Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,960 times

Advertisements

Machines have advantages:
Take much less time
Allow you to push a lot more weight
Safer
Seem to produce fewer injuries

Free Weight arguments:
Work more muscles
Considered to build size faster
More respected
Better for killing time
Better for working with a partner

Let the debate begin............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,306 times
Lol. You're a good guy JohnH.

Yes, it's generally considered better to use free weights instead of machines.

What I've seen over the years, is that machines tend to target certain muscles more precisely. One would need a lot of different machines to do the full body completely. They do have their place in a workout though.

I don't think machines are neccessarily less of an injury risk. Try doing squats with a smith machine. It's just unnatural and you might get hurt doing it just as easily as with free weight squats. I had a smith machine in my basement gym and gave it away. lol. Well, looking back, I should have probably kept it, as I lift alone.

Not sure how machines can save time. Does it really take that long to load plates on the side of a bar? Maybe you're referring to the weight stack machines. Even so, one would need to rest the 1-2 minutes between sets anyway. So, unless it takes you longer than that to load the bar, then it's all even.

I use machines for when I want a change of pace. They definitely don't take the place of my usual free weight movements. Some pullup machines that help people who can't lift their bodyweight are useful. There are dip machines that do the same. My favorites were the Hammer strength shoulder and chest machines. Not bad, they all have their place.

But I haven't worked out in a commercial gym for years..... and I do miss it.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times
Free weights are more useful because they recruit and utilize more stabilizing muscles. They seem to be more transferable to athleticism.

Machines are easier and quicker and allow you to load more.

Personally, my own routine involves both machines, free weights, and bodyweight movements.

I warm-up with push-ups, bodyweight squats, pull-ups.

I mainly use machines for the bulk of my workout for the reasons stated above. They are convenient, I can load heavy quickly, and can circuit through the machines quickly keeping my heart rate up.

I use free weights typically on a few, compound movements like deadlift, overhead press, and bench.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
I'm not big on machines except for the cable pulleys, those I use often and the leg press. When using free weights, you are stabilizing the weights, and therefore using many other muscles. I feel free weights get my heart rate up as well, but that just depends on the workout. I also feel they are more versatile, you can workout almost any muscle with dumbbells, the same can rarely be said about any one machine.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
I prefer to use free weights mainly because you do use more of your stabilizing muscles and you have a greater range of motion than you do with the machines.

The only machines I use regularly are the cable machines.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
i would like to have someone point out these "stabilizing muscles" on a picture of the body to me. i hear them mentioned a lot, but i dont really know if they exist.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
There are movers and there are stabilizers. Stabilizers support or stabilize the trunk, limit movement in a joint, or control balance. Stabilizing muscles aren’t directly involved in lifting a weight, but instead keep certain parts of the body steady so that the primary working muscles can work.
For example, with a dumb bell press on an exercise ball, the mover muscles would be the chest and arms, but the abs, back and legs isometrically stabilize the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would like to have someone point out these "stabilizing muscles" on a picture of the body to me. i hear them mentioned a lot, but i dont really know if they exist.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
There are movers and there are stabilizers. Stabilizers support or stabilize the trunk, limit movement in a joint, or control balance. Stabilizing muscles aren’t directly involved in lifting a weight, but instead keep certain parts of the body steady so that the primary working muscles can work.
For example, with a dumb bell press on an exercise ball, the mover muscles would be the chest and arms, but the abs, back and legs isometrically stabilize the body.
this actually helped me find some stuff online but i dont know if im looking at some fitness person's theories or actual medical information.

either way, im not sure what the importance is of working small "stabilizer muscles" for someone who isnt an athlete. i just want to look beefcake, so i focus on the "mover" muscles.

i am primarily using machines. i dont like standing close to a bunch of disgusting guys or moving around a bunch of weights. i am very happy with the results i get. if the free weight room was empty, i may try to mix it up more but i dont know if id be any happier with the results. they put in these new free motion bench press machines and i like the regular better because i can push more weight directly with my chest. more weight = more beefcake to me.

oh and i will throw in a comment that some people seem to think that the hammer strength machines are more like free weights, i guess because you physically add and remove plates. they are 100% machines.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,306 times
I liked the HS machines because it felt almost like an incline bech press and at the end of the movement the hands went in towards each other and got an extra contraction in the chest area. Regular BP with free weights could not really do that. Perhaps a couple of dumbells on an incline, but it's still not the same. With the HS machine, I felt tension even at the top of the movement. With the DB incline, at the top of them movement, it would relax my muscles and it just didn't feel the same.

I always use pulldowns for back. So I won't go without machines at all. Even triceps pushdowns. There's always room for both.

Like I said, if I were at a gym, I would use both. they have their place from time to time.

I say if you're doing all machines and it's working, then keep it up. Why not? Nobody has the secrets to this stuff. If it works, do it.

I will add, if you are a competitive BB, I doubt one can get those physiques with just machines. Not sure why not, but I doubt it. Maybe it's the weight they have to move to get that big. I don't know.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this actually helped me find some stuff online but i dont know if im looking at some fitness person's theories or actual medical information.

either way, im not sure what the importance is of working small "stabilizer muscles" for someone who isnt an athlete. i just want to look beefcake, so i focus on the "mover" muscles.

i am primarily using machines. i dont like standing close to a bunch of disgusting guys or moving around a bunch of weights. i am very happy with the results i get. if the free weight room was empty, i may try to mix it up more but i dont know if id be any happier with the results. they put in these new free motion bench press machines and i like the regular better because i can push more weight directly with my chest. more weight = more beefcake to me.

oh and i will throw in a comment that some people seem to think that the hammer strength machines are more like free weights, i guess because you physically add and remove plates. they are 100% machines.

Even if your goal is to only have mirror muscles, then free weights are superior. Machines isolate muscles and generally only incorporate one or two muscles at a time. Free weights incorporate more muscles at one time and make you work harder as you are having to control the movement of the weight rather than a machine. The extra work you cause the muscles releases greater amounts of HGH which is a key component in building up muscle. The more muscle you build; the more beefcake.

Overall I say that one's strength workouts should be centered around free weight movement. Machines are ok for subsidizing, but they shouldn't be the main part of your workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness