Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times

Advertisements

I recently had a major surgery on March 10th and will be off work a few more weeks. Plan to go back to work on April 25th and my goal is to get back into the gym by late May/early June. I was heavy into kickboxing, salsa dancing and I was doing 5Ks before the surgery. Right now I am not released to exercise but curious to know from others who might have had surgery how quickly you were able to bounce back and get back to exercising...

I had an abdominal myomectomy to remove fibroids which means I basically had a c-section and I know some of you women know the pain of that....

All I know is I have to take it easy and make sure I am 100% healed inside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Much of it depends on the surgery. I had 2 in the past 15 months and I HATED not working out. My problem is that I lost some muscle and ended up skinnier than I wanted to be, then had to get back into the gym to put some more on.

I think my first one they said 4 weeks no cardio and 8 weeks no weight lifting, and maybe something similar with the 2nd surgery, but the second one I started lifting again after 4-6 weeks anyway and was fine. It all depends on what was operated on, how you are healing, etc, but of course the best thing to do is to take the time to heal properly. Enjoy your rest!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much! I am trying to rest but being a busy body...well, that's hard to do! The biggest thing is I am trying not to put on weight..I've lost a lot of weight in the past year so I am trying to at least maintain that!

I just hope I am not pushing this exercise thing too much. MY doctor did say I can walk and that's what I am doing but I hate it...lol, I like kickboxing better!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I recently had a major surgery on March 10th and will be off work a few more weeks. Plan to go back to work on April 25th and my goal is to get back into the gym by late May/early June. I was heavy into kickboxing, salsa dancing and I was doing 5Ks before the surgery. Right now I am not released to exercise but curious to know from others who might have had surgery how quickly you were able to bounce back and get back to exercising...

I had an abdominal myomectomy to remove fibroids which means I basically had a c-section and I know some of you women know the pain of that....

All I know is I have to take it easy and make sure I am 100% healed inside!

I feel your pain! Literally!!! I hope your recovery is going well.

I had 4 c-section deliveries and I can tell you that I was up and to my normal routine when I came home from the hospital (4 days) although a bit slower than normal. I would get tired by early evening too and felt like I needed a nap (I'm sure the baby being up at night was the cause of that!).

By 10 days out I was walking my neighborhood with the baby/babies in the stroller...that was always my goal. I didn't go far at first, knowing that I'd have to walk that same distance back home.

After a month I was back to normal though I didn't do any abdominal or core exercise until after 8 weeks. I started slow with cardio and weights (arms, shoulders) and worked legs (squats, lunges).

You will definitely know if you push yourself too hard so listen to your body. I was in my mid-late 20's when I had my c-sections....I'm not sure how quickly I'd bounce back now (late 30's).

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I feel your pain! Literally!!! I hope your recovery is going well.

I had 4 c-section deliveries and I can tell you that I was up and to my normal routine when I came home from the hospital (4 days) although a bit slower than normal. I would get tired by early evening too and felt like I needed a nap (I'm sure the baby being up at night was the cause of that!).

By 10 days out I was walking my neighborhood with the baby/babies in the stroller...that was always my goal. I didn't go far at first, knowing that I'd have to walk that same distance back home.

After a month I was back to normal though I didn't do any abdominal or core exercise until after 8 weeks. I started slow with cardio and weights (arms, shoulders) and worked legs (squats, lunges).

You will definitely know if you push yourself too hard so listen to your body. I was in my mid-late 20's when I had my c-sections....I'm not sure how quickly I'd bounce back now (late 30's).

Oh my goodness...you're a miracle!! 4 C-sections...oooohhh wee, I bow to you! It's kinda weird for me....I went in for a laparoscopic myomectomy but the needle ended up breaking off in me so they had to cut me open with the c-section to find the needle. I spent about 7.5 hours in surgery and 6 days in the hospital. They made me walk the 2nd day while I was still in the hospital...it was terrible!!! LOL. I am walking now and even driving but I am still sore. As of Thursday it will have been 3 weeks since I had the surgery. I've been walking in my neighborhood but I can't wait to get back to my regular regime!!

I will be 35 this year and I've never had kids so this is so crazy to me!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I had surgery once that caused me to have to lay off exercise for a while, so I do understand how antsy you can get to have back at it. Unfortunately, you do need to be careful about pushing for too much too soon. Since you're cleared for walking, at least get out and do that. Talk over any exercise plan with your doctor, but I'd suggest that if you have access to a pool, there's a good chance that swimming could be the next step after walking. Swimming can give you some more vigorous activity than walking, without the pounding the body can take from many other vigorous exercises.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I had surgery once that caused me to have to lay off exercise for a while, so I do understand how antsy you can get to have back at it. Unfortunately, you do need to be careful about pushing for too much too soon. Since you're cleared for walking, at least get out and do that. Talk over any exercise plan with your doctor, but I'd suggest that if you have access to a pool, there's a good chance that swimming could be the next step after walking. Swimming can give you some more vigorous activity than walking, without the pounding the body can take from many other vigorous exercises.
Thanks ogre, I thought about doing some water aerobics until I am confortable getting back into the regular routine again. I just don't want any setbacks especially if they are self-inflicted!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I'd keep with the walking and then just try to increase your pace.

If I were you, I'd definitely wait at least 8 weeks before doing kickboxing. That form of exercise can be pretty jarring on the mid-section and the twisting can cause some damage as well if you aren't fully healed.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, I can't imagine going in expecting a lap procedure and coming out with major abdominal surgery.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'd keep with the walking and then just try to increase your pace.

If I were you, I'd definitely wait at least 8 weeks before doing kickboxing. That form of exercise can be pretty jarring on the mid-section and the twisting can cause some damage as well if you aren't fully healed.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, I can't imagine going in expecting a lap procedure and coming out with major abdominal surgery.
Thanks so much. My mom and boyfriend said that when I got out of surgery that I kept saying "did he cut me...did he cut me" but they knew that the doctor did but they didn't tell me..I was slipping in and out and have no memory of this at all. I guess subconsciously I knew something wasn't right.
It is kinda crazy since I was supposed to go home the same day....6 days later...well, at least the meatloaf was good in the hospital!!! I ended up with both the lap and abdominal surgery.....my friends think it's funny..I just smile..I'm glad they found the needle..can't imagine going through airport security and setting the systems off!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 PM

I am headed back to work half days this week...not looking forward to this. Yesterday I vacuumed my living room and today....pain in my back..LOL, perhaps domestic duties are not meant for me. I really think I'll be ready to work out in another month or so. For now it's just walking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness