Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times

Advertisements

I think in Germany, if your mother was german, then you are a german national. My friend was born in Germany and was living in the USA when her daughter was born. The daughter was therefore a German National.

I am irish and so my children will gain their irish citizenship thru us (we were both born there). I think it can go back to your grandparents ; greatgrandparents is tricky. You need to get their original birth certificate ; not the short one, the long one.

Good luck
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,504 times
Similarly, my dad (and his ancestors before him) was born in Portugal, but he became a US citizen as a child and has lived here his whole life. Does anyone know the process, or if it is even possible, for me to apply for dual citizenship? I want to move to and work in Europe...
Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,857 times
My father has Austrian citizenship. I guess this means I'm eligible for one too. My question is what are the benefits of having an Austrian citizenship if I live in the U.S.?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 AM

248 posts, read 616,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I was reading how a descendant of citizens of Spain (as in the case of my partner, whose grandparents are from Spain), someone wanting to become a Spanish citizen through ancestry will only have to have ONE year of residence.

The only thing I am not sure of is if her Grandparents would qualify her if they were no longer citizens after coming to the US, or if they're no longer alive (her Granfather is dead, Grandma not sure, lost touch when she was young)....
----

If your grandfather (both maternal and paternal) were Spanish when your father was born, then you are Spanish. No residency requiered. No matter if alive or dead. You can ask for your passport at any Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Italians, Germans and Irish are far more generous.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecensor View Post
My father has Austrian citizenship. I guess this means I'm eligible for one too. My question is what are the benefits of having an Austrian citizenship if I live in the U.S.?
If your father is Austrian, you're Austrian. As to benefits if you live in the US, you never know.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strux2009 View Post
Similarly, my dad (and his ancestors before him) was born in Portugal, but he became a US citizen as a child and has lived here his whole life. Does anyone know the process, or if it is even possible, for me to apply for dual citizenship? I want to move to and work in Europe...
Thanks!
If your father was born in Portugal, you're Portuguese notwithstanding his current citizenship. You can ask the Portuguese citizenship (EU) at any Portuguese Embassy or Consulate. It's a automatic process.

Yes, you can apply for dual citizenship.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Do you have much documentation? No doubt it's different for each country.
About ten years ago, I took a trip to London with a friend whose father was English; she was looking into obtaining citizenship. Don't know if it is still the case, but at the time, citizenship could only be obtained through the father's side of the family. My friend had quite a bit of paperwork, but it didn't seem like she got very far with her attempt--maybe she didn't try hard enough, though.
---

If his father was English, he's English. It's an automatic process. He only has to prove that his father is English.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It is impossible in France (even if you have a french ancestry).
---

You are obviously WRONG.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
Start by looking on consulate websites for the countries of interest. Each EU country defines citizenship in different ways. I did it for my Italian citizenship. I was born in Italy and my Father is an Italian citizen. Italy required a direct bloodline of citizenship, i.e. one of your parents had to have citizenship, if they didn't you couldn't obtain it. The process will require birth certificates/passports of the person who you will claim citizenship from as well as your own identification.

If you were born in Italy and your father was Italian, you're Italian.
If your grandparents were Italians, just the same.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I am an American citizen. Just to clear that up.

I just read this article:

With U.S. in slump, dual citizenship in EU countries attracts Americans (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/06/07/s1a_dual_citizenship_0608.html - broken link)

And some of this website:

Acquiring EU citizenship through ancestry or naturalization | Living, Working, Musing & Misadventures in Greece

Needless to say, I am VERY intrigued by this. Before I get too excited I'd like to hopefully hear from someone who has done it. I'm wondering what kind of paperwork/proof you'd need? If I were to do this it would be based on a Grandparent or Great Grandparent. My Grandfather had Austrian citizenship until his death in the mid 80's, my G-Grandfather was born in Ireland. Another G-Grandfather born in Germany.

I have no idea if this would be possible but I am going to investigate for certain. I have for a long time had the desire to live and work abroad but never considered it really feasible.

Anyone else?
I'm pretty sure you would not be eligible for Irish Citizenship - you would be if one of your grandparents had been born in Ireland but since it was a great-grandparent, you are too far removed. The only way around that is if each generation down the line registered their Irish Citizenship - but according to this, it had to be done before the birth of the next generation: Irish citizenship through birth or descent-Information from CitizensInformation.ie
So it's too late for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe