Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times

Advertisements

Dresden. Hands down. It's mostly new construction nowadays. Most of it was destroyed in 1945.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:15 AM

81 posts, read 351,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
No. I've only been to Berlin, Düsseldorf, Bochum, Essen, and I think maybe Duisberg.
Thats not really northern Germany. You missed alot
The cities in the Rhur pott you travelled did the worst reconstruction in Germany. The coast and the Hanseatic cities are worth a visit. Not only Hamburg but also Lübeck, Wismar and Stralsund, whose old towns are UNESCO world heritage. And of course Lüneburg, the Bruges of Germany, maybe the most beautiful town in Germany.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,757 times
The Black Forest is in Baden-Wurttemberg.I have realtives there who live in the Schwartzwald and are hereditary foresters there.
My late father once said if he ever won the lotto he would maybe move to northern Italy or Southern Germany. He mentioned the Garmisch area, which makes sense since his cousins live in Garmisch. Been there since before the 1690s.
Bavaria and the Black Forest is really what people think of when they think of Germany.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

233 posts, read 333,310 times
I really don't understand why Hamburg is kept out of the discussion. As a previous post made it clear (and I totally agree), Americans always have in mind Munich since the US occupation was there. Hamburg remains unknown for the major part here.
To answer your question, I suggest Hamburg, of course not because I live there.
I spent many years in Munich and I am currently living in Hamburg. So I can help you well on this!

Let me start by saying that in my opinion BOTH Munich and Hamburg are Germany's most beautiful cities.

- Location: Munich has the Alps for sure. We got it. Its closer to southern Europe as well. But Hamburg has nice day trips, to the Harz mountains, but especially to the Baltic Sea (which is Germany's sunniest region). Of course, the swimming season is only July and August. But you don't have to swim... The Harz "mountains" are also relatively close to Hamburg, if you are looking for interesting topography.

- Weather: I always tried to convince myself that Munich has the best weather in Germany because I was constantly brainwashed by the Germans. They keep on saying that Munich, the southernmost city they have is sunnier and warmer than the cold flat North. That is absolutely not true. Actually, big differences between German cities in terms of climate can't be really felt. Munich has a lot of rainy days, especially in spring and early summer. Because Munich lies just on the foothills of the Alps, grey clouds are stuck over Munich, so expect to have this "anhaltend dauernden Regen", the Germans keep on talking about. Its like a stretch of at least 3 days in a row with nearly non- stop rain. The Danube and the surrounding region of Munich got always flooded every year (Bavaria and Sachsen have lot of rain in this time of the year). In the meantime, it is usually sunnier in the North. That because northern Germany is subjected to stable high pressure (located usually in Scandinavia) more frequently than the south from April to June. Bavaria (Munich) and Sachsen (Dresden) are normally subjected by low pressure systems from the Balkans. Temperature- wise, the south sees more fluctuation in temperatures, the north is more stable. So it is a few degrees hotter in the south when its sunny and nice but colder when its raining. In summer, Munich is 2C warmer than Hamburg but it rains a bit more. During fall, Munich has better weather though: it rains less and its sunnier than Hamburg (October- November). In winter, here it depends on what one prefers, if you like more snow and sub-zero temperatures, then Munich, if you like cloudy milder weather, than Hamburg. In Hamburg, it rains more in fall and winter but it is milder than Munich... Another feature of Hamburg is the wind, which makes the temperature in winter colder (so probably 5C in Hamburg would be felt like 0C in Munich, not always but this was my impression).

- Culture: they are totally different. Hamburg is more individual (like each neighborhood has its own people and culture), in Munich, its more homogeneous culture, where all people living in the city are the "same" (culture- wise). Hamburg is less conservative, since they have their red district etc. But this is where for me, Munich does better. Its cleaner...

- Salaries: in Munich, they are higher.

- Work: easier to get one in Hamburg. In Munich, it is mainly IT, finance and engineering. Hamburg is IMO more variant: pretty much everything and for everyone but mainly commercial (project management, consulting firms,... because they have the port etc)

- Architecture: more interesting in Hamburg (more modern buildings, more construction going on). Munich is conservative and homogeneous, which I find really good (but boring). Again, here, the factor "interesting life" plays for me a big role when I want to choose moving out.

- Quality of Life: Munich (neater, better salaries and services)

- $: Munich is more expensive (so if you gain more money in Munich, you are going to spend more. Important here is to look for the value of your money. Hamburg has it here better. You can live better and because you have different neighborhoods, you got to spend your money like you want. In Munich, its everywhere expensive. Especially the rents are more expensive in Munich (sometimes you get the same apartment with all same features and services in Hamburg for 100 Euro cheaper).

- People: in the south, more "locker" (easy- going), in the north more formal and business- oriented. In Munich, people seem to be friendlier to foreigners (because they are more used to tourists and internationals than in Hamburg). But in Hamburg, even if they seem a bit reserved at first, once you got to know them, they become astonishingly friendlier.
Happiness index: Hamburg. I am so happy here. Every year, the statistics show that the most happy Germans live in Hamburg. Even if I love Munich, I have to admit that I am happier now in Hamburg as I was in Munich.

- English language: disappointed with Hamburg. People are not used to speak it or hear it, so they really stare at you when you speak it. They try to avoid speaking it... not really international oriented in my opinion. In the south, I mean Munich, they are better international- oriented and speak English better. More understandable towards tourists. Education level in the south is anyways stronger than the north. Best universities are located in BAY and Ba-Wü.

- Food: more fish in the north, more meat in the south. Not really fan of German food, so it doesn't matter in which city. For me Hamburg has it here better because I eat more fish than meat.

In general, Hamburg is more interesting, more variant (only down FOR ME is the non- conservative culture (not really a lot of old architecture and beer culture like the south, where people sit together, talk and laugh, more understandable toward internationals etc.). See, even if the salaries are higher in Munich, you got to spend better your "lower salary" in Hamburg than in Munich. You got to be really happy here. Don't worry for the less friendlier Hamburg, once you meet them and got closer, you will be surprise by how nice they are (do not judge on the first impression, you are not a tourist here, you are going to live here, you should think for the long- run)

Good luck choosing "your" German city that fits your personality the most. But anyways even if I listed the meticulous details for both Munich and Hamburg, there is not really a bad choice to made here, both are great!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM

233 posts, read 333,310 times
PS: nice weather in Germany is not guarantee anyways. If weather is an important factor for you, then better go to Italy.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 17,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGirl5 View Post
...Cologne - nothing too gorgeous about the city...in fact I have to say if you take away the Dom and the river, there is nothing else to see ( I mean sightseeings), architecture-wise is boring....
That's somewhat the same conclusion I've came to after researching and planning a vacation to Deustchland in September. Tripadvisor.com didn't give me a good impression of various things to do in Cologne, except cruise the Rhein and Moselle Rivers. It sounds like Bonn or Koblenz would be better choices. Though there's a place in Colonge called El-DE Haus, which purportedly was the Gestapo HQ during WWII. This sounds interesting.

There is a German medic where I work, and while he did have good things to say about Hamburg, he thought Southern Germany was the area to concentrate a short vacation (nine days).

Old 06-01-2014, 03:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,549 times
Quote:
impression of various things to do in Cologn
I've never been to Cologne. But I guess they have some other treasure except the Cathedral:

Augustusburg Palace near Cologne.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,716 times
Babenhausen

Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2CHI View Post
Is Frankfurt the best city for an american lawyer to get a job, maybe as a legal consultant?
Probably. It's not so great for other things. It has a dull reputation. But, it IS the heart of the Financial Industry. So, yeah, it probably would be a good city for that purpose. And as a Lawyer, you'll probably be working long hours anyways, so having 'the best of Berlin' at your doorsteps with no time to experience it, probably wouldn't have much meaning anyways.

But, yeah, for Professional Business environments, for Finance and Law, than Frankfurt probably would be THE place in Germany for exactly that.

DISCLAIMER to other posters: Responding directly to the OP of the thread, not that I personally believe that Frankfurt is the best city, but it probably is for his specific purpose.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,484 times
Berlin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe