Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 04:40 PM

7,499 posts, read 6,345,543 times

Advertisements

yeah, eating out isn't exactly cheap.

Here in Italy the food is generally great for the price, but you always have to pay for water, bread, and even the fork. Also dessert is generally expensive compared to the rest of the meal, for some reason. In the end it's not that cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 03:19 AM

27,669 posts, read 13,862,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
European restaurants make their margin on drink. U.S. restaurants make it on food. No free refills in Europe and drink bills will pile up quickly.
Free refills only apply to soft drinks and tea/coffee, however upmarket restaurants tend to sell more wine and other alcohol.

Casual and quick service restaurants restaurants tend to make more money on soft drinks and coffee.

Also some quick service restaurants in the UK such as Nando's do have free refills, and some coffee outlets also have a similar refill policy.

However free refills of sugary drinks are to be banned in an anti-obesity drive in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caterer

Restaurants will be banned from offering free refills of sugary drinks from April 2022 under government plans to tackle obesity.

‘Buy one get one free' and ‘three for two' offers on unhealthy food will also be prohibited in supermarkets.

Foods high in fat, sugar and salt, such as pre-packed pastries, cakes and chocolate, will no longer be able to be sold in prominent locations, such as by checkouts and store entrances.

The government announced plans to develop anti-obesity measures in July after evidence suggested those who are overweight are at increased risk from coronavirus.

Under laws being drawn up displaying calories on menus will be mandatory for restaurant, café and takeaway businesses with more than 250 employees. UK Hospitality warned the move could cost some businesses up to £40,000 per menu run.

Restaurants to be banned from offering free refills of sugary drinks - The Caterer

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-03-2021 at 03:30 AM..

Old 10-03-2021, 03:48 PM

7,576 posts, read 4,318,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
yeah, eating out isn't exactly cheap.

Here in Italy the food is generally great for the price, but you always have to pay for water, bread, and even the fork. Also dessert is generally expensive compared to the rest of the meal, for some reason. In the end it's not that cheap.
Americans get so freaked out about paying for bread or water in Italy. I think it's great. If you want bread, its really good bread. If you don't want it, you don't pay for it. I drink bottled water at home and restaurants. It's no big deal to pay for it.

In USA, there are bottles of overpriced wines or glasses of expensive wines. Italy has inexpensive carafes and half carafes of wine. It's a huge money saver.

Best thing about Italy is mandatory tips with an option for additional tips. The USA waitstaff has to deal with bad manners and tips. Mandatory tips seems more civilized.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:06 PM

14,450 posts, read 11,944,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Best thing about Italy is mandatory tips with an option for additional tips. The USA waitstaff has to deal with bad manners and tips. Mandatory tips seems more civilized.
Now I'm confused. Just about every European I've ever met has complained about having to leave tips when they eat out. Now you tell me tips are mandatory there?? How is that better? Is it just in Italy or other countries as well?

For the record, I live in a state where servers/waitstaff always make at least minimum wage, so there's no question of "you have to tip in the US because restaurants don't pay their employees enough." But our European friends, who are mostly German, still act like leaving a tip is the most annoying thing ever and why can't they just skip it if they want to.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:23 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,591,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Now I'm confused. Just about every European I've ever met has complained about having to leave tips when they eat out. Now you tell me tips are mandatory there?? How is that better? Is it just in Italy or other countries as well?

For the record, I live in a state where servers/waitstaff always make at least minimum wage, so there's no question of "you have to tip in the US because restaurants don't pay their employees enough." But our European friends, who are mostly German, still act like leaving a tip is the most annoying thing ever and why can't they just skip it if they want to.
It's in other countries too, but I think it's starting to break down. Two years ago in Amsterdam, I asked a bartender what the general tipping policy in the Netherlands was, and I got a confusing answer, so I think it varies.
Generally, on a menu, you will see a notice such as X% service charge included. OTOH unlike the US, the price you see is the price you pay. Sales (VAT) taxes (up to 25%) are included in the price.

So a restaurant that charges you $12 (20% Service Compris) with a VAT of 25% would receive only $7.20 net.

Add: I should have said $7.20 + whatever VAT the restaurant paid its suppliers.
Deduct what you paid in VAT from what you received in VAT, and you owe the difference.

Last edited by The Very Man Himself; 10-03-2021 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 03:12 AM

27,669 posts, read 13,862,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

In the UK, service charges can be divided in to two types, the first is discretionary, which means you have a choice, as to whether to pay or not.

The second is compulsory, however the fact that there is a compulsory charge the restaurant must make it clear either on the window and on menus or verbally before you eat.

If service is poor, and not up to expectation, then you can legally refuse to pay a compulsory service charge, as the contract will have been deemed void if the service is not up to expectation.

Service charges generally range from 10% to 12.5%, however many restaurants increasingly just inclide such charges in the price of the meal.

RESTAURANTS USE REOPENINGS AS CHANCE TO SCRAP SERVICE CHARGE - Good Food Guide

In terms of Tips given to staff, new legislation means it is illegal for employers to keep any part of a tip or to take a share of service charges paid by card under new legislation.

This new legislation means most service charges are now only beneficial to staff rather than restaurants, and this include chain restaurants. Whether such restaurants decide to keep service charges, remains to be seen, although they may be a useful tool in keeping staff who are often on minimum wages in certain chain restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian (Sep 2021)

Restaurant owners will be banned from taking customer tips and service charge payments from workers under legislation being introduced by the government five years after a ban was first proposed.

The law, which is designed to help about 2 million waiting staff and other hospitality workers, follows a series of high-profile stories about companies deducting money from card payments intended for waiting and kitchen staff.

The government said research had shown many businesses that add a discretionary service charge to customer’s bills were keeping part or all of that cash, instead of passing it to staff.

Some businesses have used the cash to top up managers’ or chefs’ wages and others have used it to support profits.

A change in the rules has become urgent after the pandemic spurred a switch to cashless payment with 80% of all UK tipping now happening by card, making it easier for businesses to keep funds. Cash tips are already protected by law.

UK restaurants to be banned from keeping staff tips - The Guardian (Sep 2021)
As for bread, it's usually only charged for by restaurants that have a high turnover of tourists, rather than those that rely on a local population, which might be inclined not to return if they are made to pay for such items.

Finally, in terms of the UK there are rules regarding water - Free drinking water - what are your rights? - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-04-2021 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-04-2021, 06:38 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,345,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Americans get so freaked out about paying for bread or water in Italy. I think it's great. If you want bread, its really good bread. If you don't want it, you don't pay for it. I drink bottled water at home and restaurants. It's no big deal to pay for it.

In USA, there are bottles of overpriced wines or glasses of expensive wines. Italy has inexpensive carafes and half carafes of wine. It's a huge money saver.

coming from France where water and bread are free, I'm not into paying for it. I don't care for bottled water.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:11 PM

14,796 posts, read 17,797,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
European restaurants make their margin on drink. U.S. restaurants make it on food. No free refills in Europe and drink bills will pile up quickly.
Not sure about that. Alcohol is usually 2-3x retail in US restaurants. There is very little mark up in Europe on alcohol.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:09 PM

6,938 posts, read 4,402,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not sure about that. Alcohol is usually 2-3x retail in US restaurants. There is very little mark up in Europe on alcohol.

I probably used the wrong word, I was talking about drinks as in beverages in general, not booze specifically. Lunch meals and family dinners typically don't feature a lot of alcohol. European restaurants will often charge 4+ Euro for 14 oz of a non-alcoholic drink while U.S. restaurants will typically charge less for an endless supply of it.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 24,517,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not sure where you are talking about, but Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Greece, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia, Turkey all have lower restaurant costs than the US when comparing like restaurants. Throw in alcohol and the price is significantly less than the US.

The UK is expensive for sure. I have never been to a Scandinavian country, so i wouldn't know.
Price Rankings by Country of Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant (Restaurants)

1. Switzerland 26.98 $
2. Norway 20.95 $
3. Luxembourg 20.29 $
4. Denmark 20.27 $
5. Iceland 19.48 $
6. Israel 18.62 $
7. Netherlands 17.39 $
8. Malta 17.39 $
9. Italy 17.39 $
10. Ireland 17.39 $
11. Belgium 17.39 $
12. United Kingdom 16.31 $
13. France 16.23 $
14. USA 15.00$

21. Spain 12.75 $
24. Germany 11.59 $

Source: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...kings?itemId=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe