Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 03:28 AM

754 posts, read 486,142 times

Advertisements

Biden sitting in conversation with Macron.

https://twitter.com/alexisconran/sta...50201534341125

Not surprising as the democrats are a pro-EU party and look very unfavourably towards Brexit.

They are also an internationalist party that believe strongly in world treaties like NATO, NAFTA, The UN, Paris Climate Accords etc.

Complete opposite from the Republicans of course.

I think what the democrats want is a united Europe to push back against what they perceive as eastern (Russian) provocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Russian provocation says it all. I mean how dare Russia put its borders so close to NATO bases.

One thing is for sure. The western powers are capable of some awesome mental gymnastics.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:08 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Biden sitting in conversation with Macron.

https://twitter.com/alexisconran/sta...50201534341125

Not surprising as the democrats are a pro-EU party and look very unfavourably towards Brexit.

They are also an internationalist party that believe strongly in world treaties like NATO, NAFTA, The UN, Paris Climate Accords etc.

Complete opposite from the Republicans of course.

I think what the democrats want is a united Europe to push back against what they perceive as eastern (Russian) provocation.

Or rather - the RESISTANCE that Russia is putting up to the global plans and aspirations that the Democrats harbor since post-Soviet times.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:01 AM

536 posts, read 611,031 times
Well, I mean, the western part of the EU, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, France, etc. as well as Non-EU European countries with strong ties to the EU like Norway and Switzerland do enjoy the best quality of life in the world. So although I disagree with the EU as an entity in some ways, they have done something right to allow so many people to live fantastic qualities of life with plentiful paid and sick leave, employer-supplied medical, and ample maternity leave and a solid safety net for those who find themselves without work.

What needs to happen now is the EU needs to actually help to bolster countries like Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria because the EU, IMO, has been a total net negative for some of these countries.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:10 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Yeah alternative title: "Old conservative tells a French guy who got slapped in the face the eu is better than emerging powers like China". Speaking of the devil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3vBQsPJx4

That very new Hungary-China relationship is great, at least with Russia many people used to like them (notably right wingers in the west, aka in America) while China is my kinda country, irritates everyone - I approve.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:34 AM

10,095 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Well, I mean, the western part of the EU, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, France, etc. as well as Non-EU European countries with strong ties to the EU like Norway and Switzerland do enjoy the best quality of life in the world. So although I disagree with the EU as an entity in some ways, they have done something right to allow so many people to live fantastic qualities of life with plentiful paid and sick leave, employer-supplied medical, and ample maternity leave and a solid safety net for those who find themselves without work.

What needs to happen now is the EU needs to actually help to bolster countries like Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria because the EU, IMO, has been a total net negative for some of these countries.
Was it not like that before the EU in places like Germany, France, The Netherlands and others (not so much in Poland, Ireland and similar places)?

Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM

^ That's the funny thing about it, he thinks the EU makes countries rich. You know Italy and the UK were always as poor as Zimbabwe, before the EU. Google it lol .

Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russian provocation says it all. I mean how dare Russia put its borders so close to NATO bases.

One thing is for sure. The western powers are capable of some awesome mental gymnastics.
Yeah, especially those mental gymnastics of building a wall around an entire section of a major city then hoping beyond hope that the occupants all caged within swallow the koolade because that's ALL they're going to get fed until they totally subjugate themselves.

Took a massive airlift to keep them from starving at the hands of the Russkies who only had their best interests at heart.

Invasion of Hungary, Czechoslovakia. Went to public school with a Hungarian refugee who brought pictures of the death and destruction to our class, including a picture of him manning a machine gun post at the age of 13. You'd find it tough convincing him Western nations are fudging the books.

Then you get the notions of the Chechnya, Ukraine, Georgia and Crimea having millions of Russians being resettled and inserted into their midst to effectively skew any free election that might be allowed (but aren't) and when that isn't working quickly enough - just invade the places and shoot down airliners full of civilians.

Of course there are no lessons to be learned from any of those all happening to extend Russia's reach and footprint into Europe. The old Soviet Union changing it's stripes by renaming itself Russia? That dog just won't hunt.

No lessons to be learned from the willingness of Russia's European neighbors to join an alliance to keep them at bay. Just the usual mental gymnastics.

I have an umbrella with a poisoned tip only used - well any number of times - but I'll sell it to you cheap.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post

Sorry, you're kinda late for the party...

Old 06-14-2021, 11:41 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Was it not like that before the EU in places like Germany, France, The Netherlands and others (not so much in Poland, Ireland and similar places)?

Yes it was a case BEFORE any EU took place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe