ruler.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 PM

387 posts, read 381,038 times
Normal that France does not respect the rules that it has itself create on a whim at the corner of a table.

For example, the 3% deficit rule was devised by 3 senior French officials (Guy Abeille, Pierre Bilger and Roland de Villepin) in order to provide President Mitterrand with an easy rule that he could oppose to the ministers who asked him for funds. It took only a few seconds of reflection without work or other economic analysis...

Concerning WWII France, of all countries under Nazi occupation, had by far the highest percentage of Jews who were saved (75%).

Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
France hasn't needed a bailout. Neither has Germany.

The Economist said the purpose of the EU is to disguise German strength and French weakness. This it has done. Both countries and all of Europe benefit from the EU and would even without the exchange of a single grain of corn. Countries come to agreement in the European Parliament now instead of after an aggression of one upon the other.

All countries have two faces because all politicians are two faced. They say one thing domestically and have another version for foreign consumption. This has been going on as long as there have been countries. All of them do and say differently.
All it takes is a country like Spain to say: unless France and Germany get punished as well for violating the rules, we no longer feel obliged to keep them, either.

I never bought into that argument that the EU prevents aggression. We have simply not had a war recently because Europe is old and tired, and because currently there is no reason to have one, which can change, though. Actually, if anything, it's Nato that prevents a war, not the EU. There would not have been any war without the EU, either. Nor will the EU prevent a war if two member countries have a serious dispute. There have been frictions between Spain and Britain for years now because of Gibraltar, with warships in the waters down there.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM

387 posts, read 381,038 times
Quote:
We have simply not had a war recently because Europe is old and tired, and because there is no reason to have one.
It is mainly because of the atomic bomb that has braked the great powers to make war... otherwise the USA and Russia would have destroyed each other for a long time.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
It is mainly because of the atomic bomb that has braked the great powers to make war... otherwise the USA and Russia would have destroyed mutually for a long time.
The atomic bomb does not play a role in Europe. Europeans would not use it against each other because of the small distances. It would be like dropping an atomic bomb on your backyard
I remember the region I grew up in Germany was hit by fallout from Chernobyl, which was peanuts compared to a bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe