Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:10 AM

387 posts, read 380,304 times

Advertisements

I never said the opposite but the French people have the right to prefer to buy French ...

We have the right to preserve an agricultural diversity, and a local agriculture. It is a choice of society that France assumes. Whatever the economic consequences, including paying for our more expensive meat.

We do not want a standardized world !

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 08-18-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 AM

75 posts, read 67,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I never said the opposite but the French people have the right to prefer to buy French ...

We have the right to preserve an agricultural diversity, and a local agriculture. It is a choice of society that France assumes. Whatever the economic consequences, including paying for our more expensive meat.

We do not want a standardized world !
Exactly
You prefer buy this chicken for 2 dollars
https://www.google.fr/search?q=sweet...&bih=662&dpr=1

Or
this one for 6-9 dollars
https://www.google.fr/search?biw=136...04.0L_Y1IZVBoA

Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montpellier34 View Post
Exactly
You prefer buy this chicken for 2 dollars
https://www.google.fr/search?q=sweet...&bih=662&dpr=1

I don't know what is the worst, the product itself, or the people who put it 4 stars on Amazon ...

Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Those kind of extremes can be found in any country. Even though that canned thing looks pretty much disgusting.

How about that kind of stuff? http://static.courses.carrefour.fr/s...18/1573185.jpg

If I would be French, I would probably buy French meat. But it doesn't mean that meat in France needs to be more expensive than in any other country.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM

The fact that the meat is French would be a sign of quality. For example Mac donald in France has done all its advertising about the use of 100% French potatoes. Because in the eyes of the French it is a sign of food quality.

https://m.mcdonalds.fr/documents/101...6-2960a6e9d7e0

I do not know if it is the same in Germany but in France the food and the meal are deeply inscribed in French culture and identity. It must surely be the only French tradition still really alive. It is a political and societal issue that is intertwined.

So you understand that It is a sensitive subject for the French. And the first thing I miss when I go abroad is the food.

For the French meat that you will find for export it will surely be of poor quality, since domestic products barely meet the demand. That's why the so-called "French" products that you will find internationally have only the name that is French.

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 08-18-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Those kind of extremes can be found in any country. Even though that canned thing looks pretty much disgusting.

How about that kind of stuff? http://static.courses.carrefour.fr/s...18/1573185.jpg

If I would be French, I would probably buy French meat. But it doesn't mean that meat in France needs to be more expensive than in any other country.
Most of transformed products use "euro" meat. These nuggets are a melting pot of food...

Anyway, there's the consumer POV but there's also the distributor POV. They answer to a demand, if the demand for cheap euro meat Is marginal, offer will be too.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Yeah, I understand that food is pretty important in France, and also their cusine is among the best and most creative in the world. And also that French people are willing to spend a higher share of their disposable income for food than other nations. But the basic process of making meat isn't much different there. Just fold a chicken nicely and put some golden labels doesn't make it better. I mean, there are great chickens in other countries too, and there are poor chickens in France too.

Advertising with 100% local ingredients is always good for enterprises, as this directly addresses those people that are rather patriotic and people that are worried about food transported over long distances or the predjudice that McD is "always junk food". They can say hey, look, we only use meat of happy French cows.

I would rather say "local" ingredients is a sign of quality everywhere in the world, even though some countries labels developed into international brands and other didn't. Apples flown from New Zealand, meat from Australia etc. is not really useful. I trust the farmer next door much more than any supermarket chain. France is extremely successful in making their food products brands for the world market, the best example is Champaign.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Well the quality and reduction of environmental impact required for meat production in France impose these prices (and it's not expensive at all, a normal french eat meat whenever he wants).
Heavy industry cannot reach it, nothing is perfect...

If french ppl don't want this anymore, then euro meat will appear that's simple. So far it's not the case. And I ll add that high quality products from Spain and Italy have a good success in France. My Italian deli, I want it ultra tasty and I pay for it. I guess we are a majority in France, else the offer wouldn't be like this.

For me the demand creates the offer, not the opposite. That's debatable.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Douglas Dakota : I completely agree, It is silly to say but even if 80% of the French live in town they are very attached to their countryside, farms, villages.

When I buy my beef in the little town of Bazas I know that I buy a local meat, I know that the money will come somehow in the maintenance of the small town and its countryside (by taxes) , I know it preserves a species of beef typical of the area. I buy more than meat, I preserve a small part of France.

I know this may seem selfish in the eyes of other countries (sorry) but it is truly anchored in the French mentality.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that food is pretty important in France, and also their cusine is among the best and most creative in the world. And also that French people are willing to spend a higher share of their disposable income for food than other nations. But the basic process of making meat isn't much different there. Just fold a chicken nicely and put some golden labels doesn't make it better. I mean, there are great chickens in other countries too, and there are poor chickens in France too.

Advertising with 100% local ingredients is always good for enterprises, as this directly addresses those people that are rather patriotic and people that are worried about food transported over long distances or the predjudice that McD is "always junk food". They can say hey, look, we only use meat of happy French cows.

I would rather say "local" ingredients is a sign of quality everywhere in the world, even though some countries labels developed into international brands and other didn't. Apples flown from New Zealand, meat from Australia etc. is not really useful. I trust the farmer next door much more than any supermarket chain. France is extremely successful in making their food products brands for the world market, the best example is Champaign.
You don't detect the difference of taste between an industrial chicken that never saw the sun and the one that runs outside with 'a little bit of freedom ' ? Because the difference is abysmal.
Don't worry, I already bought many times cheap food for peanuts, it exists, the one that want to buy cheap food/meat in France can. The thread is little bit......... exaggerated.

It has not the same quality that's all...I don't like but a lot of people don't care and buy anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe