Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They come for various reasons. Some are refugees. They don't come to the US with the intent to work only for their compatriots; some end up working for their compatriots in lowly jobs, because those are the only people that will hire them, while they're learning English. Many were taxi drivers; I don't know how you could miss out on this fact; it's so common, that in NY City, there's a genre of humor about Muslim and South Asian cab drivers. I don't know if that's still a viable profession for them (other than perhaps NYC), after Uber and Lyft became popular.

The only hotels I've seen South Asians owning or managing are the low-end kind, like Motel 6 and the like, and most of those are franchises. They seem to get into the business with a minimum of money, then run the hotel into the ground. They're not big on maintenance and repair, in my observation.

It's entirely possible, that some of the people coming from Iran, etc., are highly educated professionals of one sort or another, who found it impossible to function in various unstable conditions in their country or region. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, there was a time, when US immigration policy favored such people. They helped build local and national infrastructures, spurred medical research, and made other valuable contributions to society.
They do make it to the middle tier, extended stay Marriotts, etc. Quite a few on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM

1,719 posts, read 732,477 times
Quote:
Acknowledge which problem, so it can be corrected? Swedish males raping local women during alcohol-fueled partying? (Acquaintance rape) That's been under the radar for generations. It's only recently coming to light and being discussed, due to the panic-focus on foreigners committing stranger-rape.

One of the reports linked in this discussion said, that close to half the reported rapes were by Swedish-born men. This raises the question: are Scandi women more likely to report assaults by immigrants, than they are assaults by acquaintances? Rape has been notoriously underreported in Scandinavia for generations, as it has elsewhere. The women's movement made a significant difference in this regard in the US starting in the 70's/80's. I don't know if that's been the case in Scandinavia. Or Germany, for that matter.
I'm sorry if this offends you, Ruth, but migrant/refugee/immigrant (whatever you want to call them) men from Central Asia, the Middle East, and Africa have been sexually assaulting, raping, torturing, and sometimes killing European women, girls, and boys for a number of years now. There's no getting around it. It's obvious you want to be apologist for these unfortunate, downtrodden souls who only want to live peacefully in Europe, but you seem to be ignoring who has committed the vast majority of skyrocketing sex crimes in Europe since 2015. The women movement in Sweden in particular seems to place the protection of non-European rapists above their own women, girls, and boys. The whole situation has become terribly skewed. PM me if you want to hear some of the horror stories my Danish relatives have told me. Oh, and if it makes a difference to you, I'm an old-school, liberal, ACLU card-carrying Dem who became involved in the women's movement back in the 1970s, so please don't label me as a hate-filled conservative bigot.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:22 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
I go by statistics. And European statistics -- even in uber-PC Sweden -- state that migrant males do this at a far higher rate than non-migrant males. It's better to acknowledge a problem so that it can be corrected, rather than pretend the problem doesn't exist and let it continue, right?

If you think that institutional racism that seeks out and punishes immigrants and minorities disproportionately to native-borns and whites does not exist, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Further I don't know about Sweden being "uber-PC." With the exception of one Norwegian, pretty much every Scandinavian or Nordic racist I've ever met has been Swedish.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
If you think that institutional racism that seeks out and punishes immigrants and minorities disproportionately to native-borns and whites does not exist, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Further I don't know about Sweden being "uber-PC." With the exception of one Norwegian, pretty much every Scandinavian or Nordic racist I've ever met has been Swedish.
So the statistics are false, according to you. Okay. And none of these unfortunate migrants/refugees do anything wrong. Okay.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:29 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
I’m curious what is the male/female ratio of migrants moving to Europe, it always seems like vast majority are men? Perhaps Europe should have gender quotas for migrants? 50% of migrants need to be female? That way migrants have the option to date women who speak the same language and accept their cultural background? People of different religious backgrounds rarely are able to keep a successful relationship unless one of them converts.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I’m curious what is the male/female ratio of migrants moving to Europe, it always seems like vast majority are men? Perhaps Europe should have gender quotas for migrants? 50% of migrants need to be female? That way migrants have the option to date women who speak the same language and accept their cultural background? People of different religious backgrounds rarely are able to keep a successful relationship unless one of them converts.
The majority are draft age men.

It's funny that feminist Sweden is cracking down on Swedish men bringing back Thai brides, due to a few instances of abuse ... but are still letting in and keeping migrant men who endanger Swedish women and children.

Human nature is odd, isn't it?

Old 11-12-2021, 06:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
They come for various reasons. Some are refugees. They don't come to the US with the intent to work only for their compatriots; some end up working for their compatriots in lowly jobs, because those are the only people that will hire them, while they're learning English. Many were taxi drivers; I don't know how you could miss out on this fact; it's so common, that in NY City, there's a genre of humor about Muslim and South Asian cab drivers. I don't know if that's still a viable profession for them (other than perhaps NYC), after Uber and Lyft became popular.

The only hotels I've seen South Asians owning or managing are the low-end kind, like Motel 6 and the like, and most of those are franchises. They seem to get into the business with a minimum of money, then run the hotel into the ground. They're not big on maintenance and repair, in my observation.

It's entirely possible, that some of the people coming from Iran, etc., are highly educated professionals of one sort or another, who found it impossible to function in various unstable conditions in their country or region. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, there was a time, when US immigration policy favored such people. They helped build local and national infrastructures, spurred medical research, and made other valuable contributions to society.
NYC taxi medallions are expensive. Why come here to spend that kind of money? If you already have that kind of money, it will go even further somewhere else. Or they take out a loan. Which is ridiculous idea in the first place unless you have the savings to cover you for a long while, and to throw around in speculation. Which, in turn, indicates prior attainment of wealth. Uber/Lyft not even legal in NYC, or did that change?

And you can literally learn English in just any country. There is no need to pay for that here especially if you are an adult who needs to earn their own living. It be cheaper to learn in own country first.

Motel 6, Super 8s are not cheap to buy into either. Its a huge building with a massive parking lot. We should not be allowing foreign speculators to compete with our own when it comes to bidding anyways.

Iran is stable aside from foreigners trying to mess with them. But for Iranians inside Iran, its stable.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:47 PM

7,362 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite.

In gang rape, it's nearly impossible to find every rapists. Most of the dozen migrant men who raped the German girl will never be identified.

These immigrants sell their daughters to pay debts, marry underage girls, force women to wear burqas, or use corporal punish for wives and daughters, etc.

It's not like they cross the border and have an epiphany and suddenly allow women to have the right to autonomy of her own body.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
They happen in fraternity houses in the USA too. This isn't a "migrant" problem. This is a "men raping women" problem.
Of course one major difference is people unequivocally recognize this as wrong and don't make excuses for the rapey frat bros by, for instance, dismissively stating "Muslim migrants in Europe do it too, so this isn't a migrant problem it's a men raping women problem."

Old 11-18-2021, 10:03 PM

86 posts, read 45,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think a better question is why is rape more common among migrant men from some countries?

Italians are migrants in Spain. Are Italian men involved as much in raping Spanish women?

Mali has a large community in France. Are Mali men constantly involved in the raping of French women?

Are Lebanese men living in the UK increasingly involved in raping British women?

Lumping all groups together is never a good thing.

Well there is not exotic Factor, Spanish and Italian are both Mediterranean cultures, with similar mentality and ever similar Physical appearance, exotic factor is close to zero.

But Middle Eastern and African groups are very culturally different from Germans, and more so the migration patters are different they are almost exclusively men in their late teens and early 20s.. and think what.. they come from societies where men and women live apart..and suddenly they see many women on the streets, and not only that , the women reveal more skin, and they look exotic and interesting for them (middle easterns have long tradition in loving fair featured European women, particularly of Germanic and Slavic origins).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe