Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I thought he had lost a lot of weight and was hoping to lose a little more to get rid of his belly? If you feel walking (and further cutting his already too low calorie intake) is more likely to do that than the exercise program he has chosen, then I can see why you would have given that advise. Seems unlikely to me though.
Well I can tell you for sure paying more attention to what he eats would help him reduce that 35" waist. I'll bet anything he's eating more calories than he thinks or wants to admit. You exercise to condition, you diet to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiren View Post
Can you give me some examples? I can not afford the food in the nutrition guide.
For breakfast have 2 or 3 eggs fried, scrambled, or boiled, with some sauteed onions and vegetables like zucchini (my breakfast of choice). Would run you only about $1-2 for that. It would be about 400 calories and you probably wouldn't be hungry until lunch time.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Wow, talk about shooting the messenger! I'm not the guy who wrote the article on Livestrong.com.

What is your average heartrate during the hour of P90x plyo?
Varies. Usually between 160 and will go just above 180 when I'm about to die.
During Insanity workouts it's in the 170s most of the time.

It drops down very quickly when I slow down or stop and I don't think it goes above the 180s ever (during P90X, Insanity or any other workout including sprints).

I know a lot of people who do P90X with unbelievable success. Don't take my word for it, or some article. Ask others who do it and see what they say.

Most people who fail with P90X do so because they ignore the nutritional guidelines (including eating enough calories! ) or give up because they can't handle the intensity.

P90X changed my life so yes, I am a fan.
Everyone I know who has done it has had phenomenal results and learned a lot in the process.

Anyway I'm now arguing with multiple people over how many calories are burned during P90X workouts which is utterly ridiculous as I can only give MY experience and that of the people I know (and those on the message boards).

As soon as the people telling me how many calories I'm really burning strap on a monitor and do Plyo then I will be far more inclined to listen to their opinions on how many calories that work out burns.

And Plyo is a walk in the park next to Insanity - but I like P90X as it's more well rounded.

Eh whatever - I was trying to help the OP but everything I say gets contradicted and ridiculed by people who have never even tried it and yet consider themselves the last word on the truth. It's just not worth it. Once again I would advise the OP to ask other P90X grads rather than the 'experts' here.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
I'm not arguing the effectiveness of P90x, at all. I was simply trying to point out that estimates of calories burned, much like actual results, can vary a great deal.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm not arguing the effectiveness of P90x, at all. I was simply trying to point out that estimates of calories burned, much like actual results, can vary a great deal.
Of course they can. However I think one poster was claiming it burned some ridiculously low level of cals and that's simply not true for me or anyone I know who's done it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
As soon as the people telling me how many calories I'm really burning strap on a monitor and do Plyo then I will be far more inclined to listen to their opinions on how many calories that work out burns.
And here is where your argument is getting blasted. You keep pointing to what your heart monitor tells you as fact and people like me are pointing out you're numbers are wrong because you're using something known to be inaccurate.

Personal testimony has it's place in the fitness world, but science always takes precedence.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And here is where your argument is getting blasted. You keep pointing to what your heart monitor tells you as fact and people like me are pointing out you're numbers are wrong because you're using something known to be inaccurate.

Personal testimony has it's place in the fitness world, but science always takes precedence.
Oh come on. Give it a rest. There is a margin or error, sure. This doesn't come close to proving your point.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Oh come on. Give it a rest. There is a margin or error, sure. This doesn't come close to proving your point.
A 120% difference is substantially outside of "margin of error" territory.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,190 times
I know that usually when people report nil weight loss there are usually 2 responses:

1. The person is not being honest about what they are ingesting
2. The person is in "starvation mode"

Let me correct the starvation mode theory first. Unless your body fat percentage is in the 4-5% range, you will not be in starvation mode. Studies have proven this quite conclusively, and muscle mass does not even begin to be compromised until you reach this body fat level. If you have plateaued then it will be for a different reason than "starvation mode". Starvation mode is basically a myth of the industry and it's time to ditch it.

Secondly, we do not know enough about weight loss to be able to speak conclusively about what may or may not be happening when weight loss fails. I myself am on a 500-calorie-a-day regime (not HCG because scientific studies show HCG has nil effect compared to placebo). Initially I lost a lousy kilo a week, and now for the last 12 days I have not lost a gram.

This would appear to defy the laws of physics. As someone who has studied overweight and obesity for 2 decades, long before I began to gain weight, all I can say at this time is that the prime issues, particularly for anyone middle aged or older, are related to changing gene expression.

It appears there could be a product arriving late 2013 which has the clinicals demonstrating correction of this problem, but we shall have to wait and see.

Meanwhile for many of us starvation seems to be the only way to keep the weight from spiralling completely out of control.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
As others have said, the protein shakes are killing you. Getting the body you want is 80% kitchen 20% routine. I would like to know what kind of protein shakes you are having. Make sure the food you are eating is not processed.

Your bread, you said it is multigrain, but what is the first ingredient on the label? If it is not whole wheat flour then change your bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness