Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm 6'4" and weigh about 220lbs and I wear pants with 36" waists (I wear a 44 or 46 jacket). I'm absolutely not overweight, nor am I a giant bodybuilder. I would be larger than 32" waist, as measured, even at 5% body fat.

Conversely, I know guys that are my height and even taller that would be chubby at 32" waists. Like BMI, there just isn't an accurate "across the board" manner to apply it. The only true measurement is bodyfat percentage.
I 100% agree with this. I see plenty of "skinny" guys that look like absolute garbage with their shirts off (soft bellies) as well as "stocky" guys who are ripped. This whole thread is sort of pointless except for the fact that it illustrates the broad range of waist sizes for guys depending on build/bone structure/etc. I think us guys have a bad habit of getting hung up on metrics as a means of self-validation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
What's your height/weight, Antlers? I posted a pic of me in this thread on page 4. Do I look overweight to you?
Not antler but no. You look like a normal dude. My brother who can't even fit into 32s when he is skin and bones(like I already stated) is around your same numbers but looks even more muscular. He worked out all day while waiting on a job last summer and he looked like an army doll or something. 44's were metro tight and 46's were classic fits. He was so lean he just had the skin wrinkle on his stomach when he sat at the pool. Just posting his jacket size as I asked him after this thread had me wondering. He was not huge like a body builder either.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
What's your height/weight, Antlers? I posted a pic of me in this thread on page 4. Do I look overweight to you?
It's hard to tell.

But the whole problem with this thread is the state of denial which is rampant in men.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's hard to tell.

But the whole problem with this thread is the state of denial which is rampant in men.

According to you. Besides, this thread isn't about whether or not men have an accurate idea of their own fitness, it's about "optimal waist size" and YOU came in here unbidden and put a hard cap on 32" waists.

I simply pointed out that there are lots of people with larger waists than that who are NOT overweight. Myself included.

You never answered about your height/weight, though. I'm betting you're a relatively little guy and that fact (naturally) skews your perception on this topic, I believe. Am I right?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The hot football players are usually the quarterbacks with the 32 inch waist. No one is looking at the fat linebackers with the 38 inch waist.
Oh, really? LMAO! Okay.....

Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Oh, really? LMAO! Okay.....
Exactly. The Linebackers are probably the baddest dudes on the field and in the best shape. Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing are studs.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Exactly. The Linebackers are probably the baddest dudes on the field and in the best shape. Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing are studs.

No kidding, Lao! Tell Ray Lewis he's fat and see what happens....

Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,116 times
Getting back down to a 30 waist pants size is my goal (currently 5'11"). Last year or two I've been getting lazy with my exercise (been doing it for too many years, getting a tad burned out) and pushing the high side of 32, but I'd ideally like to get back down to 30 waist with my weight being in my preferred ideal range of 120 - 135'ish pounds for quite a few more years while I still have some physical fitness left in me, and thereafter I'd really like to never go over a 32 waist (34 absolute most) until I reach old age.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-15-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
They may be the baddest dudes but they are not hot. James Gandolfini is a bad dude but he's definitely not sexy. The only reason you may see a fat linebacker with a hot girlfriend/wife is because he's making NFL money. Take the money away and they will be with a fat girlfriend/wife.

Saying that a guy with a 38 inch waist is hot would be like saying a girl that is size 12 is hot. It's just not the case.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
They may be the baddest dudes but they are not hot. James Gandolfini is a bad dude but he's definitely not sexy. The only reason you may see a fat linebacker with a hot girlfriend/wife is because he's making NFL money. Take the money away and they will be with a fat girlfriend/wife.

Saying that a guy with a 38 inch waist is hot would be like saying a girl that is size 12 is hot. It's just not the case.
It must suck to be so poor you have to settle for a size 12 chick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness