Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:34 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

It is great to have dual citizenship. You can live & work in any of the countries that you have citizenship for without worrying about trying to get a visa/work or resident permit. If you have children you can probably pass on the dual citizenship to them and they would have the same possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,406 times
I am a goan, my mother portuges passport is under process almost 70% done, it took 3 years to reach this stage. How long will it take for me to get mine? And i have married a Muslim does the religion have gat to do something as i need to apply for him also is this possible also my kids can they get the portuges passort. Is it possible to have a dual citizen ship i mean can i still be a citizen of Indian while holding a portuges passport.GEMINI

Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Definitely get it if you can, even if you currently have no plan to ever use it. You never know when a second passport might come in handy in the future. If you have children now or in the future, it could be an advantage for them also some day.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 14,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hello,

I recently found out I can get dual citizenship (US and Portuguese), because my father is an immigrant to the United States from Portugal.

What would be the benefits of getting dual citizenship? Has anyone done it? What is the process?

I believe if I'm a Portuguese citizen, I can settle anywhere within the EU, despite being an "American first".... what would be some of the other benefits and detractions?
-----TRIMAccording to Portuguese Law, you're Portuguese right now. You are the son of a Portuguese. You need to apply at the Embassy and that's all. I believe, I'm not sure here, that you have every right a Portuguese has right now.You can keep your American citizenship since the US allows you to have dual citizenship.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Firstly you need to make sure that Protugal recognises dual citizenship. Spain does not. If you want to be Spanish you have to give up any other citizenship. Does your father have a Protugese passport? Is he still a portugese citizen? If he gave up his citizenship you may not be eligible.
That is not quite so, I have an Uruguayan friend who is also a Spanish citizen. For instance she voted in the last elections in Spain although she has not been there in 20+ years.

Anyway, I don't find it OK to get the Portuguese citizenship just in order to be allowed to work in the EU. If somebody from outside the EU wants to be Portuguese, he or she should indeed move to Portugal, not Germany or France etc. That attitude reminds me of those people who marry someone from a certain country only to get there.

Apart from that, Portugal is a difficult country unless you are rich or self-employed. The prospects are said to be rather gloomy as there is hardly any research etc. Portuguese entrepreneurs take their money to Brazil and Africa rather than invest it here.
And I seriously doubt the US will go down the drain even more than Portugal already has

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 14,752 times
He's the son of a Portuguese that never became American. He's a Portuguese right now. He can work in any EU country, just as any Portuguese. I'd rather have him than a Nepalese.So he wants to go to any country in the EU? So what!!

Last edited by Pogolote; 10-29-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
I thought there was an age limit like 18 years or something like that. Didn't know you can claim it in some countries whenevr you want, regardless of your age.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,703 times
Default Dual Citizenship

Can anyone tell me how I can start the process of dual citizenship for US and Portugal. My grandfather was a Portugese Citizen and I've been told that would qualify me for dual Citizenship. How and where do i start the process??? I live in Florida now and I'm a Natural born US Citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is great to have dual citizenship. You can live & work in any of the countries that you have citizenship for without worrying about trying to get a visa/work or resident permit. If you have children you can probably pass on the dual citizenship to them and they would have the same possibilities.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
its also good to have 2 passports if you travel a lot and need to get visas... you can send one to the relevant embassy and still travel on the other. My husband had British and Swiss and thats what he does.....
We know a guy who has 5.... !! that was impressive. He was born in Tasmania of British parents so had Brit and Aussie, He lived in S Africa and Switzerland for 10 years each for work and got both citizenships and I can't remember where the fifth was from but he worked with my husband in Singapore and was married to a Japanese woman so it could of been either of those..... after he got the second one it just amused him to get more.....

I can't wait to be able to get my Swiss one... I start the process this year

Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Neilfig

Visit the Portuguese Embassy. If your father is Portuguese, you are Portuguese.
The paperwork is minimum, officially right now you are a Portuguese citizen that needs to register his birth at the Embassy's Civil Registry.

You can use your Portuguese/EU passport to enter/work/live in the EU, and your American passport to enter into the US.

Spain allows dual citizenship, according to the Historic Memory Law, any grandson of a Spaniard can become a Spanish citizen if he proves that his grandfather was Spanish when his father was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe