Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
There is some sort or corrollation between current National obesity levels, and the steroid/hormone/added chemical levels in our food VS oh let's say 30yrs ago. There just HAS to be. IMO, it is a factor in obesity today.
But the science does not support your opinion. See the links in the post above by Flyover _Country.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
There is some sort or corrollation between current National obesity levels, and the steroid/hormone/added chemical levels in our food VS oh let's say 30yrs ago. There just HAS to be. IMO, it is a factor in obesity today.
no, there isnt. there is going to be a correlation between the amount of calories people eat and obesity levels.

people can choose to draw countless correlations and they dont mean a thing. i could say that back in the older days when there were less "processed foods" the life expectancy was much lower. as processed foods have become more common, life expectancies have gone up. that sounds like it would be true to me, but the world is a more complicated place than that and not everything is correlated just because you want it to be.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But the science does not support your opinion. See the links in the post above by Flyover _Country.
See, this is where you are saying correlation=causation, and that is wrong.

Of COURSE the "scientific community" doesn't want you to see a connection, they make MONEY ( and TONS of it), by formulating those things. They don't wanna loose their cash cow. Just ask Monsanto about that....

Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Um, it appears you are the one saying that correlation equals causation here.

It does not help your argument to invoke a conspiracy theory.

What we put into our mouths --- and how much of it --- is under our control. Americans are fat because they eat too much and do not exercise enough.

When it is looked at objectively, food additives just do not seem to be a factor.

When almost 10% of daily calories come from sugary beverages, then that is a factor. Does not matter if it's cane sugar or HFCS.

The studies just do not support HFCS (or MSG) causing overeating.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Um, it appears you are the one saying that correlation equals causation here.

It does not help your argument to invoke a conspiracy theory.

What we put into our mouths --- and how much of it --- is under our control. Americans are fat because they eat too much and do not exercise enough.

When it is looked at objectively, food additives just do not seem to be a factor.

When almost 10% of daily calories come from sugary beverages, then that is a factor. Does not matter if it's cane sugar or HFCS.

The studies just do not support HFCS (or MSG) causing overeating.
That's the answer, all the other studies and research and soda this and processed foods that, on and on...

No.

It really is a simple answer, no excuses involved: Americans eat way too much and they do not burn it off. That's it.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM

120 posts, read 313,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
What are the fastest ways to loose a significant amount of weight? I am female, 18, have high blood pressure (on medications) and need to lose 100lbs plus quickly

At my rate i am not losing any weight and always disappointed when I step onto the scale.
Have a doctor wire your mouth shut and jog 5 miles a day.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Have a doctor wire your mouth shut and jog 5 miles a day.
And this comment helps OP just how? Did you actually read the entire thread?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 AM

120 posts, read 313,262 times
Quote:
And this comment helps OP just how? Did you actually read the entire thread?
Didn't have to. The OPs first post is all I need to evaluate her situation. You, on the other hand, spew out all these " scientific facts " gleaned from the internet.
Dieting is big business in America. Most of it is bogus snake oil.

The Op stated she needed to lose 100 pounds fast and was disappointed in the results so far. The underlying message here is, " I'm fat and I need to lose weight but I don't have the willpower to do it on my own. I need a miracle so I can lose years of fat in a couple of weeks." Give me a break !

Why beat around the bush when the truth will do ?

Take in more calories than you burn off = fat
Balance caloric intake with calorie burn off = maintain weight
Burn off more calories than taken in = weight loss.

This is a very basic formula everybody learns in grade school health class.
Unfortunately it requires a little discipline which most fat people don't have. They would rather wait for the next miracle pill or fad diet to come along while they sit there with their big bag of chips and diet soda or box of Krispy Kremes consoling themselves. Americans simply eat too much and don't get enough exercise. Blunt but true. Don't attack me for telling the truth.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
drink lots of warm water. so much water that it makes you constantly full and eat small but healthy well balanced foods high in fiber like fruits, vegtables and whole grain breads. it sounds too easy but this can dramatically afect the weight of an obese person buy both reducing fat calories and cleaning you're system out.

take you're time and let the pounds drop week by week. rapidly cutting weight is not a good Idea
good luck

Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
so TreasuredJewel, whats the current weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness