Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
If I remember correctly, didn't they have to sign a commutation of the death penalty to join an international group of some kind (like the EU, but obviously not the EU)? I don't think it's a permanent commutation either, just for an indefinite amount of time

well I'm no lawyer but as far as I understand there's 'moratorium' on it...so kinda like if someone shoots Putin they'd be killed because the "moratorium" will be removed. Which doesn't seem the same as something being illegal:

https://www.yukon-news.com/letters-o...ats-in-a-name/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:20 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
well I'm no lawyer but as far as I understand there's 'moratorium' on it...so kinda like if someone shoots Putin they'd be killed because the "moratorium" will be removed. Which doesn't seem the same as something being illegal:

https://www.yukon-news.com/letters-o...ats-in-a-name/
"One of the absolute requirements of the Council of Europe for all members is that the death penalty cannot be carried out for any crime. While the preferred method is abolition, the Council has demonstrated that it would accept a moratorium, at least temporarily. Consistent with this rule, on 25 January 1996, the Council required Russia to implement a moratorium immediately and fully abolish death penalty within three years, in order for its bid for inclusion in the organization be to be approved. In a little over a month, Russia agreed and became a member of the Council. Whether the moratorium has actually happened as a matter of legal right is the subject of some controversy."

There it is

Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Me, I would just go to Ukraine, giving up very little of your objective, and avoiding the visa hassles. I think a lot cheaper, too.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Me, I would just go to Ukraine, giving up very little of your objective, and avoiding the visa hassles.
Not dangerous at all? Still pretty?

EDIT: I think I'm pretty dead set on Russia. Ukraine is close, but it's still not Russia.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Madam". I'm a ma'am.
Oh, sorry
*wrote in a little book*

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Definitly easier...for starters it's the only country in Europe (except Belarus) with death penalty, something that will be unthinkable in both western/eastern europe where people are liberal unlike America or Russia.

and whoever thinks I am wrong:

"Article 20 of the Russian Constitution states that everyone has the right to life, and that "until its abolition, death penalty may only be passed for the most serious crimes against human life.""

Again, not something you'd see in either western europe, eastern europe or the so called "ussr".
In Russia moratorium in effect to death penalty from 1996. And there was not a single case applications for all this time. The death penalty is replaced by a term of 25 years. But.. though I'm not a supporter of death penalty but in some case, I think, it may be necessary.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Oh, sorry
*wrote in a little book*

In Russia moratorium in effect to death penalty from 1996. And there was not a single case applications for all this time. The death penalty is replaced by a term of 25 years. But.. though I'm not a supporter death penalty but in some case, I think, it may be necessary.
I, too, think that in some cases, it may be necessary. Some people only have a desire to kill and nothing else.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry
*wrote in a little book*

In Russia moratorium in effect to death penalty from 1996. And there was not a single case applications for all this time. The death penalty is replaced by a term of 25 years. But.. though I'm not a supporter of death penalty but in some case, I think, it may be necessary.
I think I forgot to respond to your email... I'll have to do it tomorrow!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry
*wrote in a little book*

Well, officially, that's true. The problem is, those pesky extrajudicial executions done to people who get in the way of the regime in one way or another.

But maybe that's not relevant, IDK....

Old 04-13-2019, 11:37 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, officially, that's true. The problem is, those pesky extrajudicial executions done to people who get in the way of the regime in one way or another.

But maybe that's not relevant, IDK....
If this would be true that our liberals would have raised a howl up to sky

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 PM

Also, doubt anyone cares, but my family comes from Minsk in Belarus, Chernigov in Ukraine, and I don't know which city in Poland and Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe