Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 11:36 AM

103 posts, read 92,773 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that eating out in North America is seen a bit more of a "luxury' where sure you can eat out but people seem to prefer to cook their food at home.

In contrast, talking with some Spaniards they said that the you can have the "Menu del Dia" and its relatively cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 01:11 PM

6,846 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Odd take. I think it's the exact opposite. I think Americans eat out more than any other people on earth.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:24 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Odd take. I think it's the exact opposite. I think Americans eat out more than any other people on earth.
I agree with this. Restaurant eating in the US is so affordable (I'm not talking about fast food), that some couples do it several times/week, which I find astonishing. Of course it depends on one's income level. But it's still affordable as a once/month or twice/month treat for many people, especially ethnic eateries. If you're talking about fine dining, that's a different matter.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:27 PM

130,845 posts, read 12,212,285 times
I also agree that Americans seem to eat out more. Europeans I have known, seem to take pride in cooking. I think people from Hong Kong eat out alot. I had one neighbor who ate out everyday, I thought that was excessive, but it's not my business.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:20 PM

16,701 posts, read 17,477,956 times
Here in France many restaurants and brasseries are obliged to offer a relatively inexpensive midday 'plat du jour'. They are widely used.

Eating out here is more affordable than it was for us in the UK.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:59 PM

6,846 posts, read 4,306,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with this. Restaurant eating in the US is so affordable (I'm not talking about fast food), that some couples do it several times/week, which I find astonishing. Of course it depends on one's income level. But it's still affordable as a once/month or twice/month treat for many people, especially ethnic eateries. If you're talking about fine dining, that's a different matter.

I know people here who eat both lunch/dinner out practically every day of the week. Dinner out 1/2 times a week seems to be the minimum around here (and buying lunch the rule for a large % of workers).

Old 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,883,343 times
Quote:
I have found that eating out is not always more expensive, but way cheap if you are
on your own and more advanced in age, like retired for a long time... that old...

The portions when you do take out food, are often so large, there is no way to eat it all in one sitting, so it becomes a two-day meal. Most older people eat smaller portions of food.

You can get a really cheap meal at "Panda" for instance for less than 9 dollars.
One main dish (Noodles or rice based), and two entrees.
Next, you go online, and fill out their questionnaire, and get a number.
Then you use this number the next time you get a meal at "Panda", and get an extra entree!
For sure it is now a two-day meal! Do that each time from now on!

Just imagine, being on your own (partner has passed away a long time ago), and you have to cook all this stuff each time you need dinner!? Quite a bit of work and I am sure way more costly than the 5 bucks each meal it would have cost you!

You can do the same with the Chinese "All you can eat" Buffet!
Do the take-out route and only get the healthy stuff at the Mongolian BBQ counter.
The cost there is also less than 10 bucks and no too salty or too fatty items!

"Fine dining", I do at some less frequent intervals with friends. Just for the "company".

We lived (when I was still working) a very long time in Europe and eating out was once and a while for dinner, and more often during lunch with customers. The company paid for those occasions!

With the Family, it was almost never eating out, except when on trips while on vacation!
I also do "fine dining" with my children and their family, and I am the one "treating" them!
I do this once a week with each of my 5 kids (so I do this every 5 weeks with each child) where I have the luxury to have all of them within 30 minutes of my abode! A good time to get to interact with grandkids also, AND a good time to teach small children how to behave in fine dining restaurants!

All said and done, I think The USA eats more out often and also way too big portions, hence the weight problem many have...
You "hate" to 'waste food'... so you 'let it go to waist'? Ghe Ghe Ghe...

Last edited by irman; 07-19-2021 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 03:24 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,321,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I also agree that Americans seem to eat out more. Europeans I have known, seem to take pride in cooking. I think people from Hong Kong eat out alot. I had one neighbor who ate out everyday, I thought that was excessive, but it's not my business.
In Hong Kong even affluent people live in small homes with very small kitchens.
I think you cannot generalise about Europe. We visited relatives in Italy. One cousin would send down for takeaway quite often whereas for another, cooking was a hobby for the whole family.

I suspect Americans eat out more for breakfast than most other nationalities. Breakfast here tends to be slow and expensive, more suited for an occasional Sunday than anything else.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:21 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,603,214 times
Quote:
I agree with this, when my wife and I vacationed in the U.S. we always rented a house or condo.
One of us would fix breakfast of scrambled or poached eggs with salmon or ham, coffee and juice, probably skip lunch, but we’d eat dinner in good to upscale restaurants every night.
Back home in central London, we go out for dinner maybe once per week.
Dinner for two in a good London restaurant usually runs around £90, ($120), with aperitifs, entrées, main meals, one or two bottles of wine, then coffee and Armagnac, (entrées are appetisers over here, not the main attraction).
We haven’t been Stateside since way before Covid, but in the 90s and early 2000s I think that I was getting away with $50-$60 in very acceptable French/Italian places around Richmond VA, Savannah GA, and Punta Gorda FL.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I have found that eating out is not always more expensive, but way cheap if you are
on your own and more advanced in age, like retired for a long time... that old...

The portions when you do take out food, are often so large, there is no way to eat it all in one sitting, so it becomes a two-day meal. Most older people eat smaller portions of food.

You can get a really cheap meal at "Panda" for instance for less than 9 dollars.
One main dish (Noodles or rice based), and two entrees.
Compare to the amount of rice, meat, vegetables you could get for $9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe